Old School Baptist Church Records

Stewart Bell Jr. Archives Room
Handley Regional Library / Winchester-Frederick County Historical Society

Old School Baptist Church Records, 551 THL

Scope and Content: This collection contains two deeds to the Old School Baptist Church in Winchester, VA. One deed is dated May 9, 1868 and is an agreement for the Old School Baptist Church congregation to use a stone church in the northeast part of Winchester for services once a month. The second deed is dated March 9, 1932 and reflects the purchase of the church lot on the east side of East Lane. Last updated 01/19/2011.

Biographical/Historical: The Old Stone Presbyterian Church was deeded on Nov. 2, 1858 to the Old School Baptist Church of Color for $500. In 1868, the Old School Baptist Church deeded the property to Nathan Brackett, trustee for the Free Will Baptist Church of Winchester. On May 31, 1875, an agreement was made with the Winchester School Board to use their building as a school for black children of Winchester until 1927 when the school moved to North Kent Street becoming the Douglas School.

Bibliography: Notes from the collection.

Cite As: Old School Baptist Church Records, 551 THL, Stewart Bell Jr. Archives, Handley Regional Library, Winchester, VA, USA.

Mapcase 5, Drawer 8

Deed?Old School Baptist Church, John Linn, Trustee, use of a stone church in the northeast part of Winchester, VA, one Sunday of each month, May 9, 1868, Winchester Deed Book 11, page 496, 2 leaves, manuscript (photocopy)

Deed?The Old School Congregational Baptist Church, church and lot, east side of East lane, March 9, 1932, Winchester Deed Book 52, page 86, 1 leaf, typescript (photocopy)

Lease between Colored Baptist church and Winchester School Board for use of building as a school; copy of minutes from School board, August 12, 1875, 3 leaves, typescript