Episcopal Female Institute Records, 156 THL/WFCHS

Scope and Content: This collection contains items, which give names of students and teachers as well as catalogues describing classes and facilities, and the minutes of the Board of Directors.

(1 box) Last updated 02/12.

Biographical/Historical: The institute was established in 1874 by a group of local citizens under the sponsorship of the Protestant Episcopal Church of the Diocese of Virginia to provide education to daughters or wards of members of that church. By 1911, the school had closed and all real estate was sold.

Cite As: Episcopal Female Institute Records, 156 THL/WFCHS, Stewart Bell Jr. Archives, Handley Regional Library, Winchester, VA, USA.

BOX 1

Minutes of the Board, 1874-1910, 1 book, manuscript

News articles—unnumbered, printed (photocopy)

Resolution, June 24, 1895, l leaf, 1 page, manuscript

Episcopal Female Institute catalogs, 3 items, printed
1874-1875
1875-1876
1876-1877

Episcopal Female Institute Commencement Exercises, 1876, 1905, 1907, 1908, 1909, 1910, ND, 7 items, printed, 1 envelope

Episcopal Female Institute announcements, 3 items, printed,
1885-86
1896-97 (2 copies)

Deed-Episcopal Female Institute and John W. Rice – Jan. 9, 1895, Fragment Dated March 18

MAPCASE 1, Drawer 14 (Oversized)

Certificate of Proficiency, Gertrude N. Baker, June 15, 1887

Poem depicting students and customs of Episcopal Female Institute, no author or date, 2 pages, manuscript

Photographs filed in Photo file, also available in Past Perfect

Winchester, VA, 135 North Braddock Street

Episcopal Female Institute students and teachers, 1895, b/w glossy, mounted