Inventories N-Q-P

Stewart Bell Jr. Archives Room
Handley Regional Library / Winchester-Frederick County Historical Society

NAACP, Winchester Area Branch, Records, 1697 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection contains the minutes, correspondence, and information on the workings of the Winchester Area Branch, NAACP, from the late 1940s to the early 21st Century. Most of the material comes from the 1970s through the early 1980s while the organization was directed by Raymond Ratcliffe. The collection also includes a letter from Martin Luther King, Jr. to Harano Childs, May 21, 1956, thanking him for support of Montgomery Improvement Association. Mr. Childs also received a comic book, “Martin Luther King and the Montgomery Story”,
(7 boxes) Last updated 02/17.

BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, commonly referred to as the NAACP, was founded in New York City, NY on February 12, 1909. Its stated purpose was to ensure the political, educational, social, and economic equality of all persons and to eliminate racial hatred and racial discrimination. Local chapters of the organization have existed almost since the national society’s conception. Like the national organization, local chapters of the NAACP were actively involved in the civil rights movement of the 1950s and 1960s, and its aftermath. The Winchester Area Branch includes the city of Winchester, Frederick County, and Clark County, Virginia. 

Nassour, Ellis Collection, 1357 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT:
This collection contains material acquired by Ellis Nassour in writing Honky Tonk Angel, an Intimate Biography of Patsy Cline. Included are transcripts of oral history interviews and five items of correspondence from Patsy Cline.
(1 box) Last updated 05/04.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Ellis Nassour was born on October 25, 1941 in Vicksburg, MS. He is based in New York City and is an entertainment journalist who has written for The New York Times, Theatre Week, and Broadway. In addition to his book, Honky Tonk Angel, he is also the author of the rock opera, The Creation of Jesus Christ Superstar (Hawthorn/Dutton, 1993) and Patsy Cline: An Intimate Biography *Tower Books, 1981). He is author and lyricist of Patsy—Honky Tonk Angel, a 2-act biographical musical based on the book.

National Active and Retired Federal Employees (NARFE), Chapter 180 Records, 422 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT:
This collection contains the constitution, by-laws, history, membership directory (1991), news clippings, scrapbook (1986-87) and charter (1967). Programs from 1997 for the Virginia Federation, 43rd Annual Convention (videotape included) and the Virginia Federation Memorial Service are included in this collection. (1 box) Last updated 02/13.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Formally known as the National Association of Retired Federal Employees, the National Active and Retired Federal Employees (NARFE) was founded in 1921 by fourteen Federal government retirees to improve the status of retired Federal employees, particularly in the areas of health care and retirement benefits.

National Cemetery Collection, 1502 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT:
This collection contains the deed for Winchester, VA’s National Cemetery along with a brochure, news clippings, and other materials relating to the cemetery. Also included is a record of interments.
(1 box) Last updated 04/2008.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: The National Cemetery, located in Winchester, VA, was dedicated in 1866. Its five acres contain the graves of 4491 Union dead and 2381 unknown dead. The cemetery grounds contain special monuments set up by Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, and New Hampshire, memorials to the 6th Army Corps, the regimental monuments of the 3rd and 34th Massachusetts, the 12th, 13th, and 18th Connecticut, the 114th New York, the 123rd Ohio, and the 8th Vermont. See http://www.cem.va.gov/nchp/winchester.htm which is listed in Internet Explorer Favorites on computers in the Stewart Bell Jr. Archives Reading Room.

National Fruit Product Company Collection, 44 WFCHS
SCOPE AND CONTENT:
This collection contains articles, newsletters, advertisements, and a brief history of the National Fruit Product Company.
(1 box) Last updated 06/12.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Founded in 1908 in Alexandria, VA, National Fruit Product Company moved to Winchester, VA in 1915 to be closer to an apple producing area. The company, operated by the Armstrong Family until 2006 when it was sold to the Gum family, has grown to become of the largest producers of apple related products in the world producing 12 different varieties of fruit products in six plants throughout the United States. The company’s headquarters are still in Winchester, Va.

National Railway Historical Society, Winchester Chapter Collection, 1096 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT: The National Railway Historical Society (NRHS) Collection contains back issues of their newsletter “High Iron” dating from 1984 to 1996. The newsletter updates the group’s activities and members. Also included is a brief sketch of the NRHS. (1 box) Last updated 12/15.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: The National Railway Historical Society was formed by a group of railroad enthusiasts on August 18, 1935. This group is made up of the Lancaster, PA Railway and Locomotive Historical Society and the Interstate Trolley Club of New Jersey who joined together on October 13, 1935. Its main purpose is to research, record, and publish rail histories, preserve and restore equipment, and operate field trips over railroad and trolley lines. Model railroading is also a part of the organization’s outreach. There are over 21,000 members. On April 1967, Winchester, VA was granted a charter and began holding meetings in Boyce Station, Boyce, VA.

Neville, Gabriel; Beam & Neville Records, 402 WFCHS
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection incorporates account books of three origins - Gabriel Neville (1807[?]-1864), Beam & Neville (1865-1866); and P. G. Neville (1866-1900), all blacksmiths of Warren County (Ninevah), Virginia. (1 box) Last updated 01/12.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Gabriel Neville was a blacksmith in Ninevah, Virginia, a small hamlet in Warren County just a few miles north of Front Royal. After his death, his two sons, both Civil War veterans, operated the shop until their deaths.

Neville, Irvin Collection, 974 WFCHS
SCOPE AND CONTENT:
This collection contains materials from the years Irvin Neville served in WWI in the 80th Division. Includes photographs, papers, and various other items. (1 box) Last updated 12/03.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Mr. Neville was born in Mount Storm, Grant County, WV on July 31, 1895. He enlisted on September 17, 1917, and was discharged from Camp Lee, Virginia. After WWI, he worked in Clarke County, VA. Irvin Neville died on March 31, 1975 and was buried at Mt. Hebron Cemetery in Winchester, VA.

New School Colored Baptist Records, 550 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection contains the deed to the New School Colored Baptist Church, dated June 20, 1890 and located on the west side of Kent Street, Winchester, VA. Last updated 01/19/2011.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: The New School Colored Baptist Church received their lot on June 20, 1890, and was located on the west side of Kent Street.

Noonen Livery Records, 1253 WFCHS
SCOPE AND CONTENT:
This collection is comprised of military records from the National Archives for Lieutenant Colonel. George E. Biles, receipts and disbursements of Noonen Livery (1866-1868); and pages copied from published books pertaining to the units mentioned in the Noonen Livery receipt book. Also in the collection are a series of orders issued by General Cuvier Grover on the use of contraband (African-Americans) within his command, and the restrictions placed on African-American troops within his command during the Siege of Port Hudson, LA. (1 box) Last updated 11/10.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: General Cuvier Grover, besides being involved in the Siege of Port Hudson, LA, served with the Union army during the 1864 Shenandoah Valley Campaign and was present at the Battles of Third Winchester, Fishers Hill, and Cedar Creek. He was wounded at the Battle of Cedar Creek. He died on June 6, 1885, and is buried at the West Point Cemetery. Biles was the commander of the 17th U. S. Infantry Regiment (renamed the 88th U. S. Colored Troops on April 4, 1864), which was assigned to the Right Wing of the Union army at the Siege of Port Hudson, LA.

North End Citizens Association, 1645 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT:
This collection contains minutes, news clippings, and correspondence from the North End Citizens Association, an organization founded to advance the restoration and development of the North End section of Winchester, VA. (2 Boxes) Last updated 03/14.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: The North End Citizens Association was founded in late 1990’s to aid in the restoration of the North End of Winchester, VA. In the late 20th Century, the area was faced with deteriorating conditions, and an increase in crime. The advocacy group has promoted such projects as an improvement in street lighting, affordable housing, better representation in local government, and the opening of the Douglas Community Learning Center at the former Douglas School on North Kent St.

Nulton, Louis M. Collection, 874 THL WFCHS
SCOPE AND CONTENT:
This collection contains Nulton family genealogical material and memorabilia from Louis Nulton’s distinguished naval career.
(1 box) Last updated 3/2012.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Admiral Louis McCoy Nulton was born in Winchester, VA, USA, on August 8, 1869, the son of Col. Joseph A. Nulton and Anna Virginia Clark. At age 16, he was appointed to the U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis, MD. On Sept. 5, 1895, he married Minnie Clark Evans. They had two daughters. Nulton served in the U.S. Navy for 48 years, rising to full rank of Admiral in 1929. His excellent performance earned him many assignments in the international arena. He was praised by President Herbert Hoover in a letter for "attain[ing] the highest merit in battle efficiency of any division of its class" when Nulton served in 1929 as Commander of the U.S. Navy Battleship force in the Pacific. For this, he earned the rank of Admiral. After retirement, he and his wife lived in Winchester from 1933 to 1946. Admiral Nulton died November 11, 1954, and was buried in the U.S. Naval Academy Cemetery at Annapolis.

Nuri, Ismet Family Collection, 363 WFCHS
SCOPE AND CONTENT:
The Ismet Nuri Family Collection contains pedigree and descendancy charts for several families, which were researched by Ismail Nuri.
(1 Box) Last updated 02/07.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Ismet Nuri was born on May 16, 1940, to Ismail Osman Nuri and Alma Booze Carpenter in Winchester, VA.

O’Connell, Irvan Jr. Collection, 346 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT: The Irvan O’Connell, Jr. Collection is comprised of a report of damage to the Magill Property caused by Sheridan during the Civil War and a scrapbook dated 1858 – c. 1890.(1 box) Last updated 08/11.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Irvan O’Connell Jr. was born on November 29, 1929 in Winchester, VA to Irvan O’Connell Sr. and Beatrice Heath. A Korean War veteran and a student at Harvard University and the University of Washington, O’Connell Jr. was a lifelong devotee of ancient languages and literature. He was also interested in forestry. He passed away on August 13, 2008.

Old Courthouse Museum Collection, 1601 THL
Scope and Content: The collection contains a variety of items concerning the Old Frederick County, VA Courthouse Museum in Old Town Winchester, including a program from the play The Anvil by Julia Davis that was performed at the courthouse, newspaper articles on the museum and the play, several of the brochures that the museum distributes, and several photographs of the exterior and interior of the building. (1 box) Last updated 10/09.
BIOGRPAHICAL AND HISTORICAL: Built in 1840, the old Frederick County, VA Courthouse was located on the site of the original courthouse, built in 1744. The courthouse served as the judicial center for the county for 144 years, and was the center of local activity during the Civil War. Judge Richard Parker, the judge in the John Brown trail was the presiding judge during that period. With the opening of the Winchester-Frederick County Judicial Center in 1984, the old courthouse went out of use. In 1996, a committee of Fredrick County citizens strongly recommended that the Old Courthouse be renovated, and reopened as a Civil War museum. The Old Courthouse Civil War Museum was opened to the public on May 24, 2003.

Old Fredericktown Garden Club, 1691 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection contains the minutes, reports, awards, and yearbooks of the Old Fredericktown Garden Club. Also within the collection are a variety of items associated with the club’s history, and membership.
(3 boxes) Last updated 10/15.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: In 1934, Mrs. Samuel Preston, along with 10 other charter members, founded the Shawnee Garden Club. Two years later the club changed its name to the Old Fredericktown Garden Club. The club has actively promoted gardening ever since, and has sponsored two new garden clubs, the Lord Fairfax Garden Club and the Glen Burnie Garden Club, in the Winchester-Frederick County, VA area. During World War II the club helped raise money for the war effort by selling and purchasing War Bonds. After the war, the club’s members donated the bonds they had purchased to the City Recreation Department to help build the War Memorial Building.

Old School Baptist Church Records, 551 THL
Scope and Content:
This collection contains two deeds to the Old School Baptist Church in Winchester, VA. One deed is dated May 9, 1868 and is an agreement for the Old School Baptist Church congregation to use a stone church in the northeast part of Winchester for services once a month. The second deed is dated March 9, 1932 and reflects the purchase of the church lot on the east side of East Lane. Last updated 01/19/2011.
Biographical/Historical: The Old Stone Presbyterian Church was deeded on Nov. 2, 1858 to the Old School Baptist Church of Color for $500. In 1868, the Old School Baptist Church deeded the property to Nathan Brackett, trustee for the Free Will Baptist Church of Winchester. On May 31, 1875, an agreement was made with the Winchester School Board to use their building as a school for black children of Winchester until 1927 when the school moved to North Kent Street becoming the Douglas School.

Old Stone Church at Greenspring Collection, 347 THL/WFCHS
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection contains records, minutes, histories, and news articles concerning the Old Stone Church at Greenspring, VA.
(2 boxes and updated 12/ 2015)

BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: The first church to be established at Greenspring was between 1818-1820. That church, however, burned in 1838, and was replaced by the current stone building. Over the years, the Old Stone Church at Greenspring has served several congregations, including ones from the Lutheran, United Brethren, and Methodist church. In 1927, the Old Stone Church at Greenspring Memorial Association was founded to care for the burial grounds associated with the church. The first year the organization had sixty-nine members and today has grown to over two hundred.

Old Time Apple Growers Collection, 239 WFCHS
Scope and Content:
This collection contains minutes, photos, papers, reports. The Old Time Apple Growers were formed to preserve the history of fruit orchards and processing of apples in Frederick Co., Virginia. (3 boxes) Last updated 12/11
Biographical/Historical: The Old Time Apple Growers is a group of orchardists devoted to preserving the history of the apple industry in the Shenandoah Valley.

Old Town Development Board Collection, 180 THL
Scope and Content: This collection (1977 to present) is comprised of plans, audit, minutes, newsletters, and a reference book on costumes of 1890. The group was organized in 1977 as an effort to stimulate business in the downtown area of Winchester, VA and to attract new businesses. (1 box) Last updated 04/09.
Biographical/Historical: The Old Town Development Board started out as the Downtown Development Association, then changed to the Downtown Development Board, and in the mid-1990s became the Old Town Development Board. The goal of the group is to work with businesses in the downtown area. They work to attract new businesses, improve the streetscape, and develop activities to be held in the downtown area.

Opequon Factory Records, 804 THL
Scope and Content:
This collection contains a minute book from 1812 to 1820 of the Opequon Woolen Mill in Frederick County, VA, USA,. Included in the back of this book are the accounts from George Griffith’s Shoe Shop, March 12, 1904 - March 31, 1905. The shop was located at the Coburn & Company store in Piedmont, Mineral County, WV.
(1 box) Last updated 09/03.
Biographical/Historical: The Opequon Woolen Mill was established February 29, 1812 with nine men as shareholders. John Davenport, Lewis and John Hoff, John Clark, John McClure, James Curl, John Wright, George Reid, and Christopher Frye. The first director of the Opequon Manufacturing Co. was John Clark. The last recorded meeting was Dec. 20, 1820.

Opequon Presbyterian Church Collection, 295 THL/WFCHS
Scope and Content:
The Opequon Presbyterian Church collection contains papers, speeches, bulletins, correspondence, histories, and news articles concerning the church. The original Opequon congregation began meeting in a log house in 1736 on land donated by William Hoge. It was located west of Kernstown, VA and was under the oversight of Donegal (PA) Presbytery. It continues as an active church today in Winchester, VA, USA. (1 box) Last updated 11/04.
Biographical/Historical: The first settled minister of Opequon Presbyterian Church was John Hoge who took over in 1755. As the congregation grew, new structures were built. By 1790, two log buildings had been built and torn down to be replaced by a larger stone building. The congregation remained relatively small through the 1800s. The church suffered severe damage during the Civil War as Union troops tore out the floor and woodworking for firewood and used the building as a stable. The cemetery was also desecrated at this time. No services were conducted from 1863 to 1866. In 1873, the small congregation had nearly finished all the repair work when a fire burned the structure to the ground. For the next 24 years, the congregation met at Kernstown Methodist and Mennonite churches. In 1877, the present stone church was built. An educational facility was added in 1956. In 1986, this church celebrated its 250th anniversary as a continuous congregation.

Optimist Club of Winchester Inc. Records, 1662 THL
Scope and Content:
The collections contains information on the history and activities of the Optimist Club of Winchester since its founding in 1958, including news clippings about the organization, a slide show on its history, three written histories of the organization, a list of its presidents, and a scrapbook. (1 box) Last updated 10/08.
BIOGRAHICAL/HISTORICAL: Founded in 1958, the Optimist Club of Winchester is part of the Optimist International which was founded in 1919 to promote positive community and growth opportunities for young boys. Since it’s founding the club has extended its membership and services to women and girls. The Winchester club is one of 3,200 clubs and boasts a membership of over 101,000 internationally. Optimist Club of Winchester continues as an active organization today, and is celebrating its 50th anniversary in 2008.

Opportunity Winchester Collection, 21 THL
Scope and Content:
This collection contains the 2005 report of the Opportunity Winchester Committee. (1 box) Last updated 07/11.
Biographical/Historical: The Opportunity Winchester Committee was created by the City Council in 2002 to address a variety of needs concerning Winchester. After meeting for three years and receiving input from the community, it reported in 2005 a variety of recommendations, and statistics for improving conditions within Winchester.

Orrick Cemetery Collection, 250 THL
This collection includes a listing of gravestone inscriptions from Orrick Cemetery, which is located on Valley Avenue and Southwerk Street, Winchester, Virginia. This cemetery is primarily for Afro-American families. Names in the cemetery have been indexed for this manuscript. Named for Robert Orrick, the owner of the land, Orrick Cemetery is still in use. (1 box) Last updated 01/03.

Ott, John W. Collection, 1405 THL
Scope and Content:
This collection holds the account book of John W. Ott of Halltown, Jefferson County, WV. The account book covers December 1857 to February 22, 1862. The manuscript contains notes on his dry goods accounts including customers’ names.
(1 box) Last updated 06/04.
Biographical/Historical: John W. Ott was born on March 18, 1810. He owned a dry goods store near Harper’s Ferry, WV on the old Harper’s Ferry turnpike. He died on June 1, 1892.

Overseers of the Poor Collection, 77 WFCHS
The Overseers of the Poor was a charitable institution created for the poor and insane people of Winchester and Frederick County, Virginia.  It was in operation from 1793 to the twentieth Century. The collection contains reports of overseers of the poor; finance records, covering 1750-1928; and a scholarly paper on the institution. (1 box) Last updated 08/02.

Page, Mrs. W. Nelson Collection, 131 WFCHS
Scope and Content:
This collection contains two photo albums of pictures of infants, children, and adults taken in the early 1900s and kept by Mrs. W. Nelson Page (Willie McGuire Page) of Winchester, Virginia. In addition, there is genealogical material relating to the Page and McGuire families, and Raymond Rickard. A booklet honoring the centennial of Shenandoah Valley National Bank in 1966 in Winchester, VA, is included with volume 1, August 1892 of "The Blandome and Random News," by editor, Hunter McGuire.
(1 box) Last updated 11/06.
Biographical/Historical: Mrs. Nelson (Willie McGuire) Page was born in 1809 to Dr. William P. and Nannie Tucker McGuire. She was educated in Winchester, VA and New York. A life long member of the Christ Episcopal Church, she sang in the choir for 60 years. She died on June 24, 1985, and is buried at Mt. Hebron Cemetery in Winchester.

Parker, Hilda Collection, 1316 WFCHS
Scope and Content:
This collection is comprised of correspondence, news clippings, magazine articles, and other materials relating to local figures like Harry F. Byrd, Jr. or Sr.
(1 box) Last updated 04/04.
Bibliography: Hilda O. Parker was born on April 20, 1917 in Albin, VA to William A. and Goldie Smith Orndorff. On Nov. 19, 1942, she married Arthur E. Parker. She worked as secretary to Governor Harry F. Byrd, Sr. She was also a member of the Albin Homemakers Club and Burnt Presbyterian Church. She died on October 21, 1991 and was buried in Mt. Hebron Cemetery.

Parkins, Virginia Alice Papers, 365 WFCHS
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection contains letters addressed to Virginia “Alice” Parkins from 1856 to 1929. These letters are from one of her teachers at the Valley Female Institute, her brother Alfred, while serving with the 7th Virginia Cavalry during the Civil War, and various other relatives. The items contained within this collection are due to the donations made by Nellie Parkins Brady. LAST UPDATE: 12/15.
HISTORICAL/BIOGRAPHICAL: Virginia “Alice” Parkins was born April 13, 1845 in Frederick County, VA, the daughter of Alfred and Eliza Hollingsworth Parkins. She was a student at the Valley Female Institute before the Civil War. Her brother, Alfred, served in the 7th Virginia Cavalry. Miss Parkins was never married, and died in Washington, D.C. on March 24, 1931. She is buried in Mount Hebron Cemetery, Winchester, VA. 

Parlett Funeral Home Records, 114 THL
Parlett Funeral Home was in business from 1924 to 1947 in Winchester, Virginia. This collection contains two account books from the funeral home, which have been indexed
(see below). (1 box) Last updated 08/02.

Parrish, John Journals, 306 WFCHS
Scope and Content:
The John Parrish Journals contains abstracts of birth, death, and marriage records covering 1875-1911. He noted events of the families in his neighborhood in Parrishville, VA. Ben Ritter prepared the abstracts in 1999.
(1 Box) Last updated 02/07.
Biographical/Historical: John Parrish, son of Daniel and Mary Kerns Parrish, was born Dec. 16, 1856 and died Oct. 27, 1932. He was a farmer and merchant located between Gore, VA and the West Virginia/Virginia line at Parrishville, VA.

Patrick, Mrs. Gerald Collection, 31 WFCHS
Scope and Content:
The Gerald Patrick Collection contains family papers and memorabilia from the late 1800s. Included are genealogical notes, family bible records, school papers of the Dunbar Female Institute in Winchester, VA, with a list of names of the senior class of 1871, a recipe book, and notes from an 1876 prayer book. The genealogical notes and family bible notes are for the Dangerfield, McCormick, and Parker families.
(1 box) Last updated 05/07.
Biographical/Historical: Mrs. Gerald Patrick is the donor of this collection. She is a resident of York, Pennsylvania.

Patriotic Order of Americans Records, 1107 THL
Scope and Content:
This collection contains membership and financial records of the Patriotic Order of Americans Camp #5 of Winchester, VA from 1916 to 1936. Also included are minutes, receipt books, and a question book.
(1 box) Last updated 1/04.
Biographical/Historical: The Patriotic Order of Americans Camp #5 was a women’s group organized in 1916 by Ella Lloyd and instituted by Adaluie E. Wellstood.

Payne, Betty L. Records, 391 WFCHS
This collection contains an account book kept by Betty L. Payne who ran a school in the Brucetown-Wadesville area of Frederick County. A roster of students is included (1857-1871). (1 box) Last updated 02/03.

Payne, Lawrence Register Collection, 847 WFCHS
Scope and Content:
This collection contains information on Winchester, VA resident Lawrence Register Payne. Items within the collection includes his death certificate, two affidavits, scrapbook pages, and news clippings concerning a child custody court case that hinged on Mr. Payne’s sex, which was in dispute.
(1 box) Last updated 05/09.
Biographical/Historical: Lawrence Register Payne was born Rebecca Payne. After living as a woman for 33 years, Rebecca began living as a man and married Miss Annie Hinton. Mr. Payne, who along with his sister Leila, were raising one of their late sister’s daughters, were sued for custody by the girl’s father in 1886. Payne and his sister won the case in Winchester. Lawrence Payne died on May 6, 1926 in Winchester.

Pence, Richard Allen Collection, 567 THL
Scope and Content: This collection is made up of three booklets on the Pence family written by Richard Allen Pence. The three booklets are entitled: "A Guide to the Pence Families of America," Parts I and II (August and Shenandoah Cos., VA) and "A Guide to the Pence Families of the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia," Part III (Shenandoah Co., VA). (1 box) Last updated 02/2011.
Biographical/Historical: Family history of the Pence families of the Shenandoah Valley, the Pence descendants of Conrad Pence, George Philip Pence, Nicolas Pence, and guides to the Pence families of America.

Pennybacker, Derick Records, 1348 THL
Scope and Content:
This collection is comprised of an account book kept by Derick Pennybacker’s foundry/general merchant business in Frederick County, VA from 1791 to 1793.
(1 box) Last updated 04/04.
Biographical/Historical: Derick Pennybacker was a merchant in Frederick Co., VA during the 1700s and the recorder of this account book.

Perlman, Alvin and Ellen Collection, 785 THL
Scope and Content:
This collection contains memorabilia from Handley Junior and Senior High Schools, Winchester, VA, USA and a scrapbook containing Largent Family genealogy. There is a paper delivered by Alvin Perlman at a Conference on the Federal Constitution in the Shenandoah Valley 1780-1800 at Shenandoah College, Winchester, VA, 1988 entitled "The Reaction to the Constitution in Frederick County and the Lower Shenandoah Valley [of Virginia]" There are a series of newsletters, Focus on Education, Winchester City Schools, Nov. 1987 –May/June 1991, that were edited by Alvin Perlman. (3 boxes) Last updated 12/13.

Biographical/Historical: Alvin and Ellen Perlman are the donors of this collection.
Ellen Largent Perlman is a native of Winchester, Virginia.

Pierce, Hugh O. Papers, 960 THL
Scope and Content:
This collection contains an autobiography written by Hugh Oglevy Pierce and a copy of his school composition book with genealogy notes. The autobiography has been transcribed to a 25-page typescript. Also included are indentures and deeds relating to Mr. Pierce and his family and a "Sacred Album" containing poems to Elizabeth Laura Hartley written from 1848 to 1850.
(1 box) Last updated 01/06.
Biographical/Historical: Hugh Oglevy Pierce, son of Amos Pierce and Mahala Virginia Whiteford, was born in Fauquier County, VA, in 1843. His family moved to Frederick County, VA, in 1852. During the Civil War, he served in Co. F 51st VA Militia. After the Civil War, he was Frederick county magistrate of Opequon. He died on June 4, 1924, and was buried at St. John’s Lutheran Church in Frederick County. He was survived by three children: Mrs. Blanche Morley, A.C. Pierce, and Conley Pierce.

Pifer, Randolph Papers, 1649 THL,
SCOPE/CONTENT:
The collection contains several ledger books and a journal from the businesses of Randolph Pifer as well as a folder of miscellaneous articles, new clippings, and hand written letters concerning Randolph Pifer.
(1 box) Last updated 06/08.
Biographical/Historical: Randolph Pifer was born in Frederick County, VA in 1838. His father was a German immigrant, and one of the early settlers of the county. When the Civil War broke out, Randolph Pifer enlisted in Company A, First Virginia Cavalry, and despite being wounded twice, served with the regiment for the entire war and surrendered with it at Appomattox. After the war, he married Mary Cooper of Frederick County and settled in Stephens City, VA. Pifer owned a farm in Stephens City, and ran a mercantile shore on Capon Road. He also served as the Frederick County treasurer, was supervisor for the Opequon District, and taught public school in the southeastern part of the county. He died on January 6, 1920, and is buried in Frederick County.

Pilot Club of Winchester Collection, 880 THL
Scope and Content:
This collection contains the records of the Pilot Club of Winchester, VA, USA from 1970 to 1995. Included is the club’s association with the Lifeline program. (7 boxes) Last updated 01/07.
Biographical/Historical: The partial purpose of the Pilot Club of Winchester is to "develop friendship as a means of broadening opportunity for service and to encourage and promote international peace and cultural relations." The local chapter closed in December 2003.

Pittenger, Tress E. Jr. Collection, 1667 # THL
Scope and Content:
The collection contains genealogical research information on the Wetzell, Bucher (or Booker), Thrift, Moffett, Kieffer, Zellers, and Brown families as they relate to the ancestry of Tree E. Pittenger Jr.’s grandmother. All of the families covered in the research material lived for a time in the Frederick County, VA area. The collection is primarily arranged by the correspondence Pittenger had with other genealogists. (1 box) Last updated 01/09.
Biographical/Historical: Tress E. Pittenger is a genealogist who resides in Akron, OH.

Place, Cephe Fahnestock Collection, 1124 THL
Scope and Content:
This collection is comprised of an abstract of Continental Morgan Guards from Winchester News (1866), Fahnestock graveyard list (1990), thesis on the Kurtz Cultural Center by Cephe F. Place (1990), and a program to 1990 graduation at Shenandoah College and Conservatory. News articles about local history topics and brief genealogies of local families are also included.
(1 box) Last updated 07/07.
Biographical/Historical: Cephe Fahnestock Place is the donor of this collection and a Winchester, VA resident.

Plank, Terry Collection, 547 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT:
This collection contains correspondence and genealogical data of the Baker, Wood, Fisher, Good, Fauver/Fauber, and Trook families of the Lower Shenandoah Valley. It also contains a number of letters dating from the Civil War period addressed to Winchester native Lizzie Baker during and shortly after the Civil War, including five letters from Lieutenant “Billie” Funk of the Stonewall Brigade concerning the Gettysburg and Mine Run Campaigns. Another group of letters is from Nellie Braddon relating her experiences traveling through Europe with a “Wild West” show. Also contained within the collection are letters from Spanish American War and letters of condolence to Maggie Wood.
(4 boxes) Last updated 09/16.

BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: The Baker, Wood, Fisher, Trook, and Good families were residents of the Lower Shenandoah Valley during the 19th and 20th Centuries. Of these families, the Baker family, who are the descendants of a Hessian soldier captured during the Revolutionary War, and sent to Winchester as a prisoner.     

Plater, Richard Collection, 1490 THL
Scope and Content:
This collection is comprised of correspondence, speeches, notes, ledgers, and other papers concerning the American National Red Cross and horticulture. Horticultural notes relate to Play Gardens, a home in Clarke County, VA. Edward G. Butler served in the American National Red Cross in canteen and hospital services in World War I. He served primarily in England.
(2 boxes) Last updated 02/13.
     Biographical/Historical: Richard Plater was born on May 9, 1908 in Nashville, TN. On his mother’s side he is a descendant of the Custis, Lewis, and Washington families. Plater married Eleanor Leake of Massachusetts and the couple had two sons Ormonde and David. Residing in Clarke County, VA for many years, Plater died on Christmas Day, 2004 at his home in Thibodaux, LA. He was 96.
     Edward Gay Butler was born in Iberville Parish, LA on April 18, 1872. Educated at Harvard he married Emily Mansfield of St. Louis. Butler is also a descendent of the Lewis and Custis families. His great-grandmother was Eleanor Parke Custis, step-granddaughter of George Washington. After 1901, Butler and his wife resided at "Annfield" in Clarke County, VA. Butler died on February 8, 1952, just six months after his wife, Emily, who died on August 26, 1952.
    Butler served in the American Red Cross during World War I, and Plater served in the same organization during World War II. All four are buried in the Old Chapel Cemetery, Clarke County, VA

Poe, Jerome Collection, 414 THL
Scope and Content:
This collection contains sympathy cards received by the Laren family, get well and Easter cards received by Louise Ridgeway, and school papers and a report card of Tom Pollard.
(1 box) Last updated 02/06.
Biographical/Historical: The Laren family lived in Winchester, VA, and Louise Ridgeway lived in Stephens City, VA, at the time of the correspondence.

Pomeroy Family Collection, 1694 WFCHS
Scope and Content:
This collection contains the genealogical research of Charles W. Pomeroy, and includes information on the Pomeroy, Beaty, Henry, Lehew, and Brown families as well as information about Warren County, VA.
(1 box) Last updated 02/11.
Biographical/Historical: Charles Wilson Pomeroy (1936-2008) was born and lived the majority of his life in Front Royal, VA. After graduating from Warren County High School in 1955 Pomeroy earned a degree in engineering from Virginia Tech. After graduation he enlisted in the U. S. Air Force, serving from 1959-1987. He rose to the rank of Colonel and won many awards during his service, including the Bronze Star. After retiring from the Air Force, Pomeroy became the Director of Public Works for Front Royal. Pomeroy was married to Gail Clifton Pomeroy. He died on July 24, 2008.

Preservation of Historic Winchester Collection, 875 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection is comprised of records and notes of Preservation of Historic Winchester Inc., Winchester, VA, USA. The information is mainly newspaper clippings, brochures, etc. on the activities of the organization along with the general Tables 1-16 Real Estate Property Survey of Winchester, March 1936.
(2 boxes) Last updated 01/16.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Preservation of Historic Winchester Inc. was incorporated in 1964 with the goal of “safeguarding the heritage of the city and assuring a quality of life for tomorrow represented by the best of Winchester’s past.”

Prince, James L. Collection, 1480 # WFCHS
Scope and Content: The collection contains bill receipts, checks, insurance policies, and other material of Maude Prince( Mrs. James Prince) from the mid-1900’s.
(1 box) Last updated 08/09.
Biographical/Historical: Maude Prince was a residents of Winchester, VA.

Quarles, Garland Collection, 1525 WFCHS
Scope and Content: This collection is comprised of miscellaneous papers covering a range of subjects from genealogical information to state histories.
(2 boxes) Last updated 01/10.
Biographical/Historical: Garland Redd Quarles was born January 27, 1901 at Ruther Glen, Caroline County, VA, the only child of George Wilson and Elizabeth Wesley Donahoe Quarles. He came to Winchester, VA in 1923 after graduating from Randolph-Macon College in Ashland, VA, having accepted an English teaching position at Handley School. He married Nancy Katherine Crisman, a fellow teacher, on June 13, 1925.
His interest in local history is best demonstrated by the numerous books he authored, which are used extensively as guides for fellow historians. He has also been recognized in local educational circles, having a school (Quarles Elementary) in Winchester named after him. Dr. Quarles died on August 20 1986.

Quarles, Garland R. Elementary School Records, 630 THL
Scope and Content:
This collection is comprised of scrapbooks maintained by the principal of Garland R. Quarles Elementary School in Winchester, VA. It contains news items, pictures, and other memorabilia of school and local events, and reflects national events such as school integration. The scrapbooks date from 1955 to 1970.
(5 boxes) Last updated 05/06.
Biographical/Historical: Garland R. Quarles Elementary School was opened Sept. 19, 1955. The school cost $326,931 to build and is situated on S. Loudoun St. in Winchester. It was named after Garland R. Quarles, who had served as the superintendent of Winchester Public Schools. The school opened with 325 students and is still in operation.