Inventories E F

Stewart Bell Jr. Archives Room
Handley Regional Library /  Winchester-Frederick County Historical Society

Earhart, John W. Papers, 1569 WFCHS
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This ledger records the transactions of a gristmill owned and operated by John W. Earhart during the years 1855 to 1858.
(1 box) Last updated 10/04.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: This John W. Earhart is probably the one who married Emily V. Sappington on December 13, 1850 in Frederick County, VA. By August 1860, John and Emily appear in the U.S. Census records for 1860 for Hannibal township, Marion County, Missouri, occupation "miller," birth in VA.wenty-eight names "randomly" extracted from the ledger were compared against the U.S. Census records for 1850 and 1860. The majority was from Clarke and Frederick Counties. Although not all were listed as having occupations, they were obviously related to a mill, and the evidence strongly suggests a location in western Clarke/eastern Frederick Counties.

Ebert, Rebecca A. Collection, 1587 WFCHS
SCOPE AND CONTENT: 
This collection contains a variety of items concerning Winchester-Frederick County, VA African-American History, Women’s History, and the 2012 Quaker Exile Tour. The local African-American History was collected and used by Ms. Ebert while working on her Master’s thesis at the University of Maryland. The thesis, “A Window on the Valley” is also in the collection. 
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Rebecca Ebert is a native of Winchester. She is a graduate of Handley High School, Radford College, and University of Maryland. She is the archivist of the Stewart Bell Jr. Archives of the Handley Regional Library and the Winchester Frederick County Historical Society.

Eddy, C. Vernon Collection, 811 WFCHS/THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT: 
This collection contains a bound notebook of articles entitled, “Things and Thoughts,” and a folder containing carbon copies of interviews with C. Vernon Eddy, director of Handley Library and resident of Winchester, VA, USA. It also contains interviews with Mr. Eddy concerning Judge John Handley and other miscellaneous papers. 
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Charles Vernon Eddy was born in 1877. He attended the Shenandoah Valley Academy and graduated in 1896. He was co-operator of Eddy Press. In 1913, Eddy became the first librarian of the Handley Library, serving until 1960. In the community, he served as secretary-treasurer of the Winchester Historical Society and was considered a distinguished Mason. In 1905, he married Katherine Graham Kurtz. He died in 1963 and was buried in Mt. Hebron Cemetery.

Eddy, William Records, 1508 WFCHS
SCOPE AND CONTENT:
This collection contains two leather-bound accounts books. The first is dated from June 20, 1876 to March 1881 and the second, from August 1878 to June 1887. The nature of the Winchester, VA business is not clear.
(1 box) Last updated 09/04.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL William Newton Eddy was born in Frederick County, VA in 1830. He bought The Valley Mill (sometimes called Helm-Eddy House) from James M. Burgess in 1862. The mill was destroyed by federal troops in 1864 and later was rebuilt. About 1875, he moved into Winchester, VA, but still considered himself a miller for the 1880 census. Mr. Eddy’s two sons-in-law, Cunningham and McKindter, continued running the mill. Mr. Eddy died in 1888. In his will, he gave the Valley Mill to his wife.

Edwards, George Diary Collection, 1585 WFCHS
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection is a diary by George H. Edwards of Frederick County, Virginia. The diary covers the area around Cross Junction, VA, from 1899 through 1931. The collection is divided chronologically, the diaries have been transcribed but there is no index. Richard Edwards prepared the transcript.
(1 box) Last updated 08/05.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: George H. Edwards was born in Hampshire County, the son of William and Mary Edwards. He married Clara Virginia Braithwaite of Frederick County on August 27, 1890.

Election-Political Papers, 1479 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection is comprised of material regarding political activities and elections from 1855 to 1896 in the Winchester-Frederick County, VA area.
(1 box) Last updated 03/10.

Eller, Charlotte J. Collection, 1611 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT:
This collection contains a scrapbook, made up primarily of newspaper clipping on a variety of subjects dating from the mid-19th Century to the early 20th Century. Loose items that were in the scrapbook are now in acid-free folders. Within the collection, there are some items that are as late as the 1950s.
(1 box) Last updated 10/10.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Charlotte J. Eller is a long time resident of Winchester, VA

Ellinger and Brother Records, 1463 WFCHS
SCOPE AND CONTENT:  This collection contains account books, ledgers, and an invoice book of this Winchester, VA business. Included are correspondences from Ellinger & Brother from Dec. 1874 to Aug. 1877. Ellinger & Brother was a dealer of groceries, whiskey, wines, cedar, and Queenware.
(1 box) Last updated 07/04.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: William Ellinger & Brother were dealers of groceries, whiskey, wines, cedar, and Queenware in Winchester, VA. The business was located on Water Street opposite Market Square (now Boscawen Street opposite City Hall).

Elliot, Sheila Gaither Collection, 1732 WFCHS
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection contains materials relating to military registration and service of African-American men in Frederick County, Virginia in both the Civil War and World War I. Information has been culled from Ancestry. (2 boxes) Last updated 01/2016
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: The materials were gathered and donated by Sheila Gaither Elliot, a local resident. The collection provides a key glimpse into the impact African-American servicemen had in American wars and in American history. The material found here also provides a closer look at local Winchester and Frederick County history.

Ellis, Linda Jean Collection, 1519 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT:
This collection is a loose-leaf binder of 53 pages containing information on the Limes/Lymes family who lived in Frederick County, VA. Included are personal property records and court records. The collection also contains a news article by Linda Jean Ellis entitled, "Take a family trip down Limes Road," published in The Spectrum, February 27, 2004.
(1 box) Last updated 08/08. Digitized 03/07.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: The genealogy begins with Harmon Limes’ birth in England in 1750. He arrived in Anne Arundel County, VA, in 1773. Harmon Limes moved to Winchester, Frederick County, VA, in 1791. The Limes family moved to Fayette County, OH, in approximately 1810.

Emmanuel United Methodist Church Collection, 1417 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT:
The collection contains records of the Emmanuel United Methodist Church and its predecessor Milburn Church from the late 19th century, including baptism and transfers of membership.(1 box) Last updated 09/08
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: The Emmanuel United Methodist Church was founded in 1887 by the former member of Milburn Church. The Milburn Church, which was established in 1771, was partially destroyed during the Civil War, and its members decided to build a new church rather than repair the old one. Beginning as a one building, Emmanuel United Methodist Church was expanded in 1936, 1957, and 1986.

Empire Theater Collection, 494 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT:
This collection contains a variety of items associated with the Empire Theater, Winchester, VA, including news articles, programs, promotional calendars, and an envelope with the theater’s home address. (1 box) Last updated 05/16.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: The Empire Theater opened in early June, 1909 and was located at the northwest corner of North Cameron St. and Rouss Ave. The theater featured vaudeville, silent movies, and light opera, until it was destroyed by fire in July, 1912. Undeterred, the owner, J. Henkel Henry, rebuilt the structure and it was reopened on Christmas Day, 1913. In 1927, the theater was sold to the Shenandoah Valley Theater Corporation who renamed it the Capitol Theater.

Engle, Elizabeth Collection, 112 WFCHS
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection is comprised of genealogical and historical information, news articles, and family papers compiled by Elizabeth C. Engle.
(4 boxes) Last updated 01/16.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Elizabeth Crawford Engle (April 22, 1910-May 30, 2006) was a Winchester resident, a member of the Presbyterian Church and active in many civic organizations.

Entertainments in the Area, 1750 THL 
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection contains information and programs about entertainment in the Frederick County and Winchester, Virginia area. Features of this collection include plays, musical performances, and lectures on specific topics. The events range over the 19th and 20th centuries.
(2 Boxes) Last Updated 08/16.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: The collection focuses on the primary locations for entertainment within Winchester and Frederick County, Virginia, including Rouss City Hall, Court-House Hall, Empire Theatre, Handley Library Auditorium, Handley School Auditorium and the Winchester Theatre. All locations provide an individual and collective history of entertainment within the area as they all played host to theatre performances (both amateur and professional), musical performances, and lectures.

Episcopal Female Institute Records, 156 THL/WFCHS
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection contains items, which give names of students and teachers as well as catalogues describing classes and facilities, and the minutes of the Board of Directors. (1 box) Last updated 02/12.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: The institute was established in 1874 by a group of local citizens under the sponsorship of the Protestant Episcopal Church of the Diocese of Virginia to provide education to daughters or wards of members of that church. By 1911, the school had closed and all real estate was sold.

Equity Improvement Company of Winchester, Virginia, Collection, 495 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT:
This collection contains organizational information, prospectus and stock certificates as well as maps of Winchester including improvements proposed by the Equity Improvement Company of Winchester, VA (Note-information pertaining to the Equity Improvement of Scranton, PA is filed in 522, the John Handley Collection).
(1 box) Last updated 11/10
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: John Handley began visiting friends in the Winchester area in the 1880s. By 1888 he told them he wanted to do something for the local citizens’ benefits. The Equity Company was incorporated on January 25, 1890 and the list of projects to provide employment and housing was drawn up and stock was sold. However, only "The Winchester Inn" was completed. By August 11, 1899 the venture was a clear failure and the Board of Directors noted to dissolve the corporation and sell all of the property.

Ewing Family Association Collection, 1654 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT:
The collection contains copies of the Journal of Clan Ewing, a quarterly journal published by Ewing Family Association. The volumes date from February, 2007 to 2010.. (1 box) Last updated 04/14).
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: The Ewing Family Association is a genealogical society that promotes interest in the Ewing family, shares research, sponsors reunions, and encourages a continuous relationship between members of the clan. The organization has been publishing a quarterly journal since 1994 which shares historical and genealogical information with the member of the society.

Fagan, Daniel Family Collection, 1437 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection is comprised of news articles, correspondence, memorabilia, and obituaries concerning Daniel Fagan and his family.
(1 box) Last updated 04/14.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Daniel Fagan, son of John and Mary Fagan, was born in Winchester, VA in 1827. Just before the Civil War, he moved to Luray, VA, where he became a highly respected citizen. He took part in the John Brown Raid at Harper’s Ferry as part of Morgan’s Continentals Guards. During the Civil War, he was a member of Co. K, 10th VA Infantry as First Lieutenant. After an injury at the First Battle of Manassas, VA, he returned to Luray, VA, where he went on to become the mayor. By occupation, he was a marble cutter and carved many of the headstones in Green Hill Cemetery. Daniel Fagan died on February 5, 1892 and is buried in Green Hill Cemetery, Luray, VA.

Fairfax Hall Records, 480 WFCHS/THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection has catalogues, certificates, and commencement and baccalaureate programs of Fairfax Hall. Also included are copies of The Fairfax Review, a publication written by students.
(1 box) Last updated 03/10.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: The Rev. Silas Billings and his daughters, Mary E. and Cornelia F. Billings established Fairfax Hall, a school for girls in Winchester, VA, in 1869. The school occupied the premises of the former Valley Female Institute (112 S. Cameron St., which is still standing) until 1902 when it was moved to the Winchester Inn (109 S. Stewart St.). It closed around 1904.

Fairfax, Thomas, Lord Collection, 57 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT
: The bulk of this collection is grants and indentures to land from Thomas, Lord Fairfax as proprietor of the Northern Neck of Virginia. Also included are transcripts of the suit Joist Hite et al. v. Fairfax, et al. began in 1749, appealed in 1782, and finally settled in Hite’s favor in1802 after all of the principals were dead. Several early articles about Lord Fairfax are in the collection.
(4 boxes) Last updated 06/12.
Note: Land grants give land to grantees, their heirs, and assigns in perpetuity so long as an annual fee is paid. Indentures are shorter-term contracts, good for a stated length of time, such as the lifetime of specified parties.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Thomas, the Sixth Lord Fairfax, Baron of Cameron, was born on October  22, 1693 at Leeds Castle in Kent County, England. By 1719 he had inherited all the land of what became known as the Northern Neck Grant in Virginia. Lord Fairfax journeyed to Virginia to look after his lands in March 1735. Subsequently, he hired George Washington to survey his holdings (1749-1752), established residence at Greenway Court in Frederick County (now Clarke County). Fairfax died on December 9, 1781.

Fansler, Magdalene Z. Collection, 1639 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT:
The Magdalene Z. Fansler Collection contains a farm accounting book entitled Cox’s Farm Accounting. The book was not used extensively by its owner and it has few entries in it of a miscellaneous nature. The front part of the book has information on farm technology which can be of interest to researchers of agricultural technology in the early 20th Century. The book is vintage 1913. Last updated: 02/08
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: This farm accounting book was donated to the Handley Regional Library by Magdalene Z. Fansler. The original owner is unknown

Farmer, Pauline W.  Collection, 1664 WFCHS]
SCOPE AND CONTENT:
The collection contains a scrapbook kept by Pauline W. Farmer of match book covers that she collected over the last half century. It includes businesses of Winchester, Virginia and the Mid-Atlantic area.
(1 box) Last updated 01/13.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Pauline W. Farmer was a long time resident of Winchester, VA

Farmers’ Bank of Winchester Records, 409 THL/WFCHS
SCOPE AND CONTENT:
These records include an account book of the Farmers’ Bank of Virginia’s business with other banks and individuals (1846-58), two bank journals (1859-67, 1857-62), and a deposit journal (1857-62). It also contains bank notes and history.
(3 boxes) Last updated 04/12.
HISTORICAL/BIOGRAPHICAL: The Farmers’ Bank of Virginia was incorporated in Richmond, Virginia on February 13, 1812, and was chartered in 1817 in Winchester, Virginia under the name of The Bank of the Valley in Virginia. Founded at the beginning of the War of 1812, it was hoped that the bank would help avoid much of the financial problems that Virginia had suffered during the American Revolution. The Winchester branch of the bank, which was located on the southwest corner of Loudoun and Boscawen Streets was immensely successful. It was run by Judge J. H. Sherrard (1802-1889), who lived with his family on the second floor of the bank. After being repeatedly occupied and ransacked by Federal forces during the Civil War the bank closed permanently after the war.

Farmers and Merchants National Bank Collection, 119 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT:
This collection includes several news articles both original and photocopied about the dedication of Court Square in 1997 and the opening of new branches in 1968, annual reports, almanacs, various promotional items, copies of the newsletter "The Beacon" from 1924 and 1928, a brief, typed history of the bank, and a war bond envelope.
(2 boxes) Last updated 06/12.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Farmers and Merchants National Bank is a bank local to Winchester, first organized in December 1901 and formally opened for business on January 13, 1902. The original portion of the present bank was completed and occupied in 1903, and was located upon the historical lot No. 19, as indicated by the original plans for the city by Col. James Wood. The first board of directors included John Keating, Daniel Annan, W.P. McGuire, Perry C. Gore, W.C. Graichen, German Smith, Harry H. Baker, Maurice M. Lynch, James W. Rhodes, Walter E. Barr, Charles E. Clevenger, Samuel M. Chiles, John M. Steck, Sr., Thomas M. Nelson, E.D. Newman, Robert T. Barton, and Jacob S. Haldeman.
   Robert Barton became the first president of the bank and served this position until his death in 1914. In 1929 the bank bought the adjacent Rosenmyer property, and from 1946-1947 the banking house was renovated and expanded. F&M expanded further in 1954 with the erection of the branch bank on N. Cameron, and a second branch on Valley Avenue was opened in 1958. In 2001, F&M experienced a turnover when it was bought by BB&T. This merger was announced at the beginning of the year in January and approved in June, and F&M performed its last transactions in December. Its addresses included the original headquarters at 100 Loudon St. and the newer headquarters on 115 N. Cameron St.

Fawcett, Betty Jean Collection, 85 WFCHS
SCOPE AND CONTENT:  The Betty Jean Fawcett Collection includes correspondence, land records, family trees, written histories and lineages, news articles, and other memorabilia connected to the Fawcett and Snapp families from approximately 1736 to the late 20th century. While primarily concerning the Fawcetts of Frederick County, there are also some records of those family members who moved to Ohio and of their descendants in Salem, Ohio. It also includes correspondence, information, and memorabilia about community institutions, particularly the Ft. Loudon Seminary and the Mount Pleasant Quaker Graveyard, as well as other area cemeteries.
(1 box) Last updated 08/15.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL:  The Fawcett Family came to Pennsylvania from County Ulster, Ireland, and likely had migrated there from Yorkshire, though family tradition has also posited that they descended from French Huguenots. They were Quaker, and Thomas and Lydia Fawcett and their sons (Thomas, John, and Richard) followed a common path of Irish Quaker immigration by going to Chester County, Pennsylvania, and joining the Meeting there in 1736.
  Though the son Thomas returned to Ireland, Thomas and Lydia Fawcett, migrated to the Shenandoah Valley in 1742/3, and took up membership in the Hopewell Friends Meeting. They were followed by John and Richard in the following years, and settled near what became known as Fawcett’s Gap near Little North Mountain in Frederick County. The first land grant from Lord Fairfax to a Fawcett was to Richard Fawcett in 1750.
  In 1800, the Fawcetts began moving to Ohio, leaving Joseph Fawcett (1786-1864) (great-grandson of Thomas and Lydia, through their son Richard and grandson Thomas) the only Fawcett of his generation to stay in Frederick County. He married Mary Branson, and they had three daughters and one son, Elkanah Fawcett (1820-1900), who lived on the ancestral Fawcett land with his wife, Margaret A. Funkhouser, daughter of Martin Funkhouser.

Feagans, Lurena McIlwee  Collection, 1682 THL
 SCOPE AND CONTENT : The collection contains material and memorabilia from the career of W. H. McIlwee, the first director of the John Handley High School Band compiled by his daughter, Lurena McIlwee Feagans.
(1 box) Last updated 03/10.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Lurena McIlwee Feagans was the daughter of John Handley High School Band Director W. H. McIlwee. She born December 31, 1914 and passed away on October 5, 2009. Her father was the founder of what is today the John Handley High School Marching Band. Originally from Romney, WV, W. H. McIlwee was proficient in both the piano and cornet from his childhood, and had a knack for forming successful bands. During his lifetime he was responsible for forming and directing several successful bands. In addition to the one he founded at John Handley High School, he established the McIlwee Concert Band when he was a teenager. McIlwee passed away in the 1945.

Finley, Alexander Walker and Bonnie Huffman Family Collection, 1552 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT:  This collection contains material about local history and the Finley family as well as genealogical material on the Faulkner, Helpinstine, Kremer, and Maynard families.
(1 box and last date updated 12/14)
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Alexander Walker and Bonnie Huffman Finley are long-time residents of Winchester, VA.

First American Bank Records Collection, 1088 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection consists of newspaper articles, correspondence, and historical information of the Bank of the Valley in Virginia, which became Shenandoah National Bank, then First American Bank, Winchester, VA.
(4 boxes) Last updated 1/04.
Biographical/Historical: The Bank of the Valley in Virginia was established in Winchester on January 17, 1818 with branches in Leesburg, Charlestown, and Romney. The bank closed during the Civil War and then reopened afterward as the Shenandoah National bank on January 9, 1866. In the 1980s, the bank was renamed First American Bank.

First Night Winchester Collection, 718 THL,
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection contains a brief history, general information, volunteer instructions, several brochures and programs, and buttons for First Night Winchester, an annual event in Old Town Winchester on New Year’s Eve.
(1 box) Last updated 03/17.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Founded by Kathy Nerangis in 1986, First Night Winchester in an annual event on the Old Town Walking Mall every New Year’s Eve. First Night Winchester is a dues paying member of First Night USA, an organization founded in Boston, MA in 1976. Both organizations are committed to putting on a celebration that brings families and friends together in an alcohol-free environment. Events feature local entertainers in a festival atmosphere.  

First Presbyterian Church Records, 1135 THL
Scope and Content:
This collection contains account books, correspondence, and church records, as well as membership directories and early sermons. Information pertains to this congregation and its predecessor Presbyterian churches in Winchester, VA.
(8 boxes) Last updated 08/2016.
Biographical/Historical: A Presbyterian congregation was present in Winchester as early as 1765, and the “Old Stone Church” where they worshipped was built ca. 1788. In 1834, that building was sold and the congregation reunited with the Kent Street Church, whose members had splintered during 1825. The reunion did not last and a group of 44 members withdrew in 1838. By 1841, they had purchased the present site on Loudoun Street and begun construction of a new church. Once again the Kent Street and Loudoun Street congregations merged in 1900, and they became known as the First Presbyterian Church.

First United Methodist Church Records, 1461 THL/WFCHS
SCOPE AND CONTENT:
This Winchester, VA church collection contains church records, directories, bulletins, and blueprints of the Education Building built in 1961 and church alterations made in 1988.
(2 boxes) Last updated 09/11.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: The church began as part of the United Brethren denomination, and became a distinct organization in 1800. By 1834, the first regular minister was assigned to the Winchester Mission, and the first church building was erected in 1872. The current church building was built in 1922. In May, 1968, the church merged with a Methodist Church, and adopted its current name, First United Methodist Church.

Fitzgerald, Michael Collection, 781 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT:
This collection is made up of poems, essays, news clippings, and ponderings of Michael Fitzgerald, known locally as the "poet laureate of the Shenandoah Valley (Virginia, USA). Some of these works have been published.
(2 boxes) Last updated 12/13.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Michael Fitzgerald has published numerous books of poetry and nonfiction, children’s literature, and magazines articles. His poems have been published in major American poetry journals. He studied at Wesleyan University, Earlham College, and the Iowa Writers’ Workshop and has taught workshops and read his poems in Europe, Canada and the US. Fitzgerald has been nominated for the Pulitzer Prize and the National Book Award, and won several awards. He is a member of the Academy of American Poets. He has worked on projects for the Folger Shakespeare Library, National Public Radio, the Smithsonian Institution, the National Federation for the Blind, Warner Brothers, the US Public Interest Research Group, and others. He lives and writes in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, USA.

Flickinger, B. Floyd Papers, 1575 WFCHS
SCOPE AND CONTENT:
This collection is comprised of miscellaneous papers covering research on the life of General Daniel Morgan by B. Floyd Flickinger. The materials are arranged in chronological order.
(6 boxes) Last updated 02/06.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: General Daniel Morgan was born in 1736 in New Jersey and died on July 6, 1802 at his home in Winchester, VA. His spectacular service during the American Revolutionary War, particularly at the Battle of Saratoga and Cowpens, earned him a gold medal from Congress and the rank of Brigadier General in the Continental Army. In 1828, B. Floyd Flickinger chose the life of Daniel Morgan as his thesis at the University of Virginia. He became the first park historian for the National Park Service in Jamestown, VA. This collection was acquired in preparation for a book.

Fort Loudoun Chapter NSDAR Records, 479 THL/WFCHS
SCOPE AND CONTENT:
This collection is comprised of minutes, certificates, correspondence, scrapbooks, regents’ lists, yearbooks, membership forms, obituaries and other material concerning the Fort Loudoun Chapter of the National Society Daughters of the American Revolution (NSDAR) from 1921 to the present.
(15 boxes) Last updated 08/2016. DIGITIZED 03/07.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: The Fort Loudoun Chapter of the NSDAR was organized at Washington’s Headquarters on Dec. 2, 1921, with Dr. Kate Barrett as Virginia state regent and Katherine Glass Greene as organizing regent of the chapter. There were 27 original members to the tenth chapter formed in Virginia. The purpose of the NSDAR is to provide a national organization for women to remember the men and women who achieved independence through education and research. The chapter now has over 125 members and continues to promote the history of America through scholarships, essay contents, and special historical and patriotic programs.

Fort Loudoun Seminary Records, 66 THL/WFCHS
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection includes catalogs and yearbooks, programs, and legal papers pertaining to the Fort Loudoun Seminary, which operated from 1905 to 1925. The girls’ School was located at 411 N. Loudoun Street.
(1 box) Last updated 09/16.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: The Fort Loudoun Seminary was founded in 1905 by Katherine D. Glass and Laura Gold. The seminary at 411 N. Loudoun (now the Fort Loudoun Apartments) was the outgrowth of a music school conducted by Miss Glass prior to 1905. Miss Glass married Mr. H.R. Greene in 1921 and continued to operate the school until 1925. See Katherine Glass Greene Collection, 712 THL.

Fort Loudoun, Virginia Collection, 580 WFCHS
SCOPE AND CONTENT
: This collection is comprised of a map of Winchester, VA (1989) showing the location and copies of technical drawings of Ft. Loudoun (1756).
(1 box) Last updated 08/06.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Fort Loudoun was designed and built by Col. George Washington on land granted by James Wood in 1756. The fort was named after Lord Loudoun who was commander-in-chief of the British armies. By 1757, the essential parts of the fort were built covering a half an acre. Fort Loudoun was never attacked. At the start of the Revolution the guns were removed and it later became the site of several educational institutions throughout the 1800s.
Fort Loudoun is currently buried underneath Fort Loudoun Apartments and houses on North Loudoun Street. An excavation project is under way in cooperation with the Winchester Regional Preservation Office of the Virginia Department of Historic Resources. The French and Indian War Foundation of Winchester, VA has acquired an antebellum house (419 N. Loudoun St.) built on part of the site of Fort Loudoun. For more information, go to www.frenchandindianwarfoundation.org.

Frederick County 250th Anniversary Collection, 736 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT:
This collection contains material on the organization and programs held during the 250th anniversary of the establishment of Frederick County.
(2 boxes) Last updated 11/06.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: The Frederick County Board of Supervisors appointed a 24 member commission to organize activities to commemorate the 250th anniversary of Frederick County which was celebrated in 1988.

Frederick County Association for Family and Community Education Records, 1593 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT:
The collection contains the records of Frederick County (Virginia) Association of Family and Community Education. Records include minutes, newsletters, membership roster, finance reports, and member handbooks.
(2 boxes) Last updated 02/14.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Frederick County Association for Family and Community Education was a member of the Virginia Association for Family and Community Education. The group became inactive in 2004. The Virginia Association for Family and Community Education, formerly known as Extension Homemakers, was organized in 1923. The club offered programs on safety, family issues, literacy, women’s health, and leadership skills led by experts.

Frederick County Fruit Growers Association Inc. Records, 1713 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT:
This collection contains information relating to the Frederick County Fruit Growers Association and German POW camp in Winchester, Virginia. The collection spans the years 1946-1962. Ephemera includes bills/invoices and the distribution of costs of the German POW camp along with reports relating to POW, Bahamian and White labor utilized on local Frederick County farms as well as information regarding the sale of the German POW camp on March 29, 1947. Also contained within the collection are treasury and financial reports of the POW camp, building and contact specifications/pricing, as well as the POW camp daily and weekly payroll information and forms of individual workers from 1946-1947.
3 Boxes (Last Updated 05/2016)
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: The Frederick County Fruit Growers Association Inc. helped to establish the German POW camp utilized during and after WWII. POW, Bahamian and white workers were used to operate Winchester and Frederick County apple orchards throughout 1946-1962. The German POW camp was effectively shut down and sold on March 29, 1947 thus ending the use of POW labor for Frederick County fruit growers.

Frederick County, Virginia, Government Records Collection, 682 THL/WFCHS
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection contains mainly records of municipalities of Frederick County, VA, dating from 1773. A copy of county Code of Laws and a bond book licensing ordinaries, 1804-1815, are found therein. Also included are voter registration record books for 1882-1971 for Back Creek, Gainesboro, Shawnee, Opequon, and Stonewall Magisterial districts. Additional material includes the Griffin Taylor Tax Book (1790), witness certificates, Direct Tax Fund (1893), Road book (1866-1869), Liquor Licenses (1880s), and an index to executions (1852-1860). In addition, the Board of Supervisor Minutes and List of Representatives to Frederick County Boards, Commissions, Committees, and Organizations are included from 1982 to present.
(35 boxes) Last updated 01/2015.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Frederick County divided from Orange County, Virginia, in November 1738. Frederick was named for Frederick, then Prince of Wales. The first court was held in Frederick County in 1743.

Frederick County, Virginia School System Collection, 199 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection contains Discovery Program materials, Time Capsule, teacher’s certificate (1874), and an inspection and survey report for Frederick County Schools. The collection, which covers the time period from 1874 to the present, also contains school projects, programs, articles, reports, and deeds.
(3 boxes) Last updated 09/16.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Frederick County, VA established public education in the 1870s, after a law passed by the General Assembly creating the public school system. The first superintendent was A. Magill Smith who served from 1870-71. Until the institution of public schools was created, the bulk of the residents relied on small “field schools,” with 150 in Frederick County.

Free Will Baptist Church Records, 546 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection is comprised of 9 deeds to the Free Will Baptist Church lot (1868-1919). The church was established by the Afro-American community in Winchester, Virginia. Last updated 01/19/2011.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Little is known about this church.

French and Indian War Foundation Collection, 1177 THL,
SCOPE AND CONTENT:
This collection contains a variety of items associated with information about the French and Indian War, particularly in the Shenandoah Valley, including maps, essays, and news articles. Also in the collection are the newsletters of the foundation, and several programs and flyers publicizing the events that they’ve sponsored.
(1 box) Last updated 07/10.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: The French and Indian War Foundation was founded in 1989 to focus attention on the early settlement history of American colonies with an emphases on the French and Indian War. Located in Winchester, VA, the foundation sponsors several local events and owns the house where Fort Loudoun, built by Lt. Col. George Washington, stood during the French and Indian War.

Fretwell, Jack papers, 1663 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT:
The collection includes a series of VHS tapes that record Jack Fretwell’s appearances on "Cable Talk" with Barry Lee, his work with Patsy Cline, and various performances by Fretwell with his band, including his signature act Smilin’ Jack and his Musical Horse, Nellie.
(2 boxes) Last updated 12/2010.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Jack Fretwell (1915-2006) was an entertainer, businessman, and community philanthropist in Winchester, VA. After a bout with alcoholism early in life, Fretwell responded by founding Starting Point Detox, Lord Fairfax Halfway House, and the Edgehill Recovery Retreat, which was renamed the Fretwell Center at Edgehill in 1999. He is most remembered for his contribution to musical entertainment as a tutor to Patsy Cline in her formative years. Fretwell, who performed with Cline several times on the Jimmy Dean Show, never lost his love of performing. A long-time member of the First Baptist Church of Winchester, Fretwell called members of his church and sang Happy Birthday to them. His last such call was on February 14, 2006 just one week before his death at 94.

Friends of the Handley Library Records, 146 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT: Friends of the Handley Regional Library was incorporated in 1977 as volunteers were needed to staff the existing children’s area and to offer programs to the public. After the addition of the children's room and full-time staff in 1979, the Friends continued to help plan and produce programs for children. Since then, the goals of the Friends have expanded to include attracting community resources to make the programs possible, encouraging reading and use of the library, supporting staff and coordinating programs and fundraisers like book sales, readathons, genealogy/local history roundtables, writing workshops, and film festivals.
The collection is comprised of articles of incorporation, by-laws, board member lists, correspondence, newsletters, news clippings, scrapbooks, and other material concerning the Friends of Handley Regional Library. (4 boxes) Last updated 09/02.

Friendship Fire Company Collection, 437 WFCHS
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection includes clippings, programs, documents, essays, and ledgers documenting the history of the Friendship Fire Company (Station 1) in Winchester, VA. Contents ranging from 1866-1970
(3 boxes) Last updated 01/16.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: The Friendship Fire Company is, by court decision, the oldest fire company in Winchester, VA. It was officially chartered in 1831, though there is evidence of earlier operation dated as far back as 1771. During the Civil War, the Union Army took one of the pumping engines to Star Fort and kept it for the duration of the war; when it was returned, it was in such poor condition the fire company needed to rebuild it. The company was moved to a new brick building in 1892 on East Cork Street, and remains in operation today.

Fries, Hiram Papers, 1321 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection is mainly comprised of transcripts of diaries kept by Hiram Fries from 1867 to 1889, incomplete, in Green Spring, Frederick County, VA. Also included are a map and news articles regarding the Fries family locating their farm.
(1 box) Last updated 04/04.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Hiram Fries was born on January 3, 1840 and lived his entire life in the Green Spring, VA community. He was educated at Old Stone Church and attended church at Pleasant Valley. On November 3, 1864, Hiram Fries married Elizabeth Ann Fries (first cousin) who died at age 82 in 1926. They had four children. Hiram Fries died at age 64 in 1904 and was buried in the Old Stone Church Cemetery.

Fries, Mrs. Leslie Collection, 1036 WFCHS
SCOPE AND CONTENT:
This collection is comprised of a ledger listing dividends from stock owned by patrons during a period from 1853 through 1861. Many citizens of Winchester, VA appear in these records. This ledger has been indexed.
(1 box) Last updated 1/04.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Leslie E. Fries was the owner of the ledger and is now deceased.

Frye Family Collection, 1438 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection contains records, correspondence, receipts, account books, and miscellaneous papers pertaining to the James B Frye family from the early 1800s to the early 1900s in Mountain Falls, Frederick County, VA.
(2 boxes) Last updated 10/15.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: James B. “Beany” Frye was born on August 22, 1821 near Mountain Falls, Frederick County, VA. Frye married Sarah Ann Penell on January 6, 1845 and the couple had 10 children, three of whom died as infants. Frye and his wife attended St. Johns Lutheran Church of Mountain Falls, and are buried there. Sarah died of consumption on May 7, 1881. James Frye died on August 27, 1899. Both are buried in the St John Lutheran Church Cemetery in Mountain Falls.

Funk & Ray Records, 984 WFCHS
SCOPE AND CONTENT:
This collection contains the records for the businesses Funk Furniture, Funk and Ray, and Funk and Son, all of Winchester, VA, USA. The first three boxes contain account ledgers of the Funk Furniture store for 1881 through 1929. The fourth box contains the Funk and Ray Funeral records which provide information about the deceased such as cause of death, relatives, church, birth and death dates, internment information, etc. for the years 1901 to 1923. (4 boxes) Last updated 02/07.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: The business was located at 7 South Market Street in Winchester, VA. James N. W. Funk and his son H.C.A. Funk founded Funk and Son in Winchester, VA. Little is known about the Funks, except Helen Ray Funk Brewer, H.C.A. Funk’s daughter. She became the first licensed embalmer in Winchester, having passed the State Board Examination with a high score in 1927. John Ray was born in 1841 and died in 1905. He proved to be fearless, intrepid, and daring often putting his life in danger during the Civil War. He served in the Stonewall Brigade and was wounded many times. Ray was a businessman in Winchester for 25 years; most of that time he spent in partnership with James Funk. It was said that he was the "soul of fairness and integrity." One of Winchester’s leading citizens, he served several terms in the city council and as a member of the school board. He was also a director of the Union Bank. John Ray’s first wife was Nellie Funk, the sister of his partner, and his second wife was Jennie Smith. He won the affection and esteem of all who knew him.

Funkhouser Family Papers, 1391 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT:
This collection is comprised of a poetry and recipe book kept by Mary E. Bradford, a book by Anthony Funkhouser called Accounts with My Children (1850) and a poetry and story book kept by Lorinne S. Funkhouser.
(1 box) Last updated 06/04.
HISTORICAL/BIOGRAPHICAL: John W. Grove and his son George A. Grove were wagon makers in Newtown (later Stephens City), VA. John W. Grove (1791-1873) was a life long resident of Newtown, a veteran of the War of 1812, a magistrate in Frederick County for many years, and the father of seven children. His son George A. Grove (1816-1902) continued his father’s wagon maker business, and became a leading citizen of Stephens City. Grove served as a captain in the Confederate army, and as a councilman and mayor of Stephens City.