Inventories W X Y Z

Stewart Bell Jr. Archives Room
Handley Regional Library
Winchester-Frederick County Historical Society

W & D Records, 408 WFCHS
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection consists of an account book kept by W & D of Frederick County, Virginia, between 1845 and 1847. 
(1 box) Last updated 02/03.

Wagon Maker’s Account Book, 397 WFCHS
see John W. Grove and George A. Grove Wagonmaker's Account Book 1821-1833
.

Wall, Asa  Papers, 1355 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT: 
This collection includes degrees awarded to Asa Wall from the University of Virginia, West Virginia State Board of Health, and the University of Pennsylvania.
(1 box) Last updated 11/10.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Asa Wall (1836-1906) was a surgeon for both the U. S. Army (prior to the Civil War) and the Confederate Army. Dr. Wall was a resident of Winchester, VA and a member of the Turner Ashby Camp, UCV. He is buried in Mount Hebron Cemetery.

Wallace, Lee A. Jr. Papers, 1351 WFCHS
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection contains the bibliography of Lee A. Wallace, Jr.’s book, Fifth Virginia Infantry, the introduction to the roster lists, and the roster list notes. Also included are the roster lists.
(2 boxes) Last updated 06/09.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Lee A. Wallace, Jr. received a B.A. from William and Mary College and an M.A. from the University of North Carolina. He spent several years in the military with the 30th Infantry Division, during World War II, and the VA National Guard. He wrote several books about the Civil War and the American Revolution including First Virginia Infantry, Fifth Virginia Infantry, and A Guide to Virginia Military Organizations, 1861-1865 for the Virginia Regimental Histories Series. He was a charter member of The Company of Military Historians. Wallace died 1997.

Warren County Virginia Collection, 1492 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection contains the property tax records for Warren County, VA from 1836-1862.  (2 boxes and last date updated 10/14)
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Warren County, VA was established in 1836 from Frederick County and Shenandoah County, VA. Its county seat is Front Royal, VA.

 

Washington, George Collection, 839 WFCHS/THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection contains articles and personal papers concerning George Washington and his association with the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, USA.
(2 boxes) Last updated 08/2016.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: George Washington was born in 1732 in Westmoreland County, VA. He was privately educated, mainly by his half brother Lawrence. In 1748, he came to Winchester, VA as a member of a survey party for Lord Fairfax. A year later he was authorized by the College of William and Mary to go into business as a surveyor. From 1749 to 1752, he was a surveyor for Lord Fairfax. In 1755, he was appointed Colonel of the Virginia Regiment. While in Winchester, Washington planned and began building Fort Loudoun, which was never completed. In 1758, he was elected to the House of Burgesses and remained in office until 1765. In 1774 and 1775, he served as delegate to the First and Second Continental Congresses, respectively. During the American Revolution, 1775-1783, Washington served as the Commander of the Continental Army. In 1789, he was elected the first President of the United States of America. Washington married Martha Dandridge in 1759. In 1797, Washington retired to Mount Vernon and then died on December 14, 1799.

Wayland, John Walter Papers, 26 WFCHS
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection contains correspondence, notes, and articles compiled and written by John Walter Wayland. Included are a number of abstracts of area county court records and four volumes on area graveyards.
(12 boxes) Last updated 01/2010.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Dr. John Walter Wayland was born on Dec. 8, 1872 to John Wesley and Anna Kagey Wayland in Shenandoah County, Virginia. From 1890 to 1893, he was a teacher in the public schools. He received a B.S. degree from Bridgewater College in Virginia and a Ph.D. in history from the University of Virginia in 1907. From 1899 to 1931, he taught at several institutions including the University of Virginia and Madison College in VA, now known as James Madison University. In 1931, Wayland retired to do more writing and research. During his life he wrote over 40 books and hundreds of articles concerning Virginia history. His major focus was the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. Wayland died in 1962.

Wayside Theatre Records, 1707 THL/WFCHS
SCOPE AND CONTENT: 
This collection contains flyers, brochures, news articles, playbills from the 1960s to 2013, and many other items associated with the Wayside Theatre in Middletown, VA. The collection also includes 14 scrapbooks covering activities at the theater from 1964-1978. There is an attached list of playbills, chronologically and alphabetically. As we discover more playbills belonging to the Wayside Theatre, we will file them within the collection and update the playbill list accordingly.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Wayside Theatre, which was originally known as the Maralarrick Players, was founded in 1962. A year later, the company was bought by Washington, D.C. financier Leo Bernstein who changed the name to Wayside Theatre. Many famous actors have performed on stage at the theater, including Susan Sarandon, Stacey Keach, Peter Boyle, and Kathy Bates.  The theater, after 52 years in business, closed on August 7, 2013.

Weekday Religious Education Collection, 1748 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection contains information regarding the Weekday Religious Education Program for Winchester and Frederick County public schools. The collection also includes information such as Board of Directors meeting and Annual meeting minutes, correspondence relating to the program, church and school affiliations, brochures, and various newspaper articles.
3 Boxes (Last Updated 04/16)
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: The Weekday Religious Education Program was formed to provide religious education for elementary school children as religious education is prohibited to be taught in public schools. The students invited include 4th and 5th graders who attend Winchester and Frederick County public schools. The students are taught non-denominational Christian religion in classes held after school. The Weekday Religious Education program is under the umbrella of the Virginia Weekday Religious Education Association.

Weissenberger, Sheila Collection1729 WFCHS
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection includes the checkbook stubs of Christian Louis Goller dating from 1929-1937. It also includes a photograph of Goller along with a family view report of the family. 
(1 box and last updated 11/15)
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Christian Louis Goller lived from 1888-1937. He was born in Berkley County, WVa and died in Martinsburg, WVa. Sheila Weissenberger is a family researcher who resides in the Winchester community.

Welltown United Methodist Church Collection314 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection contains church records, bulletins, and news clippings of the Welltown United Methodist Church of Frederick County, VA. It also includes a church history, and the deed for the purchase of the church grounds.
Last Updated 10/15
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: One of the oldest Methodist churches in Frederick County, it is believed that it was founded in 1866 on grounds donated to the church by its first pastor, Edward F. Hedrick. Originally named Bethany Church, it was later changed to its current name.

Whiting, Henry Collection, 184 WFCHS
SCOPE AND CONTENT: 
The Henry Whiting Collection contains articles, biographies, genealogies, a diary, military papers, and other miscellaneous materials concerning people and events of Virginia and Winchester history. It also contains genealogical information on the Whiting family, and Helen Whiting, Henry’s mother. She worked with the Winchester-Frederick County Historical Society during the 1940’s -1970s, and as a member of the Handley Regional Library Board during the 1960s.The collection also contains a great of data on the creation of the Abram’s Delight Museum and its furnishings.
(2 boxes) Last updated 05/09.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Henry Whiting was born on July 20, 1923 in Aurora, Colorado, the son of Lt. Col. Edgar Whiting and Helen Whiting. The family moved to Winchester following Lt. Col. Whiting’s retirement from the army. In World War II, Henry Whiting served under family friend General George S. Patton. He obtained a law degree from the University of Virginia. He rose steadily in the profession, eventually being named a Virginia Supreme Court Justice in 1987. He retired in 1995.

Whitt, Samuel Collection, 1196 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT: 
The collection contains Confederate money from Corporation of Winchester and Bank of the Valley in Virginia and promotional cards for businesses Heiston, Witt and Son, J.M. Orndoff, Shenandoah Valley National Bank, and J.W. Rosenberger. Wood family receipts from 1803 to 1830 and two 1858 sheriff notices to pay for Red Fox Scalps are included. Also included from Winchester, VA are a 1937 color picture news newsletter from Pete’s Service Center and four receipts from the early 1800s.
(1 box) Last updated 03/04.

Wilkins, James R. Collection, 629 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT: 
This collection contains ledgers and account books for the Miller Dry Goods Store of Winchester, VA, from 1799 to 1862. Also included is correspondence from Richard Tuck Wilkins, 20th Regiment Infantry, CSA, and from the University of Virginia where he attended and taught in the 1880s. The collection also contains the Gilmer Confederate Engineers’ Maps and genealogical information on the Tuck Family. (1 box) Last updated 02/2011.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: James R. Wilkins, Sr., descendant of the two Virginia families Luck and Wilkins, was the author of two books. Pioneers and Patriots is about the Wilkins family and the founding of Jamestown. The Impossible Task is a history of Shenandoah University, which Wilkins helped bring to Winchester, VA. Wilkins was a businessman in Winchester and active in civic affairs until his death in 1996.

Willey, Sydney R. Collection, 1640 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT: The collection contains the Gardner Family Tree, which dates from 1838-2009 as well as genealogical information on the Braithwaite (1630-1967), and Wiley (1781-1996) families. It was compiled by Sydney R. Willey, January 28, 2007.
(1 box) Last updated 01/2010.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Sydney R. Willey is a life-long resident of Winchester, VA

Williams, Philip Family Papers, 172 WFCHS
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection contains personal correspondence of Philip Williams written from 1817 to 1898. It also contains correspondence to John J. Williams, personal correspondence of Philip Williams III, and miscellaneous papers such as receipts, school papers, and brochures concerning the Williams family. Also included are materials concerning the Civil War units 114th Regiment, 18th Reg. Connecticut Volunteers, and Winchester Light Infantry. (4 boxes) Last updated 9/2010.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Philip Williams II was born on Sept. 15, 1802 in Woodstock, VA to Philip Williams I and Sarah Croudson. Williams left school when he was 15 and worked as a deputy clerk for his father who was Clerk of the County of Shenandoah. Later he studied law in Richmond and was admitted to the bar in 1823. Eventually, he became the Commonwealth’s Attorney for Shenandoah County, VA, and in 1831 became its representative in the Virginia House of Delegates. On February 9, 1826, Williams married Anne Mauzy Hite, daughter of Major Isaac Hite of Belle Grove, who died on March 21, 1833. They had two children. In 1834, Williams moved to Winchester, VA and married Mary Louise Lillis Dunbar, daughter of Dr. Robert Dunbar of Winchester. They had nine children. Williams successfully practiced law as a partner to David W. Barton and was the first president of the Shenandoah Valley Bank. He was a member of the Protestant Episcopal Church. Philip Williams II died from a stroke on April 2, 1868, in the middle of a trial. He is buried in Mt. Hebron Cemetery in Winchester, VA.

WINC Collection, 1616 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection is comprised of histories, scrapbooks, news clippings, miscellaneous materials, and editorials from the WINC-AM/FM radio station from 1941 to the present. The editorials cover 1982 to 1989 and deal with national and local events and issues. The histories, several of which were written by Phil Whitney, cover many of the stations and personalities associated with the company from its beginnings to the present.
(6 boxes) Last updated 11/15.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: On June 15, 1941, WINC radio began broadcasting under the ownership of Richard F. Lewis. The only station between Hagerstown, MD and Harrisonburg, VA, WINC is located on the eastern edge of Winchester, VA. In 1946, Lewis added a second facility, which became the first licensed FM station serving the Winchester, Frederick County area. It was located on top of a mountain outside of Winchester. The station’s call letters were originally WRFL; then it was changed to WAUS; and in 1982 became WINC. Phil Whitney started at WINC in 1941 as engineer, broadcaster, and manager, and was general manager from 1941 to 1979. Thirteen miles away, Whitney built the first remote control unit to run the station’s transmitter. WINC-FM still serves as a Winchester FM station.

Winchester Area Branch, NAACP, 1697 THL, see NAACP, Winchester Area Branch

Winchester City Records, 519 THL/WFCHS
Scope and Content: This collection contains records for the city of Winchester, VA including city codes and information pertaining to the various departments for the city (fire, finance, personnel, planning and zoning, police, public utilities, and public works). The collection also includes maps of the city, blueprints for Rouss City Hall, and tax and local books for the years 1870-1910. Most of the information is dated during the 1900s. The city of Winchester personnel office is the official repository for city council minutes.
(44 boxes) Last updated 03/17.
Biographical/Historical: Winchester was founded in 1744 and is the oldest city west of the Blue Ridge Mountains. In 1874, Winchester was chartered as an ‘independent city."

Winchester City School Records, 581 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT: 
This collection includes materials related to the Winchester, Virginia (USA) school system and individual schools within the city limits, covering 1871 to the present. The collection includes minutes of school board and committee meetings, reports, publicity and newsletters, and describe the history and growth of Winchester City Schools. The appendix to the collection inventory provides a list of schools and colleges, both public and private, which were established in Winchester over the course of the City’s history. 
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: The Winchester City school division began in 1919 when Winchester became a separate district from Frederick County, Virginia. The City hired Frederick E. Clerk as the first superintendent. As of 2017 the Winchester Public School system includes four elementary schools, one intermediate school, one middle school, and one high school.

Winchester-Clarke Garden Club Collection, 1454 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection contains minutes and other records of the Winchester-Clarke Garden Club (Winchester and Clarke County, VA), as well as the Garden Club of Virginia and the Garden Club of America (1950-present). Also included are tour booklets for Historic Garden Week in Virginia from 1948 to present, with some years missing. (3 boxes) Last updated 04/16.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: The club was formed in 1924 through the efforts of Miss Bessie Conrad. In 1928, the club was invited to join the Garden Club of America, and it participated in the first Historic Garden Week in Virginia.

Winchester Council of Garden Clubs Records, 637 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT:
 This collection contains one newspaper clipping from 1948 announcing a council flower show, minutes, and related papers from 1954 through the 1990s. Also included are scrapbooks of flower shows. (2 boxes) Last updated 06/12.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Four garden clubs in the Winchester, VA area were holding joint flower shows by 1948. By 1952, the groups were working together as the Federation of Garden Clubs on beautification projects including the gardens at Abram’s Delight.

Winchester, England Collection, 1224 THL/WFCHS
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection is comprised of news articles, speeches, souvenir guides, educational material, correspondence, and other miscellaneous materials concerning Winchester, England, sister city to Winchester, VA, USA. (2 boxes) Last updated 08/11
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Winchester, England is the sister city of Winchester, VA, USA. It lies southwest of London in the county of Hampshire. The town has existed since 450 B.C. During the Saxon rule, Winchester was the capital of England. William the Conqueror built a palace and castle here in 1066. It is the birthplace of the Domesday Book, the trial spot of Sir Walter Raleigh, and the death place of Jane Austen.

Winchester Fire Departments Collection, 698 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection contains new clipping, histories, souvenir booklets, and membership rolls of Winchester Fire Departments, 1897 to present.
(1box) Last date updated 08/2016.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: The two earliest fire companies in Winchester, Virginia were Friendship (organized in 1831), and Union (organized in 1833). Union was later renamed Rouse Fire Company after Charles Broadway Rouss donated $10,000 to the company. Two other fire companies were organized later. Sarah Zane Fire Company was organized in 1840, and South End Fire Company was founded in 1895.

Winchester-Frederick County Economic Development Commission Collection, 1251  THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection contains articles, reports, promotional literature and aerial photomaps of the Winchester-Frederick County (VA) area from 1988 to the present. The materials relate to the activities of the Winchester-Frederick County Economic Development Commission.
(1 box) Last updated 12/10.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL:The Winchester-Frederick County Economic Development Commission is an organization created in 1988 to help monitor and promote economic growth in Winchester and Frederick County, Virginia.

Winchester-Frederick County Legal Records, 1680 WFCHS
SCOPE AND CONTENT: 
This collection contains a variety of legal documents concerning Winchester-Frederick County, VA.
(2 boxes) Last updated 03/2010.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Frederick County was established in 1738 and Winchester, VA was established in 1752. Frederick County Court Records began in 1743.

Winchester-Frederick County Ministerial Association Records, 160 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT: The collection contains the minutes and the directories for the Winchester-Frederick County Ministerial Association from 1965-2005 as well as church bulletins, news clippings, and announcements. (3 Boxes), Last updated 01/09.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL:The Frederick County Ministerial Association was active from 1929 to about 1942. Winchester clergy had a separate association. In 1955, the associations reorganized to form the Winchester-Frederick County Ministerial Association. See also Winchester Ministerial Association Records, Collection #1290 WFCHS.

Winchester-Frederick County Veterans Council Collection, 1301 THL/WFCHS
SCOPE AND CONTENT: 
This collection is comprised of correspondence, brochures, articles, certificates, and other materials concerning the Winchester-Frederick County (Virginia) Veterans Council and their activities.
(1 box) Last updated 12/08.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: The Winchester-Frederick County Veterans Council is an organization that honors and remembers veterans in the Winchester-Frederick County area. It is composed of representatives from the American Legion, Conrad-Hoover Post #21; Disabled American Veterans—Stonewall Jackson #9, Veterans of Foreign Wars of the U.S., Posts 2123 and 9646.

Winchester High School Records, 670 WFCHS
SCOPE AND CONTENT: 
The collection includes diplomas, broadsides, commencement programs, and report card of Winchester High School, which was located in the John Kerr Public School building and operated from 1884 – 1919.
(1 box) Last updated 05/12.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Thanks to the generous provision in the will of Winchester resident John Kerr, Winchester, Virginia was able to begin providing free public education for its residents. The cornerstone for the new school building, at the southwest corner of Boscawen and Cameron Streets, was laid in 1883. Located in what became known as the John Kerr building in 1895, the Winchester High School began classes there a year after the cornerstone was laid. The school operated until 1919 when the high school was moved to John Handley High School. Captain John Crawford Van Fossen, a veteran of the 14th Virginia Cavalry, was the principal of the high school until his death in 1904. Van Fossen was the only educator in Winchester history to organize a public school and serve as its principal until his death.

Winchester Hiram Lodge No. 21 A.F. & A.M. Records, 1589 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT:  
This collection is comprised of the records of Winchester Lodge No. 12, A.Y.M. ("Antient York Masons") of 1768 to 1807 and Winchester Hiram Lodge No. 21 A.F. & A.M. of 1810 to 2000. These records contain charters, bylaws, account ledgers, reports, obituaries, and Masonic sponsored programs and events. Also included are ephemera and an historical sketch of the lodge.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Organized Freemasonry did not appear in Winchester until 1768 when a group of Masons residing in Frederick County applied to the Provincial Grand Lodge of Pennsylvania. On October 1, 1768, a charter or "warrant," was issued to form Winchester Lodge No. 12, A.Y.M. ("Antient York Masons"). In December 1777 the Winchester Masons ceased meeting because of a lack of attendance but began to meet again in 1785. The Masons established a permanent meetinghouse in 1810. In 1807, Lodge No. 12 surrendered their charter to the Pennsylvania Grand Lodge and received a new charter from the Virginia Grand Lodge to become Winchester Hiram Lodge No. 21 A.F. & A.M. This enabled the Winchester Lodge to participate in activities with other Virginia lodges. The Winchester Hiram Lodge No. 21 is still active in the community. 

Winchester Host Lions Records, 1669 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT: The collection contains the records of the Winchester Host Lions Club from its founding in 1924 to 2011. Included in the records are minutes, correspondence and membership information such as attendance, dues, monthly activities, and charitable work. Also in the collection is information about the Lions International, and the Winchester Lioness Club.
(18 boxes) Last updated 03/15.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: The Winchester Host Lions Club was founded in 1924, and continues to operate today. It has been involved in a variety of charitable activities, including work with seeing-eye dogs and medical research for deafness. The organization is also heavily involved in local activities such as the annual Apple Blossom Festival, and high school sporting events

Winchester Knitting Mills Records, (Name Changed to Locksley Corporation-July 5, 1963), 1469 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT: 
This collection of the Winchester Knitting Mills Records, Winchester, VA, includes the charter, by-laws, minutes, stock certificates, and reports of examination prepared by Yount, Hyde & Company, giving financial information from 1963 through 1970.
(1 box) Last updated 07/04.

Winchester Little Theater Collection, 2 WFCHS/THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT: 
This collection contains playbills, newsletters, news clippings and 1900s scrapbook. (2 boxes) Last updated 04/14.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Founded in 1929, Winchester Little Theatre is an all-volunteer organization, and has been at the forefront of providing entertainment for the Winchester-Frederick County area. The theater began as the Winchester Theatre Guild. The first production presented three one-act plays, which opened on April 8, 1930, to an audience of over 400 in the Handley High School auditorium. The Winchester Community Theatre was its name, and it performed in many places including Handley and James Wood High Schools, the First Baptist Church on Piccadilly St., the George Washington Hotel, the Elks and Moose lodges, and outdoors at Abrams Delight. The theater group sometimes performed in unusual places, like storefronts, warehouses, and even a swimming pool building. The theater took a break during World War II, but started up again in 1946 with a benefit performance.
    In 1957, the theater became the Bark Mill Players. They performed at Wolfe and Braddock streets on the second floor of a building, which had previously been a mill that produced a bark product used in tanning leather. Irvan O’Connell, who was long active in the theater, owned the building and helped build the theater, which had a small stage in the round and seated 96. The building eventually became a hazard in 1973, and the company was forced to move. In 1974, the theater began its new 1974 season as the Winchester Little Theatre in the former train station at 315 W. Boscawen Street. Built in the 1890s as a freight station for Pennsylvania Railroad Co., the building was acquired by the theater with a sealed bid of $57,000. A considerable amount of cleanup and renovation was conducted with volunteer labor at negligible cost to create the theater with 97 seats on three sides of a stage, a lobby, and necessary lighting and backstage rooms.
    Today, the Winchester Little Theatre performs four or five plays a year, each of which runs for two or three long weekends. Each year members of the Winchester Little Theatre vote for the play of the year. The award is known as "The Barkie" in honor of the old Bark Mill. For more information, go to their web site .

Winchester Medical Center Records, 1626 THL/WFCHS
SCOPE AND CONTENT:
The collection contains reports, programs, articles, oral histories, hospital magazines and newsletters, and other materials concerning the Winchester area hospital, which opened in March 1903. Also included in the collection are historical nursing school materials, news articles and staff directories.
(3 boxes) Last updated 01/16.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Winchester Medical Center began as Winchester Memorial Hospital on the corner of Clifford and Stewart streets in Winchester, Virginia. It opened on March 17, 1903. When the hospital first opened, it had 12 private rooms and a ward with 24 beds. Over the years, buildings and services expanded. The Winchester Memorial Hospital Training School for Nurses was a separate operation. The school began when the hospital began in 1903. The Class of 1905 was the first class, and it contained one person, Mary Milliner. The nursing school operated for sixty years and closed in 1964. The Class of 1964 was the last class.
The new facility, an $80 million hospital complex, opened in December 1989. It is located at 1840 Amherst Street, west of Winchester. Valley Health is the parent company that owns the facility. The 411-bed hospital continues to grow as new units and services are added.

Winchester Medical College Collection, 190 THL/WFCHS
SCOPE AND CONTENT: The Winchester Medical College Collection includes catalogs, announcements, histories, and news articles pertaining to the college and its founder, Dr. William P. McGuire. The Winchester, Virginia college was chartered in 1826 as the "Medical College of the valley of Virginia". It was begun by Dr. John Esten Cooke, Dr. Hugh Holmes McGuire, and Dr. A. F. Magill. The college operated for two years and closed until 1847, when it was revived and newly chartered by the commonwealth as the Winchester Medical College. (1 box) Last updated 12/02.

Winchester Ministerial Association Records, 1290 WFCHS
SCOPE AND CONTENT: 
This collection contains correspondence, financial statements, and minute books concerning the Winchester Ministerial Association.
(1 box) Last updated 03/04.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: The Frederick County Ministerial Association, active from 1929 to about 1942, merged in 1955 with the Winchester Ministerial Association.

Winchester & Potomac Railroad Records, 1473 WFCHS
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection contains annual reports, stock information, and papers concerning Winchester and Potomac Railroad of Winchester, VA. Also included is a lawsuit between Winchester & Potomac Railroad and the Orange, Alexandria, & Manassas Railroad.
(1 box) Last updated 02/2016.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: The Winchester and Potomac Railroad (W & P) was the first railroad in Winchester, VA. It was chartered by the Virginia General Assembly in 1831 and ran from Harper’s Ferry to Winchester. The original train stopped at the corner of Water and Market Streets. In March 1862, the United States Army seized the railroad. In 1866, when the Winchester and Potomac was returned to the owners, they decided to lease the right-of-way to the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad (B & O). In 1902, through a third party, the W & P was acquired by the B & O.

Winchester Regional Airport Collection, 1442 WFCHS
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection is comprised of environmental assessment reports and an article about the history of Winchester airports.
(3 boxes) Last updated 05/15.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Winchester’s first airport was Bowles Field, which was established in 1907. It consisted of a “moved” field, small hanger, and a farmhouse. The exact location of this field is unknown. It is believed that Bowles Field was absorbed by Admiral Byrd Field, which opened January 21, 1931. The Byrd Field is considered to be Winchester’s first established airport and was located south and adjacent to U.S. Rt. 50 near the intersection of U.S. Rt. 522. The airport was reorganized and expanded and became Winchester Municipal Airport on December 2, 1937. A larger tract of land had been leased to accommodate larger aircraft and was officially recognized as a licensed commercial airport by the Commonwealth of Virginia.

Winchester Rotary Club Collection, 113 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT: 
This collection contains correspondence, newsletters, histories, membership rosters (1944-1997), minutes, and other papers of the club.
(10 boxes) Last updated 09/08.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: The Rotary Club was started by Paul Harris on February 23, 1905, as a philanthropic organization. The Winchester Rotary Club was organized in 1921 by Fred E. Clerk who served as the first president. The club is comprised of professionals on the management or supervisory level and has admitted women since 1988.

Winchester Virginia Bicentennial Commission Collection, 767 WFCHS
SCOPE AND CONTENT: 
This collection contains materials pertaining to the 1752-1952 bicentennial celebration of Winchester, VA in 1952. Included are programs, brochures, names of participants, and names of people who had been residents of the Winchester area for 50 to 70 years.
(1 box) Last updated 11/06.

Wine , J. Floyd Collection, 457 THL/WFCHS
SCOPE AND CONTENT: 
This collection contained the essays of J. Floyd Wine which cover a wide variety of subjects on the history of the Shenandoah Valley.
(1 box) Last updated 09/16.

BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: J. Floyd Wine is a long-time resident of Winchester, VA, a former volunteer at the Stewart Bell Jr. Archives, Handley Regional Library, and Director Emeritus of the Winchester-Frederick County Historical Society.

Wolfe, Judith L. Collection, 1520 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT:
This collection contains a loose-leaf notebook entitled, "Descendants of Joseph and Mary Rust Miller of Buffalo Marsh." The 72 pages contain genealogical material of this family of Frederick County, VA.
(1 box) Last updated 09/04.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Joseph and Mary Rust Miller lived in "Buffalo Marsh," Opequon District, Middletown, Frederick County, VA. He was born in 1763 and died in 1853. Joseph and Mary married in December of 1800 and were the parents of nine children.

Wolfe, Mary Milller Collection, 1661 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT: 
This collection contains a variety of materials compiled by Mary Miller Wolfe and covering a period from the mid-1800s to the mid-1900s. The materials mostly concern the Miller and Henkel families and include photographs and drawings, news clippings, certificates of marriage and naturalization, as well as a stock share and business correspondence for Abraham Miller. (1 box) Last updated 03/17.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL
Mary Miller Wolfe was born January 28, 1926 in Winchester, the daughter of the Joseph P. and Mary Edith Hicks Miller, and died June 10, 2004. She is buried in Mount Hebron Cemetery.

Women’s Christian Temperance Union Collection, 754 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT: 
This collection includes pamphlets and articles written about alcohol, alcoholism, and the use of alcohol related to Christianity and the Bible. Also included are the history of Winchester, VA’s Women’s Christian Temperance Union (WCTU), the Frederick County, VA Temperance Convention in 1834, and various news articles.
(1 box) Last updated 07/07.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: The Winchester chapter of the Women’s Christian Temperance Union (WCTU) was organized in October of 1884 in response to a call for total abstinence by Miss Jennie Smith at a Market Street Methodist Church revival. Miss Smith was known to everyone as the Railroad Evangelist. The union began with about 100 members and about the same number of honorary male members. By 1958, membership had grown to 152, but only 12 honorary male members. The work of the WCTU was mostly educational. By 1958, seven working departments were active in the local union: temperance and missions, Christian citizenship, literature, publicity, flower mission and relief, evangelism, and international relations for peace. The Winchester union held the state convention for the organization in 185l, 1892, and 1909.

Women’s Civic League Collection, 241 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT: 
This collection contains minutes (1936-present), booklets (1988-present), record books (1946-1948), and scrapbooks (1946-1974) concerning the Women’s Civic League of Winchester, VA.
(6 boxes) Last updated 12/16.

BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: The Women’s Civic League of Winchester, VA, was organized in 1915 by Mrs. Robert Y. Conrad. The group performed civic and charitable activities in the community. After 101 years serving the community, the Women’s Civic League voted to disband on June 3, 2016. 

Wood, James Collection, 711 THL,
SCOPE AND CONTENT:
 The James Wood Collection is contained in three Hollinger-type boxes and one flat storage box (3 linear feet shelf space), with the contents of each box further divided into folders labeled by content. Item-level inventory prepared by Donn Neal, 2004.  The collection is mainly the handwritten correspondence (business and personal); accounts and account books; surveys and plats; and other business, legal, and personal materials of Col. James Wood, Sr., and other members of the Wood family. Portions of the collection include Frederick County records (e.g., fee lists) and other information not directly related to the Wood family. The time period covered by the collection extends from the 1730s to the late 1800s.
    This collection would be of interest to historians of the Frederick County and Winchester area, students of business history, and researchers interested in the Wood family itself.
     In many respects the James Wood Collection mirrors and complements the information found in The James Wood Family Papers, THL 173; indeed, similar information is found in both collections and researchers should review both collections.
(4 boxes) Last updated 07/06.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: ames Wood, Sr. (1707?-1759) was born, according to a grandson, in Winchester, Hampshire, England. He attended Oxford University, was a lieutenant in the Royal Navy, and came to Virginia with one of the colonial governors. Around 1735, he acquired a tract of land "on the branches of the Opequon" from which, in 1744, a large part of Winchester was formed in accordance with his stipulations to the Justices of Frederick County. Wood was elected the first Clerk of the Frederick County Magistrate and Court and served in that position until his death. He was also a Colonel in the Frederick County militia and served with his friend Col. George Washington in the 1754 campaign against the French. In 1758, he was proxy for Washington in the latter’s candidacy for Burgess from Frederick County and wielded considerable political influence.
     James Wood, Sr., built the first "Glen Burnie" in 1738. He married Mary Rutherford (died 1798) in 1738 with whom he had children Elizabeth (b. 1739), James, Jr. (b. 1741), Mary (b. 1742), John (b. 1743-44), and Robert (b. 1747). He is buried in the family graveyard at Glen Burnie.
     James Wood, Jr. (1741-1813) was deputy surveyor of Frederick County and represented the county in the Virginia House of Burgesses from 1766 to 1776 and in the Virginia Constitutional Convention in 1776. He served as governor of the Commonwealth of Virginia from 1796 to 1799. Wood negotiated the Treaty of Fort Pitt with the Shawnee Indians in 1775, making possible the successful expedition of General George Rogers Clark. He fought in the Revolutionary War as a colonel, commanding the Virginia Regiment at the Battle of Brandywine; later, he was a Brigadier-General of Virginia troops. James Wood, Jr., married Jean Moncure in 1775; they had no children.
     Robert Wood (1747-1801) married Comfort Welsh (1751-1840), with whom he had numerous children. Nine of the children are represented in this collection: Julia, Comfort (Wood) Dailey, Robert W. (1776-1855), Mary Dorcas (Wood) Washington, Catherine (Wood) Glass, Harriot, Sarah Ann, William (1786-1872), and James.

Wood, James Family Papers, 173 WFCHS
SCOPE AND CONTENT: 
This collection contains the business papers of Col. James Wood Sr. and some of his family. The papers are accounts, diaries, receipts and various memorabilia of the family for the period from 1736 to1868. Included are papers of the Frederick County, Virginia Clerk’s office for the period from 1743 to 1769. This is an item-level inventory prepared by Wilmer Kerns. (5 boxes) Last updated 03/07.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL:  Col. James Wood Sr. (1707?-1759) was born, according to a grandson, in Winchester, Hampshire, England. He attended Oxford University, was a lieutenant in the Royal Navy, and came to Virginia with one of the colonial governors. Around 1735, he acquired a tract of land "on the branches of the Opequon" from which, in 1744, a large part of Winchester was formed in accordance with his stipulations to the Justices of Frederick County. He built the first "Glen Burnie" in 1738. He married Mary Rutherford in 1738 with whom he had children (1) Elizabeth (b. 1739), (2) James Jr. (b. 1741), (3) Mary (b. 1742), (4) John (b. 1743-44), and (5) Robert (b. 1747). He was a Colonel in the Frederick County militia and served with his friend Col. George Washington in the 1754 campaign against the French. He is buried in the family graveyard at Glen Burnie.
Note: This collection is available on microfilm (Boxes 1-3 on reel M-1972.1; Box 4 on Reel M-1972.1A) in the microfilm file cabinet. Microfilm may be photocopied; originals may not. Records on microfilm may be in different order from this inventory of documents. All items in this collection are manuscript unless otherwise noted. Microfilm is not available on interlibrary loan.

Wood – Woods Family Collection, 632 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection is comprised of various Virginia county records, excerpts from several books concerning the Wood(s) family.  It also includes several issues of different genealogical magazines published by the Tennessee Valley Genealogical Society, Wood(s) family oriented magazines, genealogies and histories of various states and families, and other miscellaneous Wood(s) family materials. (8 boxes) Last updated 04/16.

Woods, Neill Collection, 280 THL
This collection contains drawings created by cartoonist Neill Woods for the Winchester Evening Star during the 1930s. Before Woods moved to Winchester, VA in 1911, he drew for the Baltimore World. (1 box) Last updated 01/03.

World War One Collection, 1115 WFCHS/THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection contains accounts, sketches, booklets, rosters, maps, and other materials concerning local people and events of World War I.
(4 boxes) Last updated 01/16.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: World War I, 1914-1918, was an international conflict that included most of the nations, Europe, Russia, U.S., and the Middle East. The war put the Central Powers (Germany, Austria-Hungary, and Turkey) against the Allies (France, Great Britain, Russia, Italy, Japan, and the U.S.). It ended with the defeat of the Central Powers.

World War II Collection, 1050 WFCHS/THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection contains military records, Virginia War Fund records, articles, scrapbooks, and other material concerning World War II. The primary focus is on soldiers of the Winchester-Frederick County, VA community. (13 boxes) Last updated 06/16.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: World War II was a conflict, 1939-45, between the Axis Powers (Germany, Italy and Japan) and the Allies (France, Great Britain and Russia). With 40 to 50 million deaths, World War II was the bloodiest conflict and the largest war, in history. The war ended with the defeat of the Axis Powers.

WPA Records, 303 WFCHS/THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection contains a series of reports on historical subjects of the Winchester-Frederick County area as prepared by the Works Progress Administration of Virginia in the years 1936-37. The reports cover subjects such as deeds, churches, homes, cemeteries, wills, etc. An index is included with the records.
(3 boxes) Last updated 08/11.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: The WPA (Work Progress Administration) was founded in 1932 and became one of the largest of the "New Deal" programs begun by President Franklin D. Roosevelt. The administration created jobs all over the United States in areas such as the arts, public building restoration and construction, roads, and historical records. In Winchester, VA, the WPA employees created reports on various historic sites and subjects between 1936-1937.

Wright, Daniel Collection, 1646 # THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT:
The collection contains a variety of items pertaining to the life and work of Winchester native Colonel Daniel Wright, including news clippings, correspondence, memorabilia, articles concerning his travels and work in Panama, Greece, and elsewhere around the world. (1 box) Last updated 01/09.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Colonel Daniel Wright was born in 1883 in Winchester, VA. After receiving a degree in engineering from Virginia Tech University in 1904, Wright was employed by the Isthmian Canal Corporation where he worked on the construction of the Panama Canal. Awarded the Theodore Roosevelt Medal of Honor for his work fighting yellow fever and malaria in the Canal Zone, Wright served as a consultant to the Panamanian and Columbian governments between1921-1929. Joining the staff of the Rockefeller Foundation in 1929 he worked on developing a safer water supply in Greece, and Turkey until the outbreak of World War II. Wright also worked with the United Nations Public Health Service and the United Nations Relief and Rehabilitation Administration from 1944 to 1949. He retired in Winchester, and died in 1963.

Yocum, Thomas Collection, 1108 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT: 
This collection contains genealogical information on the Judy, Street, Myers, and Yocum families.
(1 box) Last updated 1/04.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Thomas Yocum is the donor of this collection and a West Virginia resident.

Zane, Isaac Collection, 642 THL/WFCHS
SCOPE AND CONTENT: 
This collection contains copies of correspondence, including a microfilm (1761-1806) and other information relating to Isaac Zane, his iron works at Marlboro and his service as a justice of Frederick County, VA in 1772 and in the Virginia House of Burgesses in 1775. Copies of maps and estate settlement papers are also part of the collection.
(1 box) Last updated 11/04
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Born into a devout Quaker family in Philadelphia in 1743, Isaac Zane came to Frederick County about 1756. He established the Marlboro Iron Works that produced stoves, pots, and bar iron, which were shipped to Bristol, London, Glasgow, and Boston from the ports of Alexandria and Falmouth. The iron works was turned into a munitions factory during the Revolutionary War. Because of nonpayment, Zane remained in debt for the rest of his life, although his substantial holdings and personal property occupy 81 pages in the Frederick County Superior Court Will Book #1, pp. 224-305. He was active in VA and colonial political affairs serving in the House of Burgesses in 1775 and Revolutionary Conventions of 1774 and 1776, and VA House of Delegates (1778-1781).