James Wood High School Collection

Stewart Bell Jr. Archives Room
Handley Regional Library / Winchester-Frederick County Historical Society

James Wood High School Collection, 689 THL

Scope and Content: The James Wood High School Collection consists of materials regarding the school, including: supplements to "Quarter of a Century of Athletics", a 1987 football program, literary magazines, and material about the Ridge Campus Dedication. (1 box) Last updated 11/10.

Biographical/Historical: James Wood High School was established in 1950. Five area schools were consolidated to form the student body. The land for the school was purchased from the Glass Estate with the condition that the school be named after the founder of Winchester, Virginia, James Wood. At the time of opening, there were 1,048 students ranging from grades 5 through 12. Additions to the school were built in 1963 and 1968. This building is now used for the junior high school covering grades 6 through 8 and is called James Wood Middle School. A new high school, located on Apple Pie Ridge Rd., was dedicated in 1981 as the James Wood High School—Ridge Campus.

Cite As: James Wood High School Collection, 689 THL, Stewart Bell Jr. Archives, Handley Regional Library, Winchester, VA.

Organization:

Box 1

Integration – 2 leaves, printed

"James Wood High School Athletics - Quarter of a Century of Athletics, 1950-1974," 1 item, 106 pages, printed

"James Wood High School Athletics" - supplements, 1984-1981, 6 items, printed

James Wood High School - football program, September 18, 1987,1 item, 64 pages, printed

James Wood High School - literary magazine, 1974 and 1977, 2 items, printed

James Wood High School Prom, 1980, 1 item, mimeograph

James Wood High School - Ridge Campus
News article on groundbreaking, March 21, 1978, 1 leaf, printed (photocopy)
Dedication program, booklet, 8 pages, printed

Trophies: James Wood Annual Staff, 1974-75

Valley Collection at James Wood High School Library, 47 leaves, printed

Photos:

Oversize – Winchester Buildings – 1313 Amherst St., b/w print of James Wood School, drawn by F. Andrew Boyd, 1996.