Conrad & Tucker Law Firm Records, 401 WFCHS

SCOPE AND CONTENT: This collection is comprised of two-day books (1848, 1854-59), an account book (1830s), and miscellaneous papers (1830-1860) belonging to the Conrad and Tucker law firm of Winchester, Virginia. (1 box) Last updated 02/14.

BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: Robert Y. Conrad (1805-1875) was one of Winchester’s most prominent lawyers and politicians during the Civil War ear. Conrad represented Frederick County at the Virginia secession convention in 1861, and was one of the most outspoken leaders for the Confederacy in Winchester during the war. Elected to Congress from Frederick County after the war, the Reconstruction government never allowed him to serve. He is buried in Mount Hebron Cemetery, Winchester, Virginia.

John Randolph Tucker (1823-1897) was born in Winchester, Virginia, the son of Judge Henry St. George Tucker. Shortly after graduating from University of Virginia law he became law partners with Robert Y. Conrad. In 1857, Randolph left the law firm to serve as the Attorney General of Virginia. He served in that capacity throughout the Civil War, and was Confederate President Jefferson Davis’ lawyer after his capture. Tucker also served in the U.S Congress and was a professor at Washington and Lee University in Lexington, VA after the war. He is buried in Mount Hebron Cemetery, Winchester, Virginia.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: Quarles, Garland R., Some Worthy Lives, Winchester, VAL Winchester-Frederick County Historical Society, 1988, pgs. 74-5; 230-1; Lee, Susan P., "John Randolph Tucker", The Green Bag, Vol. IX, No. 12 (Dec., 1897)

CITE AS: Conrad and Tucker Law Firm Records #401 THL, Stewart Bell Jr. Archives, Handley Regional Library, Winchester, VA.

ORGANIZATION:

BOX 1

Miscellaneous papers, c. 1830-1860, manuscript

Account book, 1830s, belonging to Robert Conrad, manuscript (microfilmed by Virginia State Library, 1976)

Day book, Conrad & Tucker, c. 1848, manuscript (microfilmed by Virginia State Library, 1976)

Day book, Conrad & Tucker, 1854-1859, manuscript (microfilmed by Virginia State Library, 1976)