Winchester Regional Airport Collection, 1442 THL

Scope and Content: This collection is comprised of environmental assessment reports and an article about the history of Winchester airports.

(3 boxes) Last updated 05/15.

Biographical/Historical: Winchester’s first airport was Bowles Field, which was established in 1907. It consisted of a “moved” field, small hanger, and a farmhouse. The exact location of this field is unknown. It is believed that Bowles Field was absorbed by Admiral Byrd Field, which opened January 21, 1931. The Byrd Field is considered to be Winchester’s first established airport and was located south and adjacent to U.S. Rt. 50 near the intersection of U.S. Rt. 522. The airport was reorganized and expanded and became Winchester Municipal Airport on December 2, 1937. A larger tract of land had been leased to accommodate larger aircraft and was officially recognized as a licensed commercial airport by the Commonwealth of Virginia.

Bibliography: “Winchester’s Three Airports, a Brief History,” by Robert Noyer, Virginia Eagles, Oct./Nov/Dec. 1999, v.22 #4, pages 14-18.

Cite As: Winchester Regional Airport Collection, 1442 THL, Stewart Bell Jr. Archives, Handley Regional Library, Winchester, VA, USA.

Organization:

BOX 1 Winchester Regional Airport

News Articles—Winchester Regional Airport—unnumbered leaves, printed (photocopy)

Environmental assessment to install an instrument landing system, completed September 17, 1993, by Federal Aviation Administration, 1 item, typescript, 62 pages

Environmental assessment report for runway extension completed April 17, 1990, prepared by Delta Associates, P.E., Inc., 1 item, printed, spiral bound, unnumbered pages

Master Plan, Winchester Airport, Final Report, Phase I, Airport Requirements, June 1977, prepared by Henningson, Durham and Richardson, 1 item, printed

“Winchester’s Three Airports, a Brief History,” by Robert Noyer, published in Virginia Eagles, Official Newsletter of the Virginia Aeronautical Historical Society, Oct./Nov/Dec. 1999, v.22 #4, pages 14-18, printed, photocopy

Winchester Regional Airport Authority Act – 1987, 1995, 16 leaves, typescript

BOX 2

Minutes of stockholders meeting of Admiral Byrd Airport, March 26, 1931 to May 24, 1954 (name changed to Valley Airways, Inc. on May 29, 1934)

 

BOX 3

Aviation History

 

“First Aeroplane to Visit Winchester, April 1912,” by Robert Noyer, published in Virginia Eagles, Official Newsletter of the Virginia Aeronautical Historical Society, Oct/Nov/Dec 2000, v23 #4, pages 10-12, printed, photocopy

Flying Circuses and Early Aviation – Charlie Douglass Scrapbook, 1929, 1930, 1932, covers activities throughout the East Coast and includes log book of forced landings, 1 item

Souvenir Card – “Souvenir of Your Flight”, Admiral Byrd Airport, Inc., Winchester, Virginia, May 6, 1932, 1 leaf, printed