Welltown United Methodist Church Collection 314 THL

SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection contains church records, bulletins, and news clippings of the Welltown United Methodist Church of Frederick County, VA. It also includes a church history, and the deed for the purchase of the church grounds.
Last Updated 10/15

BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: One of the oldest Methodist churches in Frederick County, it is believed that it was founded in 1866 on grounds donated to the church by its first pastor, Edward F. Hedrick. Originally named Bethany Church, it was later changed to its current name.  

BIBLIOGRAPY: Taken from the collection. 

CITE AS: Welltown United Methodist Church Collection 314 THL, Stewart Bell Jr. Archives, Handley Regional Library, Winchester, VA 

BOX 1 

Church Bulletins – 2000-2008, unnumbered leaves, printed 

Church History, no author, no date, 6 leaves, typescript; 2 leaves photographs (photocopy) 

Church Records – 1902-1906, 82 leaves, manuscript (photocopy) 

Deed for church property, January 1, 1875, 2 leaves, typescript 

Membership List, 1992, 3 leaves, typescript 

New Clippings 

Parsonage – Contract to purchase 104 Yale Dr., Winchester, VA – Oct. 24, 2000,

5 leaves, printed with handwritten information added 

Pastor’s Supplemental Report, November 29, 1973, W.E. Richards, 1 leaf, typescript 

Poem “Welltown” by Beatrice Fincham, April, 1984, 1 leaf, manuscript (photocopy) 

State of the Church, Nov. 14, 2002, submitted by Mary J. Lock, 5 leaves, typescript