South End Fire Company Records

Stewart Bell Jr. Archives Room
Handley Regional Library/
Winchester-Frederick County Historical Society

1284 THL/WFCHS

SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection includes news clipping, photographs, programs, and records regarding the history, buildings, and business of the South End Fire Company. Also included are reports of fires covered, equipment, membership, and two photogravures, which were used from printing photographs.
(6 box) Last updated 04/16.

BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: The South End Fire Company was called the South End Hose Company. The first building, completed and occupied on Sept 27, 1897, was enlarged in 1907. Until 1922 hoses were pulled by hand but in March of that year a combination chemical and hose apparatus was purchased. A new structure replaced the small, 2-room building in 1930. On August 26, 1949, the company was officially incorporated. A new building on Monmouth Street was dedicated on April 12, 1959.

CITE AS: South End Fire Company Records, 1284 THL/WFCHS, Stewart Bell Jr. Archives, Handley Regional Library, Winchester, VA, USA.

BOX 1

News articles—South End Fire Company—unnumbered leaves, printed (photocopy)

Anniversary banquet programs, 1945, 1982, 1983, 1986, 2 leaves, 3 pages, 3 3-page booklets, printed; 2 pages, printed (photocopy)

Apple Blossom Princess ribbon banner, no date, 1 ribbon, painted

Bank account check stub book, 1950-1952, 1 item, manuscript on printed form

Bank statements and checks - Drum and Bugle Corps account, 1951, 1952, 1955, 4 leaves, printed; 1 page, manuscript; 28 pages, manuscript on printed form; 1 bound book

Bank statements and checks - special account, 1949, and house account, 1955, 4 leaves, printed; 51 checks, manuscript on printed form

Bills, 1922-1980 (incomplete), 5 leaves, manuscript on printed form; 4 leaves, typescript/manuscript on printed form

Bingo reports, 1949 and 1950, 1 leaf, typescript; 65 leaves, manuscript on printed form

Building and equipment inventories, 1957 and 1961, 5 leaves, typescript (copy)

Building permit, 1957, 2 leaves, typescript; 3 leaves, manuscript on printed form

By-laws, no date, 2 leaves, typescript; 1 leaf, 2 pages, printed

Correspondence, 1920-1962 (incomplete), 1 leaf, manuscript; 7 leaves, typescript (copy)

Dedication of new engine house, April 12, 1959, booklet, 2 items, 4 pages, printed

BOX 2

Equipment, 5 leaves, manuscript on printed form; 10 leaves, 1 page, typescript; 6 pages, typescript on printed form; 4 pages, typescript on printed form (copy); 1 leaf, 3 brochures, printed; envelope, printed/manuscript

Fire alarm reports, 1931-1942, 1962-1975, 156 leaves, manuscript on printed form; 3 leaves, typescript; 5 leaves, typescript (copy)

Historical Sketch – South End Fire Company by Harold C. March (for 50th anniversary), November 11, 1945, 5 pages, printed

History - South End Fire Company, 1945, 1 page, typescript (copy)

History – South End Fire Company—[accessed] May 18, 2015; 2 leaves, printed, no author, no date of original publication

History - Winchester fire companies, and 1897 souvenir with rolls and photographs, 1 leaf, 19 pages, 3 booklets, printed

Land survey and plat, 1965, 2 copies, printed/typescript

Membership, 16 leaves, 1 page, printed

Memorial resolutions and services, 1941, 1958, 1962, 1979, 4 leaves, typescript (copy); 3 leaves, printed

Minutes and Treasurer's reports, 9 pages, manuscript; 7 leaves, 1 page, typescript

1929

1940

1936

1946 (incomplete)

1937

 

New fire truck dedication, November 27-28, 1962, 4 leaves, 3 pages, printed; 6 booklets, 4 pages, printed; 1 booklet, 4 pages, printed/manuscript

Reports, 2 pages, manuscript; 4 pages, typescript; 4 leaves, typescript (copy); 1 booklet, printed President's report, 1922, 1923 Fire responses, 1932, 1960, 1963, 1965

Schedules, 2 leaves, typescript (copy); 3 leaves, manuscript; 1 leaf, manuscript on printed form

1954

 

1956

1959

1958

1061

Winchester City Code for Fire Departments, 1947, 14 leaves, typescript (copy)

BOX 3 News Clippings

BOX 4 Photographs

BOX 5 Artifacts  

Printers Block – Photogravures used for printing photographs, 2 items 

Buttons – 3 large and 17 small Gold Buttons, and 2 large and 4 small Silver Buttons 

Badges – 1 Captains Badge and 1 Fourth Lieutenants Badge 

BOX 6 Applications 

Membership Applications – 1923-1959 

OVERSIZED   MAP CASE 1 DRAWER 6

South End Engine House drawings of proposed building, 1930, 4 items manuscript
Application for building permit, March 27, 1930, manuscript on typescript form, laminated.