Inventories G

The Stewart Bell Jr. Archives Room
Handley Regional Library/ Winchester-Frederick County Historical Society

Galilee Christian Church Records, 1755 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection contains the Board of Directors meetings, minutes and financial records for the Galilee Christian Church from1993-2014. Also found within the collection is information regarding the Sunday school program at the church, related news clippings, as well as a compiled history of the church in celebration of the centennial (1873-1973). (3 boxes) Last Updated 11/2016
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: The Galilee Christian Church was founded in 1873 and has been in existence for nearly 150 years. The church is dedicated to Christian service. Initially, a small church building was constructed on land provided by Mr. James Clevenger and within a few short years, the congregation had grown considerably. A new building was constructed approximately twenty years after its founding and has since remained in use. The congregation remains intact and steadfast in their service of Christ and they continue to grow and amass new followers and support. 

George Washington Hotel Collection, 830 # WFCHS
Scope and Content: The collection contains news articles, memorabilia, and promotional material from the George Washington Hotel of Winchester, VA
(1 box) Last updated 07/11.
Biographical/Historical: The George Washington Hotel, located on the southeast corner of Piccadilly and Cameron Streets, opened in Winchester, VA on June 17, 1925. For many years the five story, 102 room hotel was the social hub of the Lower Shenandoah Valley. By 1975 the hotel’s heydays seemed behind it, and it was turned into an adult assisted living home until 1995. Completely vacant since 1997, the hotel, after extensive renovation, was reopened in April 30, 2008 as a 90 room historic hotel.

Ginn Family Collections, 1672 WFCHS
Scope and Content:
The collection contains memorabilia from the Ginn Family during the late 19th and early 20th century. Included are documents relating to Fairfax Hall, including certificates and a graduation diploma awarded to Edith May Ginn, letters addressed to Ginn while she was a student at Fairfax Hall, and several poems written by her while there.
(1 box) Last updated 05/09.
Biographical/Historical: The Ginn Family were long time residents of Frederick County, VA.

Ginn, Goldie Affleck Collection, 1561 WFCHS
Scope and Content:
This collection contains a variety of items from the life of Eula Affleck including an Easter Sunday School bulletin, an essay on the Apple Blossom Festival written in 1927, and a letter to Ms. Affleck from H. S. Duffey while she was a teacher at Woodbine School. Ms. Affleck, who spent most of her professional life as a teacher at Virginia Ave Elementary School, taught in the Winchester City School System for 45 years. She died on November 28, 1975. is also with the collection.
(1 box) Last updated 03/10.
Biographical/Historical: Goldie Affleck Ginn was a long time Winchester resident and a 50 year employee of Big A Auto Parts. A niece of Eula Affleck, she was born on February 17, 1916 and died September 4, 1995. In 1954, Goldie married H. Brisco Ginn, who donated the items in this collection.

Glaize, Edwin Collection, 67 WFCHS
Scope and ContentThis collection includes histories, both published and unpublished, supporting documents, correspondence and scrapbooks of the Glaize family and antecedents. Photographs and the Dorsey Family Bible are included in the collection. (4 boxes)
Last updated 04/07.
Biographical/Historical: Edwin "Woody" Glaize was born in Winchester, Virginia, on Nov. 12, 1912, the son of Robert Lee and Sarah Dorsey Glaize. He was a descendent of, and collected information on, several families including Benjamin Alden Baker, Dorsey, Gold, Greenway, Lockhart, Wolf, and Yeakley and died on April 24, 1987.

Glaize, John Papers, 1353 WFCHS
Scope and Content:
The John Glaize Papers is a collection of deeds and legal papers, both business and personal. Business accounts and tax and insurance records are also included.
(1 box) Last updated 04/04.
Biographical/Historical: John Glaize was a native of Frederick County, VA, son of Henry and Anne Yeakley Glaize. He was captain of the Quartermaster Dept. of the VA Militia. He married Selina G. Baker, daughter of Edwin S. Baker, and had one son, Robert E. Glaize. He served as High Sheriff (1867-1868), served two terms as president of the Winchester City Council, and was director of the Winchester and Potomac Railroad and the Valley Turnpike Corporation.

Glass, Robert D. Family Collection, 1007 THL
Scope and Content:
This collection contains account books, wills, estate papers, correspondence, legal papers, and genealogical materials concerning the Robert D. and Robert J. Glass family.
(2 boxes) Last updated 12/03.
Biographical/Historical: Robert David was born Dec. 12, 1771, to Robert and Elizabeth Fulton Glass. On Dec. 24, 1805, he married Elizabeth Rust and had five children. Robert. D. Glass died on Dec. 12, 1844, and is buried in the Opequon Presbyterian Church Cemetery, Winchester, VA.

Glass, William Wood Papers, 20 WFCHS
William Wood Glass was a direct descendant of Col. James Wood, the founder of Winchester. Glass lived from July 24, 1874 to August 29, 1954. He practiced law in Waynesboro and Winchester, Virginia, and served as mayor of Winchester from 1920 to 1924. He was considered to be an authority on local history.
This collection contains land abstracts, local histories, correspondence, genealogy on local families, news articles, scrapbooks. It provides a broad view of early Winchester history during the 1700s and 1800s. (5 boxes) Last updated 11/02.

Glen Burnie Garden Club Records, 1688 THL
Scope and Content:
This collection contains the records of the Glen Burnie Garden Club of Winchester, VA, and includes minutes, membership directories, program, news clippings, and awards.
(2 boxes) Last updated 02/10.
Biographical/Historical: Founded in 1960, the Glen Burnie Garden Club celebrates its 50th anniversary in 2010. The award winning local civic organization has spent the last half century helping to beautify local landmarks such as the Kurtz Center, Abram’s Delight, and other sites.

Glover, Marjorie Collection 1652 WFCHS
Scope and Content:
The collection contains several items relating to Winchester in the first 15 years after World War Two including four minstrel show programs, two of which chronicle performances by Patsy Cline before her rise to stardom, and a Place Mat for a local diner. (1 box) Last updated 06/2008

Gougé, John Oscar and Susan Cornelia Jones Papers, 1074 THL
Scope and Content: This collection consists largely of both manuscript and typescript correspondence between John Oscar Gougé and Susan Cornelia Gougé, née Jones. There are also letters from Susan’s mother, Gladys Moon Jones, copies of V-Mail, a few photographs, and news articles.
(5 boxes) Last updated 08/12.
Biographical/Historical: John Gougé was born June 6, 1921 to John Oscar and Lucille Florence Schutt Gougé Miller. Susan (sometimes called Cornelia, Connie, or Sue) Jones was born April 18, 1924 to Harry Le Roy and Gladys Moon Jones. The couple met while they were at school at Gordon Junior High School and Western High School. During World War II, John served in the 11th Parachute Maintenance Company, and though he was mainly stationed domestically, such as in Fort Polk, Louisiana, and Los Angeles, he was also stationed in Japan at the end of the war. As they corresponded, Susan became very religious started going to college in the hopes of eventually becoming a missionary. She first attended the American University in Washington, D.C., and later restarted school at Louisiana College in Pineville, LA, and transferred to George Washington University in 1945. She received a degree in biology in 1948. John and Susan married in July 1943, despite many cautions against it by Susan’s parents. After the war, Susan, a professionally trained harpist, performed with the National Capital Harp Ensemble for a time. Later, in 1984, Susan received a degree in public health from the College of Norwich, after which she and John moved to Clayton House in the Shenandoah Valley. John died on March 13, 2003, and Susan on November 30, 2005. They are buried in Quantico National Cemetery in Prince William County, Virginia due to John’s affiliation with the TEC 5 U.S. Army.

Gordon, Dr. James C. Jr. Collection, 1687 THL
Scope and Content:
This collection contains a tooth-extractor made by Dr. William Janney Best in his blacksmith shop.
(1 box) Last updated 04/12.
Biographical/Historical: Doctor James C. Gordon Jr. is long time resident of Winchester, Virginia. Doctor William Janney Best (1834-1908) was a family doctor in Brucetown, VA.

Gordon, Langdon Collection, 452 WFCHS
Langdon Gordon, a resident of Winchester, Virginia, compiled this collection.
(1 box) Last updated 02/03.

Grace Lutheran Church Collection, 724 WFCHS
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection contains items relating to the Grace Lutheran Church, during the period of 1776 to 1978, including Church minutes, membership rosters, church magazines, newsletters, and historical information.
(1 box) Last updated 01/16.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Grace Lutheran Church of 20 West Boscawen Street, Winchester, VA, was established between 1759 and 1762. The original church was destroyed by fire and was located where Mt. Hebron Cemetery now stands. The present location of the church was erected in 1842 and formally called Grace in 1877. The first pastor of the congregation was Reverend Christian Streit. The church is still in use and supports many local organizations.

Grace United Methodist Church Records, 697 THL
Scope and Content:
This collection is comprised of an account book, 1899-1911, for the Grace United Methodist Church in Middletown, Virginia.
(1 box) Last updated 06/03.
Biographical/Historical: This church, first called the Methodist Church, started in Middletown, VA in 1816. The original church was a log structure. In 1853, the log church was replaced by a brick church, which was used as a hospital and stable by federal troops during the Civil War. The current church was built in 1898 and still has one of the last hand-played carillons in the Shenandoah Valley. After the Civil War, the church became part of the "Methodist Episcopal Church, South"; in 1939, it became part of the "Methodist Church"; in 1968, it became "United Methodist Church."

Graham Family Collection, 798 WFCHS/THL
Scope and Content: This collection contains writings of Henry Tucker Graham and John Randall Graham as well as the memorial biographical sketch of Fanny Bland Graham and biographical sketch and reminiscences of John Randall Graham. Historic figures mentioned include Washington, Lee, Stonewall Jackson, Woodrow Wilson, and John Randolph. (1 box) Last updated 10/09.
Biographical/Historical: James Robert, Henry Tucker, and John Randall Graham were the sons of Fanny Bland and James Robert Graham. The Rev. D. James Robert Graham served as pastor of the Kent Street Presbyterian Church from 1851 until 1900. Dr. and Mrs. Graham had eight children, three of whom became ministers (Alfred T., James R., and Henry Tucker). John Randall Graham, M.D., practiced medicine in New York City for 54 years.

Grant, S. Lee Collection, 1297 WFCHS/THL
Scope and Content:
This collection contains a variety of material, which gives details of Stuart Lee Grant’s life, Winchester Fire Companies, water and sewage works, and general history of Winchester, VA. Photographs and postcards illustrate people, places, and events in Winchester.
(1 box) Last updated 03/04.
Biographical/Historical: S. Lee Grant was born to Stewart and Margaret Grant. January 16, 1907, in Winchester, VA. He graduated from Handley High School in June 1925 and was a member of Braddock Street M.E. Church. Beginning in 1939, Grant served as Winchester City Manager for many years. He died in 1983 and was buried at Mt. Hebron Cemetery.

Graves and Company Records, 1216 WFCHS
Scope and Content:
The collection is comprised of four account books of Graves and Co. of Winchester, VA from 1846 to 1861. Customer names and merchandise are listed. One of the books pertains to a jewelry store.
(1 box) Last updated 03/04.
Biographical/Historical: Graves and Co. was a business located on Loudoun St., Winchester, VA from 1846-1861.

Gray, Robert S. Family Papers Collection, 1429 THL
Scope and Content: This collection is comprised of legal documents (1841-1855), genealogy notes, and a biographical sketch of Robert Gray of the Shenandoah Valley, VA.
(1 box) Last updated 06/12 DIGITIZED 03/07
Biographical/Historical: Robert Gray was born in Donegal County, Ireland on Nov. 1 1781, and was brought to Virginia at the age of four. He was the son of Robert Gray and Rebecca Watson. Gray was educated in Winchester, VA, then at Princeton University. Gray relocated to Harrisonburg, VA and built his law practice. In 1811, he was appointed Commonwealth’s Attorney for the County Court and for the Superior Court in 1815. He held these offices for Rockingham, Shenandoah, Pendleton, and Hardy Counties. In 1812, he married Isabella Lockhart Waterman. Gray died on December 7, 1859.

Greene, Katherine Glass Collection, 712 THL
Scope and Content:
This collection contains a variety of items and works of Katherine Glass Greene, founder of the Fort Loudoun Female Seminary and the great-great granddaughter of Colonel James Wood, the founder of Winchester, Virginia. Including in the collection are several essays written by Greene, memorabilia from the Fort Loudoun Seminary, her obituary, and items relating to her family.
(1 box) Last updated 10/11.
Biographical/Historical: Katherine Glass Greene (1865-1948) was the oldest daughter of Colonel W. W. Glass and his wife Nannie Rebecca Campbell Wood. Greene, a graduate of Fairfax Hall Academy, studied extensively abroad and at several universities on the East Coast. In 1905, she founded the Fort Loudoun Female Seminary with Miss Laura Gold and served as its president until 1925. A widely respected scholar, Greene was the author of several books and articles relating to early Winchester and Frederick County history as well as a book entitled The Evolution of the Concept of God in 1934. She was married to H. R. Greene in 1921. She died on May 11, 1948 and is buried with her husband at Mount Hebron Cemetery.

Griffith, Harriet Hollingsworth Collection, 1179 WFCHS
Scope and Content:
T This collection is comprised of a diary kept during the Civil War (1861-1865) by Harriet Hollingsworth Griffith of Winchester, VA.
(1 box) Last updated 03/04.
Biographical/Historical: Harriett Hollingsworth Griffith was born Jan. 27 1839 to Aaron Hadeney and Mary Perkins Hollingsworth Griffith at Friendly Grove, Winchester, VA. She attended school in Westtown, PA and at the Friends School in Indianapolis, IN (Earlham College). She later became an agent for the U.S. Sanitary Commission (1864). During the Civil War, she met and later married Capt. William Irving Ellis. In 1867, they left Winchester to live in Melrose, MA (near Boston), where they had two daughters. Harriet was active in the temperance and suffrage movement, and she continued her work as a Civil War nurse as a ladies aid. She died on January 23, 1919 at the age of 80.

Griffith, James H. Records, 385 WFCHS
Scope and Content:  This collection contains one account book kept by James H. Griffith (1812-1899) from the General Store in White Hall, VA. (1 box) Last updated 02/03.

Griffith, Richard Papers, 166 WFCHS
SCOPE AND CONTENT:This collection contains genealogy inquiries and responses by Richard Griffith. Also included are Griffith family papers and correspondence.
(4 boxes) Last updated 09/16. DIGITIZED 05/07.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Richard E. Griffith was born on Dec. 24, 1886, in Winchester, VA to Richard E. Griffith and Viola Hunt. He attended the School of Miss Virginia Sherrard and graduated from Shenandoah Valley Academy. For many years, he represented the Frick Co. of Waynesboro, VA. In 1918 he enlisted in the tank corps of the U.S. Army and saw action in France. Afterward he devoted his life to historical and genealogical research and writing of the Winchester-Frederick County, VA area. He authored several local history books. He married Ann Douglas Williams and had one son. Griffith died on Oct. 24, 1945, and is buried in Mt. Hebron Cemetery.

Grim Family Collection, 38 WFCHS
Scope and Content:
This collection is comprised of memorabilia acquired by the Grim family; the groups and activities with which they were associated, dated through the first half of the 20th century. It also contains items associated with Claude Grim’s service in World War I,
(1 box) Last updated 10/10.
Biographical/Historical: The items in this collection were donated to the Winchester-Frederick County Historical Society by an unknown donor.

Grimm, Bobby Collection, 352 WFCHS
Scope and Content
: The Bobby Grimm Collection contains materials relating to the Sarah Zane Fire Engine House and its transfer of property. The collection was compiled by Bobby Grimm, and also contains genealogy materials for the Grim and Anderson families. A list of slaves born between 1807 and 1860 into the estate of John Carper includes the following surnames: Banks, Grimes, Harris, Sprigs, Wells, and Wilkerson.
(1 box) Last updated 01/07.
Biographical/Historical: The Sarah Zane Fire Company was founded c. 1840 and thereafter was housed on Piccadilly Street on property deeded to the city of Winchester by George and Harriet Long on Dec. 6, 1848, where it remained until c. 1879 when the property was sold to James B. Russell. Other deeds in the collection document the property transfers up to 1903. The slave records of John Carper were found in a bible belonging to David Carper Grim who married Nancy Carper.

Grove, John W.  and George A. Grove Wagon Maker’s Account Book, 1821-1833, 397 WFCHS
Scope and Content:
This collection contains a single account book kept by John W. Grove and George A. Grove of Newtown, VA, from 1821 – 1833. (1 box) Last updated 10/10.