St. John's Lutheran Church, 1617 THL

SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection includes histories, clippings, ledgers, rolls, and photo prints documenting the history of St. John's Lutheran Church and its early connection to the Gravel Springs pastorate.
(1 box) Last updated 10/15.

BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: The congregation was established in 1796, though some evidence indicates that a Lutheran congregation met on the present church site long before that date. Christian Streit (1749-1812) was an early pastor. The church was formerly known as the Old Furnace Church, Furnace Church, Taylor Furnace Church, and Valley Taylor Furnace Church. In 1851, the congregation joined with Bethel, Gravel Springs, and St. James congregations to form the Gravel Springs Lutheran Parish.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: Carr, Clay B. and Mildred L., Historical Sketches of Places of Worship, Winchester and Frederick County, Virginia, Winchester, VA: Farmers and Merchants National Bank, 1988, pg. 31

CITE AS: St. John’s Lutheran Church, 1617 THL, Stewart Bell Jr. Archives, Handley Regional Library, Winchester, VA, USA.

ORGANIZATION:

BOX 1

News Articles – unnumbered, printed (photocopy)

Brochures/Leaflets – 2 items, printed

Church Directories – 4 items, printed

1984

1987

1996

2007

Church Book or Ecclesiastical Recorder for the Evangelical Lutheran Congregation of the Valley Old Furnace, 1825, 110 leaves, manuscript (photocopy)