Winchester Virginia Bicentennial Commission Collection

Stewart Bell Jr. Archives Room
Handley Regional Library / Winchester-Frederick County Historical Society

Winchester Virginia Bicentennial Commission Collection, 767 WFCHS

Scope and Content: This collection contains materials pertaining to the 1752-1952 bicentennial celebration of Winchester, VA in 1952. Included are programs, brochures, names of participants, and names of people who had been residents of the Winchester area for 50 to 70 years.
(1 box) Last updated 11/06.

Biographical/Historical: The settlement that became Winchester, VA was officially recognized and chartered in 1752 by the House of Burgesses in the Virginia legislature. The name was changed from Fredericktown to Winchester through the influence of James Wood.

Cite As: Winchester Virginia Bicentennial Commission Collection, 767 WFCHS, Stewart Bell Jr. Archives, Handley Regional Library, Winchester, VA.

Organization:

Box 1

Brochures, programs, tickets, 5 items, printed

Correspondence and insignia, 2 leaves, 2 envelopes, printed; 4 leaves, typescript (photocopy)

Fifty Years Club
List of members, 2 leaves, typescript/manuscript
Sample certificates, 3 leaves, printed/manuscript
Notes and correspondence from members
4 postcards, 2 pages, 1 leaf, manuscript
2 leaves, typescript

Marshall, George C. -- speech, 9 leaves, typescript (copy)

News Articles—unnumbered, printed (photocopy)

Publicity and souvenirs, 5 items, printed

Seventy Years Club, 1 leaf, typescript/manuscript

Stationery and envelopes, 11 leaves, 14 envelopes, printed

Winchester Bicentennial Commission -- members and suggested activities, 19 leaves, typescript (photocopy) (4 with manuscript additions); 1 envelope, typescript