Middletown, VA Collection

Stewart Bell Jr. Archives Room
Handley Regional Library / Winchester-Frederick County Historical Society

Middletown, VA Collection, 1499 THL

Scope and Content: This collection contains materials concerning Middletown, VA. Some notable items in the collection are an account book dated from January 2, 1806 to June 29, 1806 with an index and a list of lots assigned stockholders by the Middletown Land and Improvement Co. and drawing of lots, July 2 and 3, 1890, Middletown, VA. Also included are the forms prepared by the Middletown Heritage Society in 2003 to register Middletown Historic District with the National Register of Historic Places.
(1 box) Last updated 08/04.

Biographical/Historical: Middletown, originally known as Senseny Town, was chartered on May 4, 1796, by Dr. Peter Senseny. The name was changed to Middletown because it was located mid-way between Stephens City and Strasburg. It is located south of Winchester, VA on US Route 11, also known as the Great Wagon Road.

Bibliography: Kalbian, Maral S. Frederick County, VA: History Through Architecture. Winchester, VA: Winchester-Frederick County Historical Society Rural Landmarks Publication Committee, 1999.

Cite As: Middletown, VA Collection, 1499 THL, Stewart Bell Jr. Archives, Handley Regional Library, Winchester, VA, USA.

Organization:

Box 1

Middletown Land and Improvement Company—Lists of Lots Assigned Stockholders, July 2 and 3, 1890, 9 leaves printed (photocopy)

Middletown—General Merchandise Ledger, manuscript, Jan. 2, 1806 - June 29, 1806
Indexed by Walt Brown May 8, 2003, 4 leaves, typescript

National Register of Historic Places Registration Form—Middletown Historic District, June 23, 2003, 45 leaves, typescript (photocopy)