About Us

Andalusia Public Library was founded in 1920 by the Andalusia Study Club and opened in the reception room of the Masonic hall. The nucleus of the library was 100 books donated by various army camps in Alabama. After several years of contributions and with the help of the WPA, a new library was built. Called "one of the loveliest little libraries in the state", the new library opened its doors in 1939. Those doors remained open for the next 28 years. In 1963 it was time to expand. Mrs. D.D Chapman lead a movement to obtain the Andalusia Post office building, which was being replaced with a new post office, for the new public library. The federal government granted the request and the library opened its new doors in 1967. In 1979 the Charles Dixon Memorial meeting room was added to the library thanks to the generosity of Thelma Dixon. A reference room, genealogy room, periodical room and children's library were added soon after.  The library will celebrate it’s 100th anniversary in 2013.

To read a book for the first time is to make an acquaintance with a new friend; to read it for a second time is to meet an old one. - Anonymous, Chinese saying

Main Floor

• New and old adult  fiction and
• non-fiction.
• Biographies
• Videos, DVD, music CDs,
• Software, talking books.
• Learning lab, internet access
•  Word processing computers.
• Large Print books.
• A.V equipment.
• Dixon Memorial Room.
• Community Arts and Crafts
• Teen Room
• Wi-Fi hotspot

Upstairs

• Reference department
• Genealogy Room
• Research material
• Medical Books
• Code of Alabama law books
• Census on Microfilm
• Newspapers on microfilm
• Periodical Room
• Echoes and Vision Project
• Genealogy Software
• Connecting Families Web Cam

Downstairs

• Children’s Department
• Fiction and Non-fiction books
• Children's computer and educational software.
• Puppet theater
• Talking books
• Magazines
• Summer Library program
• Story Time activities
• Tree house
• Parents resource center

Pages (Categorized):