Inventories C-D

Stewart Bell Jr. Archives
Handley Regional Library / Winchester-Frederick County Historical Society

C&P Telephone Company, 492 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT: The collection contains various pieces of information relating to the history of the C & P Telephone Company, generally known as Chesapeake & Potomac Telephone Company, in Winchester, VA. A piece written about the historical background of the company, as well as newspapers and telephone directories provide glimpses of a collective history. The collection also contains miscellaneous items including photographs, a phone book cover and a notice of a change in telephone numbers dating to 1956.
(1 box) Last Updated 11/15
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: The Winchester Telephone Company began just nine years after the development of the first operating telephone. The year was 1885 and the company’s general manager was W.C.R. Stump whose office was located on the corner of Loudon and Piccadilly Streets. Within months of establishing the company, Stump set eyes on the expansion of telephone lines to Stephens City, Middletown and Berryville. By the year 1896, the company was incorporated under laws of the General Assembly of Virginia and continued to provide telephone services until 1904. The franchise was then put up for a bid provided financial troubles and was awarded to the Bell Telephone Company. The company stabilized and continued to expand, providing long distance lines to their customers. By 1905, another telephone company, Jordan Springs, was founded and was placed in direct competition with the Bell Telephone Company. This all ended in January 1913, when the C&P Telephone Company superseded the Bell Telephone Co. and acquired the Winchester Jordan Springs Telephone Co. The company continued to grow and by 1940 they were providing for about 4,000 telephones in Winchester. The C&P Telephone Co. continued to grow and expand through 1953.

Calvary Church of the Brethren Collection, 351 THLS
SCOPE AND CONTENT: The Calvary Church of the Brethren Collection contains pictorial records and church business and membership directories for this church located in Winchester, VA.
(1 box) Last updated 03/12.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: The Calvary Church of the Brethren became a congregation in 1956 when the Salem Congregation was divided. J. Floyd Wine was elected moderator. He also served as pastor from 1950 to 1968.

Capitol Theatre Collection, 1584 THL
Scope and Content: This collection contains memorabilia, reminiscences, photographs, a movie poster, and a lobby sign that relate to the Capitol Theatre of Winchester, VA.
(1 box) Last updated 08/2016.
Biographical/Historical: The Capitol Theatre started as the Empire Theater on North Cameron Street, Winchester, VA. That theater was sold to Warner Brothers and renamed the Capitol in 1927. The entrance was moved to Rouse Avenue at that time. The Capitol was bought by F&M Bank and closed in November of 1964. The property was used for bank expansion.

Capon Supply Company Records, 404 WFCHS
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection contains the store ledger and account book belonging to Capon Supply Company of Hampshire County, Virginia, from 1908-1920. Names of both individuals and other companies with whom this business had transactions are included. Proprietors were D.B. Haines, L.C. Haines, A.C. Lovett, and A.J. Oates. (1 box) Last updated 06/12.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Capon Springs Supply Company was a general supply company that operated in the resort town of Capon Springs, West Virginia in the early 20th Century. Although the account book lists only "merchandise" with no other details, the company purchased supplies from such companies as Standard Oil, Coca-Cola, and Goodyear Rubber Company.

Carper, Anita Capper Collection, 1581 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection contains notes about the Bauer/Bower, Capper, Carper, Hollis, and Wisecraver families, and a Moravian Prayer Book, printed in 1753 with text in German. There is also information concerning the Walker criminal case of 1944.
(5 boxes) Last updated 11/2016. DIGITIZED 3/2007.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Mrs. Anita Capper Carper is a resident of Winchester, VA.

Cartmell, Thomas K. Papers, 164 WFCHS
Scope and Content: The Thomas K. Cartmell Papers contains materials concerning the Cartmell family and Frederick County, Virginia, area history. Correspondence includes Civil War letters.
(3 Boxes) Last updated 02/07.
Biographical/Historical: Thomas K. Cartmell was born in Frederick County and served as Frederick County Clerk and Provost Marshall. He wrote Shenandoah Valley Pioneers and Their Descendants, published in 1909.

Carver, John Collection, 212 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection is comprised of two scrapbooks containing photos of international events and personalities of World War II, and a signed photograph by Joe Rosenthal of the flag-raising on Mount Suribachi at the Battle of Iwo Jima. (1 box) Last updated 02/11.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: John Carver (1904-1270) was born in Frederick County, VA on May 1, 1904, and was employed by the U. S. Treasury Department until his retirement in 1967. He returned to Frederick County after his retirement, and passed away on March 10, 1970. During World War II, Carver worked as a photo-technician for the Associated Press where he became acquainted with Pulitzer Prize winning photographer Joe Rosenthal. Carver kept a scrapbook during World War II, and, thanks to his friendship with Rosenthal obtained several famous photographs of the war, including a signed copy of the raising of the American flag on Mount Suribachi during the Battle of Iwo Jima.
   Joe Rosenthal (1911-2006) was a photographer for the Associated Press during World War II, and snapped several of the most famous photographs of the war, including the Marines raising the American flag on Mount Suribachi at the Battle of Iwo Jima. He won the Pulitzer Prize for his Iwo Jima photograph. After the war, Rosenthal worked as a photographer for several newspapers. He died on August 20, 2006. Rosenthal, who became famous after the flag raising photograph always insisted, "I took the picture, the Marines took Iwo Jima."

Cather, Clark Records, 399 WFCHS
Scope and Content: Clark Cather Records contains an account book from 1841 to 1882. Part of the book contains pages with news clippings glued to them. These clippings range from poetry to home remedies. The book was used for the Cather Company of Frederick County, Virginia. Notes are made on customers, merchandise, money brought in and paid out, and money spent on servants. The collection also includes pasted news clippings and genealogical notes, such as births and marriages.
(1 box) Last updated 02/07.
Biographical/Historical: Clark Cather was the son of James Cather and Anne Howard. No birth date has been found. In 1846 he acquired a farm west of Winchester, VA and was a farmer. He had eight children with Margaret A. Lupton. He was an elder of the Loudoun Street Presbyterian Church and Round Hill Church. He died in 1861.

Cather, Willa Collection, 1580 THL
Scope and Content: This collection contains copies of Willa Cather Newsletter and Review, beginning in 1973. Also included are various magazine articles, a letter to a "Miss Deane," and a copy of "A Night at Greenway Court," a short story by Willa Cather. (2 boxes) Last updated 05/10.
Biographical/Historical: Willa Cather was born on December 7, 1873, in the village of Gore in Frederick County, VA. She was the eldest child of Charles Cather, a deputy sheriff, and Mary Virginia Boak Cather. At age seven, the family moved to Nebraska. In 1913, O Pioneers! was published and in 1917, she wrote My Antonia. By 1923, she had won the Pulitzer Prize for One of Ours. She died on April 24, 1947, and was buried in New Hampshire.

Centenary United Church of Christ Collection, 719 THL/WFCHS
Scope and Content: The collection of the Centenary United Church of Christ, Winchester, VA, contains brochures, histories, record books, yearbooks, and photomechanical reproductions of records found in the Record Book of the Church 1741-1887. Records date from 1741 to 1941 and document the church history and its occupation and destruction by Union forces. Also included is a 1750 deed transferring land for a church to the Reformed Calvinists from Thomas Lord Fairfax (1693-1781). (1 box) Last updated 06/03.
Biographical/Historical: This congregation was originally known as the Reformed Calvinists or German Reformed Church at its founding in 1741 in Kernstown, VA. They moved in 1753 to Winchester, VA building a church on land deeded by Thomas Lord Fairfax (1693-1781). In 1841, the church was renamed the Centenary Reformed Church and a new church building was erected on the present corner of South Cameron and East Cork Streets, Winchester, VA. During the American Civil War, 1861-1865, the Church was converted into a hospital and stable by Union troops whenever Union forces were in possession of Winchester. In 1934, the church became known as the Centenary Evangelical and Reformed Church and, in 1957, the church’s name became Centenary United Church of Christ.

Century Club Collection, 1453 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection includes programs, minutes of meetings, scrapbook, speeches, and a club history.
(9 boxes) Last updated 11/15.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: The Century Club was founded in 1905-1906 in Winchester, VA. Mrs. Thomas W. (Nell) Harrison had suffered a broken leg and several of her friends had assembled in her home to cheer her up. There, the idea of enriching their lives with a little culture was born. Those present being Mrs. Thomas W. Harrison, Mrs. Samuel Barton, Miss Lily Baker, Mrs. Robert Barton, and Mrs. Harry K. Russell. Another fact sparked the birth of the club. From a record by Mrs. H. Clay de Grange, Mrs. Francis de Montaigu, and Mrs. Harry K. Russell, the Reverend Dame had protested the evils of playing cards for money. There were two factions in town dubbed the “Saints” and the “Sinners.” The Saints found themselves left out of all the parties, apparently deciding to fall back on culture—thus the birth of The Century Club.

Chase, Julia Collection, 544 THL
Scope and Content: This collection is comprised of the Civil War diary kept by Julia Chase from 1861 to 1864, an index to the diary, and her obituary of 1906. There is also a copy of an article that appeared in the Winchester Evening Star, dated December 20, 1927, stating Miss Chase gave the diary to Dr. W. S. Miller, who then passed it on to his daughter, Miss Katie Miller, both of Winchester. Miss Miller donated the diary to Handley Library in 1927. (1 box) Last updated 01/19/2011
Biographical/Historical: Julia Chase was the daughter of Charles Chase. She was born in Maine in 1831 to Charles and Nancy Chase. An aunt was married to George Miller of Winchester, and her family moved to the city when she was young. She resided on North Loudoun Street in Winchester, VA during the Civil War and continued to live in Winchester until her death on March 15, 1906. Chase became a prominent member of Winchester society and a member of the Presbyterian Church. She is buried in Winchester’s Mt. Hebron Cemetery.
See also: Winchester Divided: The Civil War Diaries of Julia Chase and Laura Lee, ed. Michael G. Mahan. Mechanicsburg, PA, Stackpole Books, 2002. 975.599 Mah.

Christ Episcopal Church Records, 684 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection contains parish registers, accounts, correspondence, sermons, directories, vestry records, treasurer’s records, minutes, journals, and bound volumes of the church’s newsletter, The Angelus (1946-1976). Christ Episcopal Church is located in Winchester, VA. This is a documentation of the operation and business of the church, including membership, marriages, committee business, and baptisms. Also included is a journal of Alexander Balmain (1740-1821), Rector of Christ Church.
(5 boxes) Last updated 08/2016.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: The first parish organized in the Colony of Virginia west of the Blue Ridge, Frederick Parish was created in 1738. Two rectors, Reverend Charles Mynn Thruston (1738-1812) and Reverend Alexander Balmain (1740-1821), also played significant roles in the American Revolution, 1775-1783. The name Christ Church was given in 1827 by the Annual Council of the Diocese of Virginia. Union Generals Philip Sheridan (1831-1888) and George Armstrong Custer (1839-1876) attended the church during the American Civil War, 1861-1865, much to the disapproval of some local citizens.
Designed by Robert Mills (1781-1855), who also designed the Washington Monument, the present church building was constructed in 1828 and is the oldest church building in Winchester in continuous use for religious purposes. Located in the churchyard is the tomb of Thomas Lord Fairfax (1693-1781), Colonial Virginia’s largest property owner.

Church Women United Collection, 371 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection contains the records of the Winchester chapter of the Council of Church Women, which merged with two other similar national groups to form the Church Women United in 1941. Included in the collection are the attendance records, budgets, membership, minutes, handbooks, and information on various issues, meetings, and activities of the organization. The records cover the period covering 1923 to 2005. The local chapter of the group is not currently active (3 boxes) Last updated 10/08.
HISTORICAL/BIOGRAPHICAL: United Church Women is an interdenominational, ecumenical movement founded in 1941. The organization is represented by 70 Protestant denominations, as well as Catholics, Orthodox, and other Christian women. It has over 1,400 local and state units in both the United States and Puerto Rico. The Winchester Chapter, which met once per month, was actively involved in charitable work in the community, including such organizations as the Salvation Army. They were also affiliated with the Virginia Church Women United and representatives from Winchester were always present at the annual state convention.

Civil War Collection, 1610 THL/WFCHS
SCOPE AND CONTENT:
This collection is comprised of pamphlets, writings, historical data of the times, people, and places primarily in the southern states prior to, during, and after the Civil War of the United States.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: The Civil War was a war between states that took place from 1861 to 1865. It was fought between the Union (North) and Confederate (South) armies. The war ended with the Confederate surrender to the Union Army at Appomattox Courthouse on April 9, 1865.

Civilian Conservation Corps, 950 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection contains notes of Paul Wesley Dick on his research of the Civilian Conservation Corps/Works Projects Administration/Public Works Administration (CCC/WPA/PWA)
(1 box) Last updated 11/10.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: The CC, WPA, PWA were major components of President Roosevelt’s efforts to improve the U. S. economy. The CCC program and WPA were enacted by the U. S. Congress in the early 1930s.

Clan Ewing Collection, See Ewing Family Association Collection 1654 THL

C. L. Robinson Ice and Cold Storage Records, 1470 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection contains two ledgers, two minute books, and two folders of loose papers from the C.L. Robinson Ice and Cold Storage Corporation. One ledger is from 1928 to 1942 and the other is from 1920 to 1930. One minute book is from 1911-1922, and the other is from 1924 to 1957. The loose papers were found in both minute books. Also included within the collection are a number of miscellaneous news articles and advertisements relating to C.L. Robinson Ice and Cold Storage Corporation. There is also a schedule of tariffs for Winchester, VA and Charles Town, WV belonging to the company. Miscellaneous directories, photographs, letters and shipment information used by the C.L. Robinson Ice and Cold Storage Corporation are also included within the collection.
BIOGRAPHICAL AND HISTORICAL: Charles L. Robinson was a native of Fortville, IN and was born on January 1, 1855 to Francis H. and Rebecca Jane Robinson. C.L. Robinson developed businesses in ice and coal in Fairmont, WV. He bought the ice plant of W.H. Palmer of Winchester in 1901 to take advantage of the growing apple industry in Frederick County. He rebuilt the plant in 1902, and in 1905 erected the first apple cold storage plant. He later built another ice and cold storage plant in Charles Town, WV in 1908 and acquired the Berryville Ice and Refrigerating Co. in 1917. He died on April 1, 1922 at his residence in 118 North Market St., the same street of his first Winchester ice plant, after suffering from a long, terminal illness.

Clarke County, Virginia Collection, 1539 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT: The collection consists of three reports commissioned by the County of Clarke in Virginia. "Historical Character of the Lower Shenandoah Valley: Clarke County Archaeological Assessment" was published May 1994. "A Historical-Archaeological Survey of Mill Sites in Clarke County, Virginia" was published June 1997 and "Final Report African-American Historic Context Clarke County VA" was published in September 2002. All three reports contain illustrations. The collection also includes personal property tax records from 1836 to 1862.
(1 box) Last updated 12/13.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Clarke County was established in 1836 out of a portion of Frederick County and was named for General George Rogers Clarke, the American Revolutionary War hero of the campaign for the Northwest Territory. The town of Berryville is the county seat of Clarke County.

Clarke-Winchester-Frederick Bicentennial of the Constitution Commission Collection, 673 THL
Scope and Content: This collection is comprised of notes and records of the local (Clarke and Frederick Counties, VA and Winchester, VA, USA) committee organized for the purpose of recognizing and commemorating the 1987 Bicentennial of the U.S. Constitution.
(1 box) Last updated 10/03.
Biographical/Historical: The Clarke-Winchester-Frederick Bicentennial of the Constitution Commission was a group established by the Frederick County Board of Supervisors in 1987 for the purpose of preparing an overall plan for commemorating the Bicentennial of the U.S. Constitution. They were to develop and coordinate observances and activities to commemorate the historic events that preceded and are associated with the U.S. Constitution.

Cline, Patsy Collection, 61 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection contains news articles from the 1950s to the present; correspondence, promotional material, fan club newsletter, and articles documenting Patsy Cline’s career in country music. There are no original Patsy Cline materials in this collection. (4 boxes) Last updated 04/12.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Virginia Patterson Hensley, known to hundreds of thousands of country music fans as Patsy Cline, was born in Winchester, VA on September 8, 1932. After beginning her singing career locally she was discovered by country western singer Jimmy Dean at a Washington, D. C concert in 1955. With Dean’s support Cline traveled to Nashville, TN and signed a recording contract with Four Star Records and rose to become one of the most celebrated country western singers of the 1950s and early 1960s. She died, along with two other Country music stars and her agent Randy Hughes, in a plane crash near Camden, TN on March 3, 1963. She is buried at Shenandoah Memorial Park, Frederick County, VA.

Coalition for Racial Unity Records Collection, 1368 THL
Scope and Content: This collection is comprised of programs, by-laws, correspondence, membership, minutes, newsletters, articles, and other materials concerning the Coalition for Racial Unity (CRU).
(3 boxes) Last updated 012/09.
Biographical/Historical: The Coalition for Racial Unity was started in the fall of 1990 with the purpose of promoting understanding and bettering interracial relationships. The group plans events to improve racial unity in the Winchester-Frederick County community.

Coates, Loretta Moten and Earl H. Coates Jr. Collection, 1706 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection contains a variety of items concerning the family of Loretta Moten Coates and Earl H. Coates Jr., the early years of Douglas School of Winchester, VA and its principal Powell W. Gibson, and other allied families.(1 box, last updated 5/11)
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Loretta Moten Coates is the daughter of Blanche Gibson Moten and Walker Moten and the granddaughter of Powell W. Gibson, principal of Douglas School, Winchester, VA from 1915-1940. She graduated from Douglas School in 1956, and worked as a secretary at the school until the school was closed in 1966. Earl H. Coates Jr. was born in New Jersey before moving to Winchester. He and his wife are active members of Mount Carmel Baptist Church in Winchester, VA.

Cochran, Carrie A. Clevenger Diary Collection, 1576 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection contains a diary by Carrie A. Clevenger Cochran. There are two volumes covering 1935 and 1938.
(1 box) Last updated 02/14.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Carrie A Clevenger Cochran was born in 1872 and died in 1950. She is buried in Hopewell Cemetery, Frederick County, VA.

Cochran, Charles Collection, 459 WFCHS
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection contains genealogical material of families of Winchester and Frederick County, VA, and photographs compiled by Charles Cochran. This is comprised chiefly of genealogies, photoprints, tintypes, and albumen prints relating to the Bageant, Clark, Clowser, Cochran, Cooper, Hottel, Keller, Lauck, McFarland, Milhorn, Rosenberger, and Yeakley families. Also included are six papers written by Shenandoah University (Winchester, VA) professor Warren Hofstra relating to colonial history and the American Civil War, 1861-1865, in Winchester (VA) and the Shenandoah River Valley (VA and WV).
(6 boxes) Last updated 04/16. Digitized 03/07.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Charles Henry Allen Cochran (1925-1990), son of Walter Smith Cochran (1886-1973) and Gertie Pearl McFarland (1884-1957), was born in Frederick County, VA. A 1943 graduate of Handley High School (Winchester, VA), he served in the United States Navy during World War II, 1939-1945. He was vice president of marketing for Sechran Electronics, Inc. of Lititz, PA.

Cochran, J. ClaytonJr. Collection, 1175 WFCHS
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection contains WWII medals awarded to J. Clayton Cochran, Jr. and a WWI medal awarded to his father, John Clayton Cochran. There is also a fishing license received in 1965.
(1 box) Last updated 11/16
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: J. Clayton Cochran, Jr. was a native of Winchester, VA. Mr. Cochran graduated from Handley High School in 1942 and soon thereafter enlisted in the Navy Air Force Cadet Program and became a Navy Fighter Pilot during World War II. He served in the Pacific Theatre for the duration of the war. Cochran then returned to Winchester and for a short time attended Shepard College. He owned and operated Winchester Smoke Shop for many years and retired in 1975.

Mr. Cochran was a major supporter of the archives, having arranged for the donation of over 1,000 photographs of veterans, businesses, houses and events of the Winchester-Frederick County community. He provided key pieces of detail about photos and aided in research done on the material as well. Mr. Cochran was awarded the Louis Baker Award in 2001 for his diligent service to the archives. He died August 12, 2012 and left a bequest to the Archives Department of the Handley Regional Library. 

Cochran, John T. Records, 29 WFCHS
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection consists of account books, memo books with some diary entries and home health remedies. It also includes a leather wallet, miscellaneous papers and two ledgers, one from Round Hill School and one from Round Hill Academy.
(1 box) Last updated 06/12)
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: John T. Cochran, who was born on July 24, 1850 in Frederick County,, VA. He was the son of William and Hannah Stokes Cochran, and was married to Rebecca Tevalt. After working on his father’s farm in Frederick County for 50 years, he moved to Winchester in 1912.A lifelong member of Grace Lutheran Church in Winchester. He died at the age of 94 on December 22, 1944 and is buried in Mount Hebron Cemetery, Winchester, VA.

Cold War Collection, 1745 WFCHS
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection contains written experiences of individual soldiers operating in the U.S. military during the Cold War. Also contained is information on the F16 Combat Fighter and a DVD on the SAC Reflex in the UK during and following WWII.
(1 box) Last Updated 08/2016.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: The Cold War was a period of great hostility between the United States and the Soviet Union immediately following the conclusion of the Second World War and ultimately ending with the destruction of the Berlin Wall. The Cold War included hostility and subtle aggressive acts between the governments of both the US and USSR. The objective of the US for much of the war was the prevention of the spread of communism to any country, although specifically, any Western country still economically and politically vulnerable as a result of WWII. The USSR sought to spread communism and end the US powered system of capitalism that inserted itself into much of Europe after the war. The Cold War was especially tense as both countries had in their possession nuclear weapons and a strong intent on using them if the situation required it. 

Colt, Margaretta Barton Collection, 1472 THL
Scope and Content: This collection is comprised of the research material, used by Margaretta Barton Colt for her book, Defend the Valley. Items in the collection contain material about the soldiers and the family members featured in the book and include photocopies of service records from the U.S. National Archives, genealogical data, research notes, and correspondence. Also included is the original manuscript of Defend the Valley, and writing and research material from Harris S. Colt, Margaretta’s husband.
(9 boxes) Last updated 2/2012.
Biographical/Historical: Margaretta Barton Colt was the co-proprietor of The Military Bookman in New York City from 1976 - 2003. She also worked as a researcher and picture editor for Time, Inc. and American Heritage.

Company K, 5th Virginia Infantry—Stonewall Brigade, Reenactment Unit Papers, 1471 THL
Scope and Content: This collection contains newsletters, clippings, programs, correspondence, financial information, and other materials concerning Co. K, 5th VA Infantry—Stonewall Brigade Reenactment Unit.
(2 boxes) Last updated 07/04.
Biographical/Historical: Company K. 5th Virginia Infantry was re-activated in Winchester in August 1959. Among those members were several descendants of men who served in the original unit. The group participated in reenactments and other commemorative events.

Conrad, Daniel Family Papers, 1186 THL/WFCHS
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection is comprised of Conrad genealogical materials and personal papers of Daniel Conrad, Robert Y. Conrad, Sr., Daniel B. Conrad, Powell Conrad, and Robert V. Conrad, Jr., all of Winchester, VA.
(8 boxes) Last updated 05/2015. DIGITIZED 04/07.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Dr. Daniel Conrad was born in Winchester, VA on October 6, 1771 to Frederick and Maria C. Ley Conrad. He attended medical schools in Edinburgh and London. Upon his return to Winchester, he developed an enormous practice. Daniel Conrad married Rebecca Holmes, daughter of Col. Joseph Holmes, and had two sons, David Holmes and Robert Young Conrad. Conrad built “Conrad House” on N. Cameron Street and died there on September 21, 1806. He was buried in the Reformed Church graveyard. The following is a Conrad family tree.

Conrad, Holmes Collection, 893 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection is comprised of legal papers of Mr. Holmes Conrad, which are mainly copies of litigation between the states of Virginia and West Virginia before the U.S. Supreme Court. The remainder of the files consists of copies of cases in which Mr. Conrad participates as an attorney before the VA Supreme Court and lower courts of VA. The time period is from the late 1860s through the early 1900s.
(6 boxes) Last updated 12/15.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Major Holmes Conrad was born in Winchester, VA, USA on January 31, 1840 to Robert Young Conrad and Elizabeth Whiting Powell. He attended Winchester Academy, Virginia Military Institute (VMI), and University of VA. During the Civil War, he rose from a private to a major and assistant inspector general of Rosser’s Cavalry Division. After the war, he studied law in his father’s law office and was admitted to the bar in 1866.
He was elected to the VA House of Delegates from Winchester and Frederick County in 1881-82. He created a thriving law practice in Washington, DC and handled several cases in the federal courts. In 1893, he was appointed Assistant Attorney General of the U.S., and in 1895 he became Solicitor General. He continued to be involved in cases before the Supreme Court for over 20 years despite presidential administration changes. In 1901, he served on the law faculty of Georgetown University as a lecturer. He was also the first president of the Handley Board of Trustees and continued in that capacity until his death. Holmes Conrad was married twice and had seven children. After his death on September 4, 1915, he was buried in Mt. Hebron Cemetery, Winchester, VA.

Conrad, John Collection, 635 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT: The account book of John Conrad, dated 1787-1794, records the business transactions of John Conrad’s store. (1 box) Last updated 02/14.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: John Conrad, the second son of Frederick Conrad and Maria Clara Ley Conrad, was a Winchester merchant. He was married to Elizabeth "Betsy" Rutherford, the daughter of Robert Rutherford of Jefferson County, VA. The couple were married in Winchester on June 1, 1786. Conrad’s birthday, date of death, and burial are unknown.

Conrad & Tucker Law Firm Records, 401 WFCHS
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection is comprised of two-day books (1848, 1854-59), an account book (1830s), and miscellaneous papers (1830-1860) belonging to the Conrad and Tucker law firm of Winchester, Virginia. (1 box) Last updated 02/14.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Robert Y. Conrad (1805-1875) was one of Winchester’s most prominent lawyers and politicians during the Civil War ear. Conrad represented Frederick County at the Virginia secession convention in 1861, and was one of the most outspoken leaders for the Confederacy in Winchester during the war. Elected to Congress from Frederick County after the war, the Reconstruction government never allowed him to serve. He is buried in Mount Hebron Cemetery, Winchester, Virginia.
John Randolph Tucker (1823-1897) was born in Winchester, Virginia, the son of Judge Henry St. George Tucker. Shortly after graduating from University of Virginia law he became law partners with Robert Y. Conrad. In 1857, Randolph left the law firm to serve as the Attorney General of Virginia. He served in that capacity throughout the Civil War, and was Confederate President Jefferson Davis’ lawyer after his capture. Tucker also served in the U.S Congress and was a professor at Washington and Lee University in Lexington, VA after the war. He is buried in Mount Hebron Cemetery, Winchester, Virginia.

Cookbook Recipes Collection, 1573 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection contains cookbook recipes from individuals and non-profit organizations in the Winchester-Frederick County, Virginia area. They range from recipes of Annie Baker from 1898 to present day publications sold as fund raising activities.
(2 Boxes) Last updated 12/15.

Cooke, John Esten Collection, 1081 THL
Scope and Content: This collection contains material written by author John Esten Cooke, entitled "Historic Houses on the Shenandoah," "Memoirs of Generals Lee, Gates, Stephen, and Darke," and "Professor Pressensee, Materialist and Inventor."
(1 box) Last updated 01/06.
Biographical/Historical: Quarles, Garland R. Some Worthy Lives. Winchester, VA: Winchester- Frederick County Historical Society, 1988.
Bibliography: Born in 1830, John Esten Cooke was one of 13 children. At his father’s urging, he studied and practiced law briefly in Richmond. He abandoned that in 1854 after his father’s death, and almost immediately became a successful novelist and short story writer authoring 31 books and almost 200 published articles and poems. He was a Confederate soldier on the staff of Jeb Stuart. At the General’s death in 1864, he became Inspector General of the Horse Artillery. In 1867, Cooke married Frances Page and settled down three miles north of Boyce, VA to become a prosperous farmer and gardener. He had three children. He died in 1886 and was buried in Old Chapel Cemetery.

Cooper, Allison Douglas Collection, 1507 WFCHS
Scope and Content: This collection contains a scrapbook of photographs kept by Alison Douglas Cooper (Mrs. Eugene Cooper). Included are photos of Boy Scout Camp in 1919 and Class Day at Ft. Loudoun Seminary, June 2, 1919.
(1 box) Last updated 04/07.
Biographical/Historical: Alison Douglas was born on April 16, 1894, in East Orange, NJ. She moved to Winchester, VA in 1915 to become a kindergarten teacher at Ft. Loudoun Seminary. She married Eugene Bestor Cooper and had four children. Mrs. Cooper’s many activities and accomplishments included her active role in the organization of the first Winchester Girl Scout troop. Mr. Cooper preceded her in death. She died on August 21, 1975, and is buried at Mt. Hebron Cemetery in Winchester, VA.

Cooper/Davis Ledger, 595 THL
Scope and Content: This collection contains a ledger and an index compiled by Linda Whitmer. The ledger was used by at least two different people: John W. Cooper of Pughtown, VA and David Davis for the estate account of Gabriel H. Davis. Several pages are missing, as the first page number is 44. The dates of use by John W. Cooper are from 1808 to 1882 and David Davis from 1838 to 1851. 
(1 box) Last updated 02/07.
Biographical/Historical: No definite information was found.

Copenhaver, David G. "Sammy" Collection, 37 THL/WFCHS
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection contains genealogical material pertaining to the Copenhaver family of the lower Shenandoah Valley. Additionally, there is material pertaining to the Civil War, including Shenandoah Valley Political Prisoners, Courthouse Hospital Muster Roll of employees, March 1862, and soldier military records and vouchers. The receipts for equipment and supplies taken by the Confederates from Harpers Ferry, VA in 1861, which were compiled by Sammy Copenhaver from the Library of Virginia, are also part of this collection. (1 box) Last updated 07/11.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: David G. "Sammy" Copenhaver was a life-long resident of Clarke County, VA. He conducted extensive genealogical research on his family lines. He died on June 9, 2011.

Copenhaver, Judith McVicar Collection, 1608 # THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT: The collection contains genealogical information on the Kinzel and Miller families, as well as new clippings on Charles B. Rouss.
(1 box) Last updated 10/15.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Judith McVicar Copenhaver is researching several family lines. She resides in Winchester.

Copenhaver, Mary Dispanet Collection, 1318 WFCHS
Scope and Content: This collection contains the Brown Family Bible, 1770. Family information covers 1762-1866. The bible is printed in German.
(1 box) Last updated 05/04.
Biographical/Historical: Mary Dispanet Copenhaver and her daughter, Mary C. Peer, donated the bible in 1992.

Cornwell, Clarke L. Collection, 1572 THL
Scope and Content: This collection contains a family Bible from the Gardiner family. Genealogy information is written between the Old and New Testaments. Three leaves photocopied from another bible’s pages contain Cornwell family information.
(1 box) Last updated 09/04.
Biographical/Historical: The Gardiner and Cornwell families lived in Frederick County, VA. The marriages, births, and deaths all took place during the 19th Century.

Council on Religious Education Records, Frederick County, VA Collection, 1452 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection is comprised of correspondence, financial reports, program summaries, a ledger book (1916-1943) and other miscellaneous papers concerning the Council of Religious Education of Frederick County, VA. The collection also contains information and miscellaneous items concerning the Opequon District and their annual Sunday school convention (1921-1967).
(3 boxes and last updated 12/15)
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: The Council of Religious Education was a group devoted to improving and furthering religious education in Frederick County, VA. They held annual conventions at various churches and also held smaller educational programs.

Crawford, Louisa Collection, 424 WFCHS
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection contains an account book (1881-1890), the journal of John Peyton Clark (1862), diary of Frank B. Jones (1862), speeches of Daniel Webster (1851), and other Jones family materials (1724 – 1903).
(1 box) Last updated 1/2011.
    Major Frank B. Jones was third in command of the Second Virginia Infantry Regiment of the Stonewall Brigade. Jones’ root ran deep in the Shenandoah Valley. He was the great-grandson of Gabriel Jones, Thomas Lord Fairfax’s lawyer. He married Susan Clark in 1853, and the two lived at Carysbrook, a farm located between Winchester and Stephens City of the Valley Turnpike. His diary contains a rather detailed account of his regiment’s activities (including the Battle of Kernstown) in the Northern Shenandoah Valley in 1862. Being from a prominent Frederick County family, his diary contains numerous references to local people and places. This collection contains an annotated transcript and typescript of a diary kept by Major Frank B. Jones, Confederate States of America (C.S.A.), covering March – June 1862.
    John Peyton Clark (1827-1878 was the brother of Susan Clark Jones, the wife of Major Frank B. Jones. Peyton Clark, as he was known to friends, was the last principal of the Winchester Academy, the oldest school in Winchester’s history. The academy, which opened in 1786, was used as a hospital during the Civil War and never reopened. Clark built Buffalo Marsh near Stephens City just prior to the war, and lived there after 1865. At the house he operated a school for boys with the help of his widowed sister, Susan Jones. When the school closed, Clark accepted a teaching job in Rockville, Maryland where he died in 1878. He is buried in the Clark family plot in Mount Hebron Cemetery, Winchester, VA. This collection includes the journal kept by John Peyton Clark from March 12 – September 1, 1862, and an annotated transcript and typescript of the journal.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Louisa Morrow Crawford was born on January 21, 1894 in Frederick County to C. Gratton and Louisa Peyton Jones Crawford. She attended Fort Loudoun Seminary, the Episcopal Female Institute, and the Hannah Moore Academy in Baltimore, Maryland. She was a life member of the Christ Episcopal Church. Louisa M. Crawford died on January 20, 1986.

Crosby, Nancy Larrick Collection47 WFCHS/THL (1920-1998)
SCOPE/CONTENT: The collection contains news articles, diplomas, correspondence, samples of children’s books from all over the world, and certificates of achievement presented to Dr. Nancy Larrick Crosby from the late 1930’s to the early 2000’s. These documents chronicle the career of the well known college professor and advocate of children’s literature.
(6 boxes) last updated 06/12)
BIOGRAPHICAL: Nancy Larrick Crosby, a Winchester native born in 1910, was a Professor of Education at Lehigh University, an advocate of children’s literature, a retired public school teacher, and a 1925 graduate of Handley High School. She was also the author of many articles on children’s literature, and the recipient of many awards for her children’s books. She died on November 14, 2004 and is buried in Mount Hebron Cemetery, Winchester, VA.

Cross, Robert and Mary Cook Collection, 565 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection contains genealogical material on the Cook, Cross, and Davis families.
(1 box and last date updated 12/15)
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Robert and Mary Cross are long- time residents of Winchester, VA

Crowther, James E. Papers, 1534 WFCHS

Scope and Content: This collection contains copies of letters written by Colonel James E. Crowther during his service in the 110th Infantry, Pennsylvania Volunteers during the American Civil War. The letters are dated from May 1861 to April 1863. His letters that are dated March and April 1862 are from Winchester, VA.
(1 box) Last updated 09/04.
Biographical/Historical: The 110th Infantry was organized at Camp Curtin, Harrisburg, PA, August 19, 1861. The unit fought Stonewall Jackson’s Confederates at the Battle of Kernstown on March 23, 1862. The unit was stationed on guard duty in Winchester for April 1862. The unit mustered out on June 28, 1865.

Davis Family Bible, 1609 THL
Scope and Content: This collection contains the Davis Family Bible. There are several pages of genealogical material from notes in the collection folder relating to James Lyn Davis and his wife Elizabeth Hammer Davis and their descendants. Elizabeth Davis and at least four of her grandchildren are buried in Berryville, VA. The collection also contains genealogical material on James Lyn Davis and his descendents beginning in 1838. (1 box) Last updated 01/09.
Biographical/Historical: The Bible was donated by Richard Leavitt of Texas. The genealogy material has been photographed for use by researchers.

Davis, Isabel H. Collection, 34 THL
Scope and Content: The Isabel H. Davis Collection is sorted into five folders, which contain a genealogy of the Larrick/Guyer family, a charter for the Mount Carmel Cemetery in Middletown, VA with a listing of lot owners and a listing of those buried in the Larrick Family Graveyard. The fifth folder contains photocopies of the named items.
(1 box) Last updated 02/06.
Biographical/Historical: Isabel H. Davis was born in 1902 in Middletown, VA, and was the daughter of Charles Hammack and Cora Larrick. She married James Vaughn Davis and had two children. During her life she was the secretary to the director of Illustration of National Geographic Magazine for 13 years, a member of multiple local organizations, the secretary of Mount Carmel Cemetery Association in Middletown, VA, and the author of "Long Glance Back," a history of the Middletown Agriculture High School. Isabel Davis died in January 1988 and was buried in Mount Carmel Cemetery, Middletown, VA.

Davis, James A. Collection 1730 WFCHS
SCOPE AND CONTENT: The information and research within this collection regards the 51st Virginia Infantry, 1861-1865. The collection also includes a large amount of Civil War publications and notes on the topic. All information was either utilized or produced by Davis for a thesis completed in 1967. Also included within the collection is the finished thesis produced by James A. Davis while attending Virginia Tech.
(2 boxes and last updated 11/15)
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: James A. Davis donated the primary and secondary research of this collection as it was his own research for a thesis, “The 51st Regiment, Virginia Volunteers, 1861 – 1865” completed at Virginia Tech in 1967.
     In 1984, his book, 51st Virginia Infantry was published H. E. Howard. (973.7445 D29)
    In 1982, Dr. Davis accepted the position of president of Shenandoah College. The most prominent change to Shenandoah that Davis is responsible for is the development of the college into a university, offering sixty different areas of study to a much larger student body. Prior to accepting the position at Shenandoah, Davis was dean of Ferrum College.

Davis, June Gaskins Collection, 1493 THL
Scope and Content: This collection contains news clippings, photographs, and miscellaneous material, primarily relating to Frederick Douglas High School, Winchester, VA. Also included are brief biographical sketches of prominent African-American people in the Winchester-Frederick County, VA area.
(9 boxes) Last updated 11/13
Biographical/Historical: June C. Gaskins Davis was born in Winchester, VA to Kirk N. Gaskins, Sr. and Ella V. Finley Gaskins. She was sister to Kirk N. Gaskins, Jr. (1931-2006), Beverly P. Gaskins (1936-1996), Joyce "Joy" Jordan, and Dr. Andrew T.W. Gaskins. Her father became a teacher at Douglas School in 1936, and was its principal from 1940 to 1966. He closed Douglas High School in 1966 when desegregation was ordered of the public school systems. June previously worked in the federal government and private industry before working for Wall Street for a decade, and retired from Merrill Lynch, Pierce, Fenner & Smith in 1989 as Assistant Vice President, Financial Consultant. She has a Master of Business Administration, MBA, Trinity College, Bachelor of Science, Smith School of Business, University of Maryland, and a Certificate of Accomplishment from USDA Graduate School.
Most of the people involved in this collection are from the 20th and 21st Centuries.

Denkler, Ann Collection, 1586 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection contains essays written by students of Dr. Ann Denkler’s classes, Shenandoah University, Winchester, Virginia. The typescript essays focus on women’s history in the lower Shenandoah Valley.
(1 box) Last updated 07/12.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Dr. Ann Denkler is a professor of history at Shenandoah University, Winchester. VA. She received her doctorate from the University of Maryland in American Studies.

Dietz, Sue Collection 45 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT: The collection contains family notes and materials relating to the Combs, Dietz, Fulk, Miller, Momenthy, Rinker and Shuler families. The materials include death certificates, family bibles, diaries, etc. of various family members dating from 1830-1997. This collection includes an incomplete but important glimpse into the genealogies of local families.
(1 box and last updated 10/15)
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Sue Dietz is a genealogist and history enthusiast currently living in Florida.

Dixon, Armstead Family Collection, 942 THL
Scope and Content: This collection contains Bible records and correspondence of the Afro-American family of Armstead Dixon.
(1 box) Last updated 11/03.
Biographical/Historical: Armstead Dixon was from Shenandoah Valley, Virginia, USA. On Nov. 24, 1864, he married Sidney Ann Brandon of Mississippi. Dixon died on July 25, 1907.

Douglas Alumni Association Collection, 555 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection is comprised of testimonies, articles, biographies, booklets, and other material concerning the alumni of Douglas School in Winchester, VA. (6 boxes) Last updated 02/16.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: The Douglas School was established May 31, 1875, through an agreement between John Linn, trustee for the Old School Congregational Baptist Church and the Winchester School Board. The Old School Church was used for the school, and classes first met in 1878. The school was first called Winchester Colored School and in 1916 the name was changed to the Douglas School. Due to increasing growth of the student body, the school moved its 150 students and 6 teachers to a new Winchester location on North Kent Street in 1927. From 1940 to the 1960s, the building was expanded to accommodate the increasing number of students. With integration, Douglas School closed in 1966. The building now serves as the Douglas Community Center. 

Drury, Anne L. Collection, 1758 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection contains a WWI soldier’s record for William A. Locke. The item contains a record of service along with photographs and images of the war. Also contained within the collection is a certificate of the Virginia Real Estate Commission for the real estate broker license of Louie Randolph Yancey.(OVERSIZE) Last Updated 08/2016
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Anne L. Drury is a native of Winchester, Virginia. William A. Locke was a paternal grandfather and Louie R. Yancey was her step-father. Yancey also owned and operated Yancey’s Real Estate on Braddock Street until his death.

Duffey, Maurice J. Collection, 1282 WFCHS
Scope and Content: This collection is comprised of items collected by Maurice J. Duffey. These items include a mail order catalog (1922), school summary, State Summer Institute booklet (1909), and a souvenir Booklet from Winchester Fire Department (1897).
(1 box) Last updated 04/04.
Biographical/Historical: Maurice J. Duffey was born on November 19, 1924 in Winchester, VA to Hugh Sisson and Vera Lynch Duffey. He was a professor emeritus at Lord Fairfax Community College in Middletown, VA. He had received his B.A. from the University of Virginia in 1948 and his M.B.A. from the University of Pennsylvania. He served as a lieutenant in the U.S. Navy during World War II and the Korean War. On February 6, 1954, he married Lillian Stuessy in Norfolk, VA and had two daughters. He died on April 6, 1991 and was buried in Mt. Hebron Cemetery.

Duncan, Richard R. Collection, 1416 THL
SCOPE AND CONTENT: The collection contains the research material used by author Richard R. Duncan for his book, Beleaguered Winchester, A Virginia Community at War, 1861-186. The materials include both secondary and primary sources on a variety of issues relating to the Frederick County town during the Civil War.
(9 boxes) Last updated 04/09.
BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Professor Richard R. Duncan is professor emeritus of history at Georgetown University in Washington, D.C. A native of Winchester, VA, Duncan also wrote, Lee’s Endangered Left: The Civil War in Western Virginia and Spring of 1864. He currently resides in Alexandria, VA.

Dunn, Harry Collection, 129 WFCHS
Harry Dunn is a resident of Winchester. This collection is comprised of two scrapbooks with scenes of Winchester during 1900 to 1920s. (1 box) Last updated 09/02.

Durell, Edward Papers, 518 THL
NOTE: Collection moved to offsite storage (8/29/2016)
SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection consists of correspondence between George Edward Durell and Congressman J. Kenneth Robinson between 1971 and 1984. Mr. Durell was very concerned about the United States government and the gold standard.
(3 boxes) Last updated 08/16.
HISTORICAL/BIOGRAPHICAL: George Edward Durell Sr. was born on December 11, 1894 in Harriman, Tennessee, the son of George B. and Genevieve Hill Durell. A veteran of World War I, he was the founder of the George Edward Durell Foundation and the owner and chairman of Union Fork and How Company of Columbus, Ohio. He was married to Ruth Robinson. He lived in Clarke County, Virginia. Durell died on April 1, 1988 at the age of 93.