First United Methodist Church Records

Stewart Bell Jr. Archives Room
Handley Regional Library / Winchester-Frederick County Historical Society

First United Methodist Church Records, 1461 THL/WFCHS

SCOPE AND CONTENT: This Winchester, VA church collection contains church records, directories, bulletins, and blueprints of the Education Building built in 1961 and church alterations made in 1988.
(2 boxes) Last updated 09/11.

BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: The church began as part of the United Brethren denomination, and became a distinct organization in 1800. By 1834, the first regular minister was assigned to the Winchester Mission, and the first church building was erected in 1872. The current church building was built in 1922. In May, 1968, the church merged with a Methodist Church, and adopted its current name, First United Methodist Church.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: Carr, Clay B and Mildred L., Historical Sketches of Places of Worship, Winchester and Frederick County, Virginia, Winchester Printers, Winchester, VA, June, 1968, pg. 38.

CITE AS: First United Methodist Church Records, 1461 THL/WFCHS, Stewart Bell Jr. Archives, Handley Regional Library, Winchester, VA, USA.

ORGANIZATION:

Box 1

Pictorial History of the Virginia Conference, by David Franklin Glovier, 1965, McClure Printing Company, Staunton, VA, 350 pages, printed

Conference reports book, 1910-1948, 153 pages, manuscript

Church directories, 3 items, printed
1962, 2 copies
1966

Church directories, 4 items, printed
1975
1980, 2 copies
1985

Church directories, 5 items, printed
1988, 3 copies
1991
1993

Church papers, 1870-1939, folder contains the following items: List of ministers, 1 page, manuscript
Deed to lot, June 6, 1912, 2 leaves, typescript; 1 envelope, printed
Report on lot, October 23, 1915, 1 leaf, typescript
Resolution for mortgage on parsonage, January 2, 1916, 2 leaves, typescript
Winchester Station official members list, [1939], 1 page, typescript (copy)

Church papers, 1940-1949, folder contains the following items:
Worship service bulletins
September 29, 1940, 1 page, printed
April 6, 1944, 1 page, printed
Reflections on original church, by Mrs. Mary Omps, no date, 1 page, typescript
Ballot for Sunday School election, August 18, 1846, 1 page, typescript
Minutes of official board, May 19, 1948, 1 page, manuscript

Church papers, 1961-1989, folder contains the following items:
Education Building blueprint, [1961], 1 leaf, manuscript
Education Building brochure, no date, 2 copies, 4 pages, printed
Education Building dedication, August 13, 1961, 1 page, printed, encapsulated
Women's Society of World Service Yearbook, 1968, 22 pages, printed
Invitation to dedication of organ and sanctuary, May 21, 1989, 5 copies, 1 leaf, printed; 1 envelope, manuscript

Newspaper articles, 1946-1973, 7 items, printed

Programs of special services, folder contains the following items:
75th anniversary, November 30, 1947, 2 copies, 1 page, printed
100th anniversary, November 25, 1973, 4 copies, 4 pages, printed
Dedication of Education Building, August 13, 1961, 2 copies, 6 pages, printed
Homecoming, October 13, 1985, 2 pages, printed

Virginia Conference News, 4 items, printed
April 1947
April 1948
August 1949
May 1966

 

 

Box 2

Bound church bulletins, 1974-1990, 13 volumes, printed

1974-1975

1976-1977

1978-1979

1980-1981

1982

1983

1984

1985

1986

1987

1988

1989

1990

MapCase 1, Drawer 4

Blueprint of church alterations, 1988, 14 leaves, manuscript

Photographs

Photographs of the church building and activities are filed in the Photograph Collection. The Church address is 302-304 North Braddock Street.

Return to inventory index page
Return to Archives page
Return to Handley Regional Library home page

 

Stewart Bell Jr. Archives Room
Handley Regional Library
Winchester-Frederick County Historical Society

P.O. Box 58, Winchester, VA 22604
(540) 662-9041, fax (540) 722-4769
archives@handleyregional.org (e-mail)
www.handleyregional.org