Interlibrary Loan Procedures
Interlibrary Loan (ILL) offers patrons the opportunity to request and receive materials that are not owned by Handley Regional Library (HRL). ILL provides access to the circulating collections of library systems in Virginia and throughout the United States. ILL materials do not fall under the same borrowing guidelines as materials owned by HRL; varying check-out durations, fees, and special handling may apply. See Interlibrary Loan Policy statement.
Placing an ILL request
- ILL service is available to anyone holding a current adult HRL card in good standing, with the exception of 3-month or 6-month nonresident cards and Internet-only cards.
- Requests must be made in person at the Reference / Information Desk (Bowman, Clarke, or Handley) or by faxing a completed form to 540 / 869-9001.
- Patrons may have a total of five (5) requests outstanding at any stage of the ILL process (checked out, requested, in transit) at one time.
- ILL material will be delivered to the branch library of the patron’s choice. (Unlike HRL-owned materials that can be sent to any branch in the library system, interlibrary loan materials must be picked up and returned to the same location.)
- Patrons will be contacted when material is available for pickup. Patrons should allow at least 3 to 4 weeks for delivery, See more