Fort Loudoun, Virginia Collection

Stewart Bell Jr. Archives Room
Handley Regional Library / Winchester-Frederick County Historical Society

Fort Loudoun, Virginia Collection, 580 WFCHS

Scope and Content: This collection is comprised of a map of Winchester, VA (1989) showing the location and copies of technical drawings of Ft. Loudoun (1756).
(1 box) Last updated 08/06.

Biographical/Historical: Fort Loudoun was designed and built by Col. George Washington on land granted by James Wood in 1756. The fort was named after Lord Loudoun who was commander-in-chief of the British armies. By 1757, the essential parts of the fort were built covering a half an acre. Fort Loudoun was never attacked. At the start of the Revolution the guns were removed and it later became the site of several educational institutions throughout the 1800s.

Fort Loudoun is currently buried underneath Fort Loudoun Apartments and houses on North Loudoun Street. An excavation project is under way in cooperation with the Winchester Regional Preservation Office of the Virginia Department of Historic Resources. The French and Indian War Foundation of Winchester, VA has acquired an antebellum house (419 N. Loudoun St.) built on part of the site of Fort Loudoun. For more information, go to www.frenchandindianwarfoundation.org.

Cite As: Fort Loudoun, VA Collection, 580 WFCHS, Stewart Bell Jr. Archives, Handley Regional Library, Winchester, VA, USA.

Organization:

Box 1

News articles—unnumbered pages, printed (photocopy)

Mapcase 2, Drawer 10

Map of Winchester, 1989, depicting location of Fort Loudoun, 1 leaf, printed (photocopy)

Technical drawings of Fort Loudoun, 1756, 11 items, manuscript (photocopy)
from Library of Congress

Fort Loudoun—250th Anniversary of its Birth, Speech presented by Norman Baker, May 20, 2006

 

Stewart Bell Jr. Archives Room
Handley Regional Library
Winchester-Frederick County Historical Society

P.O. Box 58, Winchester, VA 22604
(540) 662-9041, fax (540) 722-4769
archives@handleyregional.org (e-mail)
www.handleyregional.org