Fairfax Hall Records, 480 WFCHS/THL

Scope and Content: This collection has catalogues, certificates, and commencement and baccalaureate programs of Fairfax Hall. Also included are copies of The Fairfax Review, a publication written by students.

(1 box) Last updated 03/10.

Biographical/Historical: The Rev. Silas Billings and his daughters, Mary E. and Cornelia F. Billings established Fairfax Hall, a school for girls in Winchester, VA, in 1869. The school occupied the premises of the former Valley Female Institute (112 S. Cameron St., which is still standing) until 1902 when it was moved to the Winchester Inn (109 S. Stewart St.). It closed around 1904.

Bibliography: Quarles, Garland R. Winchester, Virginia—Streets—Churches—Schools. Winchester, VA: Winchester-Frederick County Historical Society, 1996.

Cite As: Fairfax Hall Records, 480 WFCHS/THL, Stewart Bell Jr. Archives, Handley Regional Library, Winchester, VA, USA.

Organization:

Box 1

Baccalaureate and commencement invitations and programs, 10 items, printed; 1 envelope, manuscript

1871 1885
1876 1886
1880 (with photocopy) 1887
1884 1888

Catalogs, printed

1877-1878 1890-1891
1880-1981 1893-1894
1884-1885  
[c. 1900], 2 copies

Certificates and reports, 3 items, manuscript on printed form
Etta Robinson - June 16, 1871; June 23, 1873
Godfrey; Miller - first quarter, 1885

Correspondence, 1874, 1 page, manuscript

The Fairfax Review (written by students), 22 items, printed
1881 -- Volume 2, No. 1
1882 -- Volume 2, Nos. 2, 3, 6
1883 -- Volume 3, Nos. 1 (2 copies), 2 (2 copies), 3 (2 copies), 4, 5, 6 (2 copies)
1884 -- Volume 4, No. 1
1885 -- Volume 4, No. 4
1886 -- Volume 5, Nos. 1, 3
1887 -- Volume 6, No. 2
1888 -- Volume 6, No. 3
1889 -- Vacation number (2 copies)

News clippings, 3 items, 2 pages, printed; 1 leaf, printed (photocopy)

Receipts – Check and Receipt for Hettie Jacob’s tuition and board, August 29, 1882, 2 leaves, printed and manuscript