Jordan Springs Collection

Stewart Bell Jr. Archives Room
Handley Regional Library / Winchester-Frederick County Historical Society

Jordan Springs Collection, 885 WFCHS

Scope and Content: This collection contains articles, copies of newspaper clippings, photographs and miscellaneous items detailing the evolution of Jordan’s White Sulphur Springs. Jordan Springs is located in Stephenson, VA, USA and was a popular retreat for many out of town visitors. (1 box) Last updated 03/10.

Biographical/Historical: The Jordan’s White Sulphur Springs resort was opened in the early 1800s by Branch Jordan. His nephew Edwin C. Jordan expanded it in 1885, and again in 1893. The latest of these had ceased to be operated as a spa by 1951, and was used for various purposes after that time.

Bibliography: Kalbian, Maral S. History Through Architecture. Frederick County, VA: Winchester-Frederick County Historical Society, 1999.

Cite As: Jordan Springs Collection, 885 WFCHS, Stewart Bell Jr. Archives, Handley Regional Library, Winchester, VA, USA.

Organization:

Box 1

Historic Jordan Springs Event and Cultural Centre, 1 booklet, printed, 1 page, printed

Jordan, Edwin Clarendon, Diary excepts, July 27, 1892 – December 21, 1894, 2 leaves, typescript (photocopy)

Jordan’s White Sulphur Springs, July 4, 1893 – 1950, 5 items, printed

Franklin Foundation Institute, speech made by Jay Cook to Kiwanis Club Luncheon, May 16, 1951, 4 leaves, typescript (photocopy)

Franklin Foundation Institute, 1951 – 1953, news articles, 8 items

Catholic Seminary, 1953

Jordan Springs, news articles, printed (photocopy)