Inventories T U V

Stewart Bell Jr. Archives Room
Handley Regional Library / Winchester-Frederick County Historical Society

Tabb, George E. Jr. Collection, 1153 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection consists of letter books (1863) kept by Col. William Banksdale Tabb, Commander, 59th VA Inf. Reg., CSA and "The Complete Journal of Emily (Emma) Miller Tabb," July 15, 1899 to April 9, 1900. The letter books were transcribed and indexed. The journal were transcribed and edited by George E. Tabb, Jr.
(1 box) Last updated 2/04.

Tailor’s Account Book, 396 WFCHS
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection contains an account book kept by an unidentified tailor of Winchester, Virginia. (1 box) Last updated 02/03.

Taylor Hotel Collection, 1145 THL,
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection contains reports and news articles from 1859 to the present concerning the historic Taylor Hotel in Winchester, Virginia. Articles will cover the many uses of this building and its renovation.
(1 box) Last updated 10/15.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Located at 129 North Loudoun Street, the first hotel located at the site was opened by Edward McGuire in 1755. After McGuire’s death, the property was sold to Bushrod Taylor who constructed the Taylor Hotel, which opened its doors for business around 1836 and closed in 1911 when it was sold to the J. G. McCrory Company. They operated a dime store, and a movie theater there until 1995. Since then variety of businesses, none of which lasted long, have operated on the site. After sitting vacant for several years, the building’s roof collapsed in 2007. Several organizations have united with plans for the building’s renovation, but funding has been slow. In its hay-day during the mid-19th Century, the Taylor Hotel was considered the finest hotel in the area, and among its guests were Andrew Jackson, Henry Clay, Stephen A. Douglas, Stonewall Jackson, and several Union generals.

Teen Age Club (TAC) Collection, 1675 THL
Scope and Content:
The collection contains the scrapbook of the TAC (Teen Age Club) of Winchester, Frederick County, Virginia. The scrapbook has a variety of pictures, newspaper articles, letters, and memorabilia from the club dating from the late 1950s to the late 1960s.
(1 box) Last updated 08/09.
Biographical/Historical: The Teen Age Club was founded in 1958 in conjunction with the newly completed War Memorial Building at Jim Barnett Park. The club offered a variety of social activities for Winchester and Frederick County teenagers. It was know as the TAC Club.

Thorne, Charles Collection, 1537 WFCHS
Scope and Content:
This collection is comprised of two books designed and written by graphics artist Charles R. Thorne of Winchester, VA.
(1 box) Last updated 09/04.
Biographical/Historical: Charles Thorne is a resident of Winchester, VA.

Thrasher, Joel Collection, 1579 THL,
Scope and Content:
This collection contains genealogical material pertaining to the Thrasher, Kerby, and Lines families. The material covers from 1710 to 1957 and was compiled by Joel Thrasher, c. 2000. The material was printed from a Family Tree Maker file.
(1 box) Last updated 09/04.
Biographical/Historical: Richard Thrasher was born about 1710 in Sussex, England, and died in 1768 in Frederick County, VA.

Tire Fire Collection, 1362 THL
Scope and Content:
This collection contains copies of the numerous reports, test results, recommendations, and actions taken to contain and modify the pollution engendered by the Rhinehart Tire Fire. The collection contains administrative record files, endangerment assessment, remedial investigation report, community relations plan, and news clippings.
(2 boxes) Last updated 11/05.
Biographical/Historical: On October 31, 1983, a fire began in a dump owned by Mr. Paul Rhinehart in Winchester, VA. The dump contained 5 million or more tires and the resultant smoke and tire combustion caused considerable air pollution and threatened a major pollution of nearby streams, which ultimately fed into the Potomac River, the Washington, D.C. water supply. It took several years for the Environmental Protection Agency to satisfactorily resolve the problem by containing the fire run-off and neutralizing the toxicity.

Tischler, Allan Collection, 208 WFCHS/THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection contains extensive information about the American Civil War in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. Diaries, maps, corps information of both of the CSA and the USA, African Americans in the war, photographs and microfilm are included. Many of the records are categorized by state and military leader. Included are news articles about the war in general, the Valley Campaign of 1864, and certain battles. Drafts of Mr. Tischler’s book, The History of the Harper’s Ferry Expedition…, are part of this collection.
(13 boxes) Last updated 09/16.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Allan L. Tischler is a resident of Winchester, VA, and active in American Civil War research. Author of The History of the Harpers Ferry Expedition--September 14-15, 1862, published in 1993, he continues writing on Civil War battles and events in the Valley.

Triplett, Ralph Collection, 297 WFCHS
Scope and Content:
This collection contains an article by Ralph Triplett about Bee Tree Cuts, a book on Hampshire County, WV cemeteries, and a book on the Back Creek Valley of Frederick County, VA.
(1 box) Last updated 03/11
Biographical/Historical: Ralph Triplett (1898-1844) was a long-time resident of Frederick County, VA, and the author of several books on genealogy, including Cemeteries of Hampshire County, W. Va., Early Births, Western Frederick County, Virginia, Eastern Hampshire County, West Virginia (with Grace Kelso), Early Marriages, Western Frederick County, Virginia, Eastern Hampshire County, West Virginia (with Grace Kelso), Frederick County Historical Series: A History of Upper Back Creek Valley, and Frederick County Virginia Obituaries. All of these books are available in the Stewart Bell, Jr. Archives, Handley Regional Library. Triplett died in Gore, VA on May 24, 1984 and is buried Bethel Cemetery in Gore.

Top of Virginia Regional Chamber Records, 516 WFCHS/THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection contains information relating to the Top of Virginia Regional Chamber, including promotional literature, annual reports, calendars, membership rosters, business information, and the Chamber’s history. The chamber also prints a newsletter and many of the issues are in the collection. The Top of Virginia Regional Chamber includes Winchester, Frederick County, and Clarke County, Virginia.
(6 boxes) Last updated 11/15.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: The Winchester-Frederick County Chamber of Commerce was founded in 1917 to promote businesses and prosperity in Winchester and Frederick County, VA. In 2007, the chamber added Clarke County, VA and changed its name to the Top of Virginia Regional Chamber. For nearly 100 years, the chamber has worked with city and county governments, local businesses, schools, and health and safety facilities to promote Winchester, Frederick County (and Clarke County since 2007), VA to the United States and around the world.

Trout, Issac and Jacob Papers, 1212 THL
Scope and Content:
This collection contains business and personal correspondence (1825-1869), ledgers (1821-1872), demand notes (1831-1860), and an indenture (1823) concerning the Trout Family of Front Royal, VA. Also included is a paper entitled, "Issac and Jacob Trout Papers" (1992) by Connie Conte and other miscellaneous papers.
(1 box) Last updated 03/04.
Biographical/Historical: Issac (b. 1790) and Jacob (b. 1792) were two of nine children born to Philip Trout, a wheelwright in Front Royal, VA. When Philip Trout died in 1812, Issac and Jacob ran the factory on Chester Street. In 1830, Issac married Araminta Pagett and had six children, four of whom died in infancy. The brothers had a successful wagon building business, which received orders from as far away as Florida. Issac died in 1873 at the age of 83 and Jacob died in 1853 at

Trussel, Elizabeth Lucas Sheetz Little Collection, 1001 THL
Scope and Content:
This collection includes application forms for the United Daughters of the Confederacy and the Daughters of the American Revolution, as well as genealogical information on the Osbourne, Mackenzie/McKinny, Rush, Lucas, and Koontz/Coontz/Cooch families.
(1 box) Last updated 01/13.
Biographical/Historical: Elizabeth S. Lucas Sheetz Little Trussell was born September 1, 1911 at Elmwood Farm in Shepherdstown, WV, and was daughter of Rion and Cora Osbourn Lucas. She taught in Frederick County, and then worked as a clerk for the Frederick County School Board for 40 years, retiring in 1974. She was married to Harold C. Sheetz Jr. (d. 1974), Henry M. Little (d. 1984), and Robert L. Trussell (d. 1989). She died on June 6, 2010 at the age of 98.

Tucker, Henry St. George Family Collection, 1477 THL/WFCHS
Scope and Content:
This collection contains copies of speeches given, articles written by and about Henry St. George Tucker III and John Randolph Tucker, two prominent members of Virginia and Maryland governments. (1 box) Last updated 05/14.
Biographical/Historical: Henry St. George Tucker III was born in Winchester, VA on April 5, 1853 to John Randolph Tucker and Laura Holmes Powell. He attended school in Richmond and Middleburg, VA. He graduated from Washington & Lee Law School in 1876 and started his law practice in Staunton, VA. In 1889, he was elected to the U.S. House of Representatives (1889-1897). From 1897-1902, he was a professor of constitutional law at Washington & Lee and then became dean of the law school at Columbia University, now George Washington University. Tucker returned as a Member of the House of Representatives and remained there until his death on July 23, 1932. He is buried in the Presbyterian Church Cemetery in Lexington, VA. Tucker married Henrietta Preston Johnston on Oct. 25, 1877 and had seven children.
Henry St George Tucker I (1780-1848)
3rd Son: John Randolph Tucker (1823-1897) – son: George St. George Tucker III
5th Son: Henry St. George Tucker II (1828-1863) (1853-1932)

Tucker, J. R. and Conrad, R. Y. Law Firm, 401 WFCHS  See Conrad and Tucker Law Firm.

Turner Ashby Camp #22 of Confederate Veterans Papers, 302 WFCHS
Scope and Content: This collection contains the records of the Turner Ashby Camp #22 of Confederate Veterans of Winchester, VA. The records cover every facet of the group’s operations including membership rolls at the local and national levels; correspondence; orders; reports; list of companies from Frederick County, VA; minutes; rosters; membership applications; Roll of the Dead (1893-1902); and other miscellaneous papers.
The papers also include extensive primary source material from the court-martial of Pvt. James Miller, 12th Virginia Cavalry who was executed for shooting his company commander, Captain Henderson in 1861. (16 boxes) Last updated 08/11. Digitized April 16, 2007.

Turner Ashby Camp Guard Records, 1604 WFCHS
Scope and Content:
This collection contains three applications to the Turner Ashby Camp Guard, an attendance roll from 1899, Treasurer’s Report for Nov. 1895 to May 1896, and a committee on uniform report from April 20, 1896.
(1 box) Last updated 05/06.
Biographical/Historical: The Turner Ashby Camp Guard was an organization for the Sons of Confederate veterans. It did not last long.

Turner Ashby Society Collection, 1542 THL
Scope and Content:
The Turner Ashby Society Collection contains the society’s newsletters published in Richmond, VV. The Tom Telegraph covers the years 1996-2003.
(1 box) Last updated 09/04.
Biographical/Historical: The Turner Ashby Society was incorporated in the fall of 1996 to study the life of Turner Ashby. The organization dissolved on December 31, 2003.

Turner, Ellsworth Collection, 204 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection contains material relating to local black history including articles, news clippings and photos.  Most of the information pertains to the 20th Century; however, some dates back to the Civil War. The material is divided in half with the first part being biographical sketches of 34 people and the second half, information on organizations, schools, churches, and other establishments of the local black community.   
(3 boxes)  Last updated 7/16.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Ellsworth Turner was a Winchester, Virginia resident, who compiled the information for this collection.

2020 Vision Project Records, 1235 THL
Scope and Content:
This collection contains reports from the various committees, which made up the 2020 Vision Project of Winchester and Frederick County, VA. Among these reports is the final report of the project.
(1 box) Last updated 10/08.
Biographical/Historical: In 1989, the Winchester City and the Frederick County Board of Supervisors appointed over 150 citizens to help with the 2020 Vision Project. The goal of this project was to make recommendations to allow the community to grow and maintain its high quality of life. Fifteen different economic and social areas were studied over a 2-year period.

Tylor, Dola S. Collection, 63 WFCHS (1781-1931)
Scope and Content: This collection contains indexes and associated lists of births, deaths, and wills recorded from the original Winchester City court records. Also included are genealogical materials on Frederick County families, muster rolls and questionnaires of Civil War regiments, and other miscellaneous materials including marriages from the "Journal of Dr. Alexander Balmain."
(3 boxes) Last updated 04/07.
Biographical/Historical: Dola S. Tylor was born in the Swiss Colony of Gruetli, TN in 1915. She graduated from the University of Tennessee with a degree in Accounting. In 1977, she retired from the U.S. Army Communications Command-Japan and moved to Virginia when her husband transferred to the Middle East Division, Corps of Engineers in Winchester, VA. She has been a volunteer in the Handley Regional Library (now Stewart Bell Jr.) Archives since 1979.

Tyson, Richard Family Bible, 1078 THL
Scope and Content:
This collection is comprised of the Richard Tyson Family Bible, which includes marriages, births and deaths of the Tyson family from 1860 to 1920.
(1 box) Last updated 1/04.
Biographical/Historical: Richard L. Tyson was born to Sherrod and Elizabeth Tyson on March 22, 1835. Tyson married Margaret L. [Turngge] on January 12, 1860, and had at least two children.

Union Mills Collection, 1408 THL
Scope and Content: This collection consists of a receipt book, 1812-1818, belonging to Nathan Parkins, owner of Union Mills in Frederick County, VA.
(1 box) Last updated 06/04.
Biographical/Historical: From 1836 to 1874, the Parkins family operated multiple flour mills on Abram’s Creek. In 1812 they were running three mills south of Winchester under the name "The Union Mills, Nathan Parkins & Co. Owners."

United Daughters of the Confederacy, Turner Ashby Camp #54 Collection, 1325 WFCHS
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection contains records of the United Daughters of the Confederacy (U.D.C.), Turner Ashby Chapter #184, Winchester, VA. It includes copies of applications for membership in the local U.D.C. These applications contain sources for researchers of the Civil War and genealogy. Minute books from 1891-1904, 1909-1920, 1926-1962, 1965-1974, 1987-1989, 1993-1996 are in the collection. Various articles and news clippings covering Confederate veterans’ events in Virginia and other southern states are also included.
(11 boxes) Last updated 11/15. DIGITIZED 04/07.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Turner Ashby Chapter #184, UDC is one of the nine chapters of the Virginia Division, which were chartered on November 11, 1897. Prior to that, a group known as "Ladies’ Stonewall Memorial Association" was formed in 1865. Their purpose was to prepare a suitable burial place for all Confederate soldiers who have been buried in scattered locations in the Winchester area. The forerunner of the Turner Ashby Chapter was first organized in 1894 under the leadership of Miss Kate Conrad as an auxiliary to Turner Ashby Camp, Confederate veterans. At this time, members began to assist with the annual June 6th Confederate Memorial Day ceremony.
The Turner Ashby Chapter was originally referred to as Chapter #54, Virginia Division. In 1997, the designation #184 was put into use.

United Odd Fellows Lodge #1461 Records, 554 THL
Scope and Content:
This collection contains three deeds concerning the acquisition of land in 1890, the lien on the property in 1891, and the sale of the property in 1914, belonging to the Grand United Order of Odd Fellows. Last updated 02/2011.
Biographical/Historical: The United Odd Fellows Lodge purchased property at 112 East Clifford Street in Winchester, VA in 1890. A building was built the following year to serve as their meeting hall. In 1914, they moved to a new Winchester location at 37 East Boscawen Street.

Unger, Frances Adams Collection, 315 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection contains genealogical material of the Adams, Bean, and Unger families of Frederick County, Virginia. Bean family information is included within an excerpt from “Life and Family of John Bean of Exeter and His Cousin” written by Bernie Bean and provides detailed genealogy of the family and their settlements in Frederick County. Biographical and military information of Thomas Garrett Adams, who served during WWI, is also held within the collection along with a handwritten biographical sketch by Frances Adams Unger.
(1 box) Last Updated 03/2017.

BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Frances Adams Unger is a resident of Frederick County, Virginia. Unger worked to compile biographical and genealogical information on the Adams family, particularly the military work of her uncle, Thomas Garrett Adams. Adams served the U.S. in World War I and died during service the 29th of September, 1918. The Bean family of Frederick County, Virginia can be traced back to Mordecai Bean. Bean initially appeared in Frederick County in 1767, having possibly emigrated from England. In the year 1779, Bean purchased 300 acres of land from part of the Ellis Thomas Grant. The family would remain in this location until after the Civil War. In January of 1871, the Bean family of Frederick County, Virginia moved west to Kansas and continued their lives in an attempt to rebuild following the war. 

Valley Female College Records, 319 THL/WFCHS
The Valley Female College Records collection contains minutes of stockholders meetings from 1878-1881, newspaper articles from 1884 to 1886, commencement programs from 1882 to 1887, and loose papers from the stockholders minute book. The Valley Female College was in operation from 1872 to 1901 and was located in the Angerona building on Piccadilly St., Winchester, VA; then, it was moved to Fort Loudon in 1886.
(1 box) Last updated 02/03.

Valley Female Institute Collection, 211 THL/WFCHS
Scope and Content:
This collection contains materials concerning the Valley Female Institute located in Winchester, Virginia from 1854 to 1860. In 1858 the Virginia General Assembly passed an act allowing the institute to grant degrees. Mr. S.P. York and Mr. G. LaMonte were principals. The school was under Methodist sponsorship. (1 box) Last updated 05/2011.
Biographical/Historical: The building, which was originally the second Methodist Church built in Winchester, is still standing at 112 South Cameron Street. It currently houses law offices.

Valley News Echo Collection, 930 THL
Scope and Content:
This collection contains 51 issues of The Valley News Echo from vol. 1, no. 1 through vol. 6, no. 4 (April 1865), the final issue
(1 box) Last updated 11/03.
Biographical/Historical: The Valley News Echo was a monthly newspaper published by Potomac Edison to commemorate the centennial of the War Between the States. It includes reprints of contemporary accounts of the Civil War. The Valley News Echo was published from October 1959 to April 1965.

Valleys of History Collection, 789 THL/WFCHS
Scope and Content:
This collection consists of volumes 1 (1965) through 7 (1971) of the Valleys of History magazine, which was produced by Potomac Edison. The magazine features articles about local historical figures and places.
(1 box) Last updated 08/03.
Biographical/Historical: Valleys of History magazine was published quarterly by the Potomac Edison Electric Company. The articles pertain to the history and culture of the Potomac and Shenandoah Valleys.

Vance Family Association Collection, 1214 THL
Scope and Content:
This collection is comprised of membership lists, newsletters, descendancy charts, and family trees concerning the Vance family.
(1 box) Last updated 12/2013.
Biographical/Historical: The Vance Family Association is a genealogical group comprised of Vance family members who compile information on the Vance family.

Veach, Larry Collection, 690 THL
Scope and Content:
This collection contains genealogical materials on the Amick, Braithwaite, Cocke, Strother, Hiett, and Veach families. Also included are lists of ministers in Frederick County before 1850 and West Virginia (once Frederick County) post offices. (1 box) Last updated 02/07. 
Biographical/Historical:
Larry Veach compiled and donated this collection. He is a minister in Winchester, VA, and served as a volunteer with the Handley Library Archives from 1987 to 1996.

Veterans of Foreign Wars Collection, 675 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT: The collection contains correspondence between Raleigh Easter and the Veterans of Foreign Wars post #2123 with various other individuals and organizations 1951-1992. Also found within the collection are certificates presented to Raleigh Easter as well as news articles pertaining to the Veterans of Foreign Wars post #2123. Various other items such as scrapbook pages containing correspondence as well as military guidebooks are also contained within the collection.
(1 box) Last Updated 09/16
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: The Veterans of Foreign Wars organization was founded in 1899 and has since been active in the rehabilitation and aide of U.S. veterans and their families who are disabled or in need of assistance. Another goal of the organization is to promote Americanism through strengthened patriotism and constructive service in local communities. The Veterans of Foreign Wars Post #2123 is the active organization in Winchester, Virginia. VFM Post #2123 was chartered April 16, 1931 and remains a committed force in the community.   

Viens, Donald L. Collection, 1685 THL
Scope and Content:
The collection contains many items on Revolutionary War reenacting as well as information on muzzle-loading rifles.
(1 box) Last updated 12/09.
Biographical/Historical: Donald L. Viens was a Winchester-Frederick County native and an avid reenactor.

Vietnam Collection, 1342 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT:
This collection is comprised of news clippings, photographs, correspondence and some service notes made by men and women of the Winchester-Frederick Co., Virginia area, who served in the Vietnam War. Names of veterans who have participated in oral history interviews are marked in the list below.
(1 box) Last updated 08/2016.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: The Vietnam War was a conflict between North and South Vietnam from 1955-1975. The U.S. entered this conflict as an unsuccessful attempt to keep Communist North Vietnam from invading South Vietnam. In 1969, President Nixon withdrew the more than 540,000 U.S. military personnel from Vietnam. The South Vietnamese government was established and the country was officially united as the Socialist Republic of Vietnam.

Virginia Department of Historic Resources Collection, 1547 THL
Scope and Content:
This collection contains 13 reports on archaeology and architectural history of various sites in Frederick and Clarke Counties, VA.
(1 box) Last updated 09/04.
Cite As: Virginia Department of Historic Resources Collection, 1547 THL, Stewart Bell Jr. Archives, Handley Regional Library, Winchester, VA, USA.

Virginia Heart Fund of Winchester-Frederick County Records, 819 THL
Scope and Content:
This collection contains a variety of items from the Virginia Heart Fund of Winchester-Frederick County, VA including news articles, correspondence, and announcements and press releases. Most items cover the 1960s, but there are several items from the 1970s to the 1990s.
(1 box) Last updated 07/10.
Biographical/Historical: The Virginia Heart Fund of Winchester-Frederick County was a fund raising organization that helped educate and raise awareness of heart disease and the proper steps to prevent it. It existed from the late 1950s to the early 1990s.

Virginia Highways and Roads Collection, 1006 THL/WFCHS
SCOPE AND CONTENT: 
This collection is comprised of booklets containing articles about historic roads in Virginia. Collection consists of Highway improvements plans maps (1930’s-1970’s) done by civil engineers for VDOT. The maps follow highway corridors and have numbered agencies. 
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: In 1992, the Virginia (VA) Highways and Transportation Research Council was sponsored jointly by the VA Department of Highways and Transportation and the University of VA. This council studied the history of road and bridge building technology in VA. The result of this project is a series of booklets covering historic roads throughout Virginia.

Virginia Historic Landmark Commission Records, 1350 WFCHS
Scope and Content:
The Virginia Historic Landmark Commission Records is a collection of surveys performed in Frederick County, VA. These surveys evaluated the architectural and historic significance of each chosen landmark.
(3 boxes) Last updated 04/04.
Biographical/Historical: The Virginia Historic Landmark survey was first created in the early 1930s by the Winchester-Frederick County Historical Society; but it was not until 1988 that Maral Kalbian undertook the actual survey of 1,900 sites in Frederick Co., VA. The project took 5 years and cost over $100,000 to complete. This was the first comprehensive historic landmark survey (of structures 50 years old and older) ever performed in Frederick Co., VA. Web site: www.dhr.virginia.gov/

Virginia War History Commission—Winchester Branch Records, 586 THL
This collection contains source material for researchers of World War I veterans of Winchester and Frederick County, VA. Included are forms, letters, etc., which were used by the Virginia War Commission after World War I to acquire information concerning returning veterans of that war. Also included are write-ups on local individuals who served in World War I. (1 box) Last updated 05/03.

Virginia Valley Mills Records, 1703 WFCHS
SCOPE AND CONTENT:
This collection contains an account book used by Virginia Valley Mills from 1866-1886. Articles from the local newspaper are pasted on two-thirds of the pages, creating a scrapbook that recorded local events, as well as a wealth of genealogical information, from the early 20th Century to around 1940.
(1 box) Last updated 01/11.
Biographical/Historical: The Virginia Valley Mills was owned by James Swartz and his wife Mariah, and was operated by their son Newton until 1886 when the business was sold to Festus Hahn. Newton Swartz was married to Rebecca Barr and they had four children together.

Virginia Woolen Mill Company Records, 1119 WFCHS
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This extensive collection contains company records for mills that eventually became part of Virginia Woolen Mills, including Crawford, Dunn, Martinsburg Worsted and Cassimere, and Berkeley. Records for Varel, a finishing plant for Berkeley and Virginia built in 1946, are included. A major portion of the collection deals with labor negotiations and land acquisitions. Included is a portion of an 1883 map of Jefferson Co., WV farms. Newsletters, scrapbooks, blueprints, and photos are also part of this collection. The collection includes material used in the preparation of Weaving a Common Thread - A History of the Woolen Industry in the Top of the Shenandoah Valley, by Wilbur S. Johnston, published by the Winchester-Frederick County Historical Society, 1990, available in the Archives Reading Room, 975.5991 Joh. The buildings were located at 117-119 East Lane and were demolished in.1999. It is now the site of the Timbrook Safety Center.
(5 boxes) Last updated 12/15.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Virginia Woolen Mill was in operation from 1900 to 1958. William H. Crawford established Crawford Woolen Company ca. 1891. He bought several mills in West Virginia. Virginia Woolen Mills, organized by William H. Crawford, began operations in Winchester in 1900. It merged with Berkeley Woolen Mills in 1948. Berkeley emerged after Crawford went bankrupt in 1912-1914. By 1912, Crawford had acquired Jobe, Martinsburg Worsted, and Cassimere, all managed by Thomas L. Dunn. When Crawford died in 1914, Dunn became the sole owner of Crawford Mills assets, and the stock remained in the Dunn family until the mill closed in 1953.