Kent Street Presbyterian Church Collection

Stewart Bell Jr. Archives Room
Handley Regional Library / Winchester-Frederick County Historical Society

Kent Street Presbyterian Church Collection, 701 THL

Scope and Content: This collection contains two treasurer’s books, one with few entries from 1836 through 1901 and one with extensive information from 1847 through 1867 of the Kent Street Presbyterian Church in Winchester, VA. A list of members’ names is included. An undated pew rental chart is also a part of this collection. (1 box) Last updated 06/03.

Biographical/Historical: A group of members from the Old Stone Church (built ca. 1788) withdrew from that congregation and bought the lot at the northeast corner of Kent and Boscawen Streets on November 15, 1825. The church was erected in 1827. During the time he was in Winchester, General Stonewall Jackson worshipped at Kent Street. He and Mrs. Jackson lived for a part of the winter of 1861-62 with Dr. and Mrs. James Robert Graham at the Kent Street Church Manse, 319 N. Braddock St. Although the Kent Street and Old Stone Congregations reunited in 1834, they again split in 1838 with a group becoming the Loudoun Street Church. On March 22, 1900, the Kent Street and Loudoun Street congregations merged and the Kent Street property was sold. (The congregation is now First Presbyterian Church –See 1135 THL)

Cite As: Kent Street Presbyterian Church Collection, 702 THL, Stewart Bell Jr. Archives, Handley Regional Library, Winchester, VA.

Organization:

Box 1

List of names, no date, 4 pages, manuscript

Financial records - 1866-1867, 5 items, 4 pages, 1 leaf, manuscript

Treasurer's book - scant entries for 1836, 1837, 1876-1877, 1901, 1 item, manuscript, bound

Treasurer's book - 1847-1867, 1 item, manuscript, bound

"The Kent Street Church," [by Mary E. Bush], [1933], 7 leaves, manuscript (copy)

Mapcase 1, Drawer 9

Pew rental chart, manuscript