Christ Episcopal Church Records

Stewart Bell Jr. Archives Room
Handley Regional Library
Winchester-Frederick County Historical Society

684 THL

Scope and Content: This collection contains parish registers, accounts, correspondence, sermons, directories, vestry records, treasurer’s records, minutes, journals, and bound volumes of the church’s newsletter, The Angelus (1946-1976). Christ Episcopal Church is located in Winchester, VA. This is a documentation of the operation and business of the church, including membership, marriages, committee business, and baptisms. Also included is a journal of Alexander Balmain (1740-1821), Rector of Christ Church.
(5 boxes) Last updated 08/2016.

Biographical/Historical: The first parish organized in the Colony of Virginia west of the Blue Ridge, Frederick Parish was created in 1738. Two rectors, Reverend Charles Mynn Thruston (1738-1812) and Reverend Alexander Balmain (1740-1821), also played significant roles in the American Revolution, 1775-1783. The name Christ Church was given in 1827 by the Annual Council of the Diocese of Virginia. Union Generals Philip Sheridan (1831-1888) and George Armstrong Custer (1839-1876) attended the church during the American Civil War, 1861-1865, much to the disapproval of some local citizens.

Designed by Robert Mills (1781-1855), who also designed the Washington Monument, the present church building was constructed in 1828 and is the oldest church building in Winchester in continuous use for religious purposes. Located in the churchyard is the tomb of Thomas Lord Fairfax (1693-1781), Colonial Virginia’s largest property owner.

Cite As: Christ Episcopal Church Records, 684 THL, Stewart Bell Jr. Archives, Handley Regional Library, Winchester, VA.

Organization:

Box 1

Journal of Alexander Balmain, 1782-1821, 1 item, bound manuscript, photocopy in Archives Storage Room, oversize books. Baptisms and funerals are listed after 1816.
(Note for an abstract of marriages from the journal, see Dola Tylor Collection, 63 WFCHS, Box 3, "Marriages from the Journal of Dr. Alexander Balmain")

Box 2

Christ Church Parish Register, 1826-1865, 2 items, manuscript on printed form, bound, no index. (Note: This register has multiple listings, because each rector entered his records separately)

Marriages

1825-1842, pages 2-8

 

1848-1852, pages 33-34

 

1843-1865, pages 117-123

 

1864, page 193

 

 

Communicants

1842-1845, pages 10-14

 

1848-1856, pages 35-46

 

1856-1860, pages 49-54

 

1861, 55-67

 

1864, pages 171-184

 

 

Baptisms

1848-1856, pages 15-20

 

1826-1842, pages 144-158

 

1843-1861, pages 160-170

 

1864-1865, pages 187-188

 

 

Funerals

1848-1861, pages 21-24

 

1864-1865, page 196

 

1826-1842, pages 318-326

 

1843-1865, pages 328-330

 

 

Confirmations

1848-1860, pages 27-30

 

1861, page 371

 

 

Contributions

1848, pages 47-48

 

Christ Church Parish Register, 1876-1887
Families, 1876, pages 13-54
Baptisms, 1876-1887, pages 78-125
Confirmations, 1877-1887, pages 150-156
Communicants, 1886, pages 162-166
Marriages, 1876-1887, pages 194-199
Burials, 1876-1887, pages 217-228
Offerings/convention reports, 1877-1886, pages 231-233

St. Stephens Church Parish Register, 1900-1935
History, 1905-1940, pages 2-9
Baptisms, 1905-1949, pages 30-33
Confirmations, 1910-1946, pages 63-64
Communicants, 1915-1946, pages 100-101
Marriages, 1941-1942, pages 134-135
Burials, 1913-1956, pages 144-145
Offerings, 1911-1912, page 165

Box 3

Auxiliary Colonization Society
Account book, 1818-1842, 17 pages, manuscript
List of subscribers, 2 leaves, manuscript
Receipts, 8 leaves, manuscript

Building account, 1833, 2 leaves, manuscript

John Bruce's account of charges for building the edifice corner Water and Washington streets, he having charge of same and furnishing design, 1829-1833, 1 item, 26 pages, manuscript, bound’

CDs – Adult Forum, Christ Episcopal Church, 4 items
            January 13, 2008, Teresa Massie
            January 16, 2008, Mike Foreman
            January 27, 2008, Teresa Massie
            February 3, 2008, Gene and June Babb

Church Tour – “Artifacts, Facts, and Treasures”, Christ Episcopal Church, April, 2007, 1 item, printed

Committee of Clergy Placement, c. 1939, 1 leaf, typescript

Correspondence – Charles Covell, 9 items
1 leaf, manuscript on printed form
1 leaf, manuscript (postcard)
1 leaf, typescript; 6 leaves, typescript (copy)

Directory of Christ Episcopal Church, 1922, 1965, 2 items, printed

Directory of Christ Episcopal Church, 1982, 1987, 1996, 2001, 4 items, printed

Easements, 1970, 4 items, 1 leaf, typescript; 4 leaves, typescript, copy; 3 leaves, survey

Favorite recipes, Woman's Auxiliary, 1948, 1 item, 37 pages, printed

Journal of the Convention of the Protestant Episcopal Church in the Diocese of Virginia, May 19, 1847, 1 item, 88 pages, printed

Lawsuit - John Gordon's salary, 1747-1762, 9 leaves, typescript (copy); 1 leaf, manuscript

Lawsuit, Vestry vs. Newill – construction of Cunningham's Chapel, 1774-1789, 6 leaves, typescript

Lord Fairfax Crypt – Invitation to Dedication, December 9 (no year given), 1 item, printed

Miscellaneous historical notes, 1 leaf, manuscript; 6 leaves, manuscript (copy); 1 leaf, typescript (photocopy)

Music Programs—“The Crucifixion,” c. 1918; 1 item, printed, 2 pages; Organ Recital by Howard R. Thatcher, assisted by Joan C. Van Hulsteyn (July 23, 1912); 1 program, printed

Newsletter – Our Assistant, 2 items, printed
Volume V, No. 7, no date
Volume VI, No. 8, December 1895

St. Thomas Church – transfer, 1967, 1 leaf, typescript; 2 leaves, typescript (copy); 4 leaves, typescript (photocopy); 2 leaves, printed (photocopy)

Sermon – "The Duty of Spreading the Gospel," January 6, 1820,1 item, 16 pages, printed

Vestry and early history of Frederick Parish, including rectors, 1738-1886, 2 leaves, 2 pages, manuscript

Box 4

Vestry records - minutes, 4 items, bound
1869-1877, 52 pages, manuscript
1877-1924, 329 pages, manuscript and typescript
1924-1939, unnumbered pages, typescript
1940-1949, unnumbered pages, typescript

  1. H. Hubbard -journal, 1875-1895, commences with the Rectorship of the Parish of the Incarnation, Washington, DC, 1 item, manuscript, bound, no index
    Record of services, 1871-1896, pages 7-291
    Baptisms, 1871-1893, pages 315-345
    Confirmations, 1872-1896, pages 385-399
    Marriages, 1871-1895, pages 415-423
    Burials, 1871-1895, pages 455-467
    Financial records, 1876-1896, pages 546-568

William D. Smith - journal, 1891-1892, 1 item, manuscript, bound, no index
Texts, pages 1-14
Accounts, pages 32-39
Baptisms, page 101
Funerals, page 109
Marriages, page 115
Confirmations, page 125

William D. Smith – correspondence and notes, 9 items, 2 postcards; 6 leaves, manuscript; 1 leaf, manuscript on printed form

Treasurer's records, 1904-1908, 1 item, 151 pages, manuscript, bound

Communicants, 1911, 1 item, 2 pages, 1 leaf, manuscript, bound

Marriages, 1920-1954, 1 item, 198 pages, manuscript on printed form, bound

Register of church services, 3 items, unnumbered pages, manuscript on printed form, bound
1946-1951
1952-1958
959-1964

Box 5

The Angelus, newsletter, 1946-1976, 14 volumes, printed, bound

BOX 6

Parish Profile 2006 – one item, printed

News Articles – unnumbered, printed (photocopy)

Mapcase 1, Drawer 4

Minutes to Vestry for the Parish of Frederick, January 4, 1764 – February 16, 1772, manuscript (photocopy); 24 leaves

See AlsoMagazine of Virginia Genealogy –  Frederick Parish, Frederick County, Vestry Book 1764-1818 (Overseers of the Poor) abstracted by Victor Dunn; beginning with Vol. 45