Centenary United Church of Christ Collection, 719 THL/WFCHS

Stewart Bell Jr. Archives Room
Handley Regional Library / Winchester-Frederick County Historical Society

Centenary United Church of Christ Collection, 719 THL/WFCHS

SCOPE AND CONTENT: The collection of the Centenary United Church of Christ, Winchester, VA, contains brochures, histories, record books, yearbooks, and photomechanical reproductions of records found in the Record Book of the Church 1741-1887. Records date from 1741 to 1941 and document the church history and its occupation and destruction by Union forces. Also included is a 1750 deed transferring land for a church to the Reformed Calvinists from Thomas Lord Fairfax (1693-1781). (1 box) Last updated 06/03.

BIOGRAPHICAL/HISTORICAL: This congregation was originally known as the Reformed Calvinists or German Reformed Church at its founding in 1741 in Kernstown, VA. They moved in 1753 to Winchester, VA building a church on land deeded by Thomas Lord Fairfax (1693-1781). In 1841, the church was renamed the Centenary Reformed Church and a new church building was erected on the present corner of South Cameron and East Cork Streets, Winchester, VA. During the American Civil War, 1861-1865, the Church was converted into a hospital and stable by Union troops whenever Union forces were in possession of Winchester. In 1934, the church became known as the Centenary Evangelical and Reformed Church and, in 1957, the church’s name became Centenary United Church of Christ.
CITE AS: Centenary United Church of Christ Collection, 719 THL/WFCHS, Stewart Bell Jr. Archives, Handley Regional Library, Winchester, VA.


ORGANIZATION:
BOX 1
News clippings, The Winchester Star, 1991-1992, 4 items
Civil War – Centenary Reformed Church
War Claims Report of the U. S. House of Representatives, for claim filed by trustees of Centenary Church, March 13, 1894, 4 pages, printed
“Evidence of the Use, Occupancy, and Destruction by the United States Forces of the Centenary Reformed Church, Winchester, VA, 1862 – 1865” presented by the Board of Missions of the Three Eastern Synods of the Reformed Church or the United States. Printed by the Times Co., Winchester, VA 1888, 8 pages, printed
Bulletins, 1919, 1 item, printed
Invitation - lecture on Near East, by Rev. Paul Leinbach, February 22, 1920, 1 leaf, printed
Bicentennial celebration of Congregation, 1941, 4 leaves, typescript
250th anniversary, 1741-1991, booklet, 2 items, printed
Yearbook and Church Directory, 1916 [1930-31] 2 items, printed


A Brief Historical Sketch of the Virginia Classis of the Reformed Church in the United States, by J. Silor Garrison, Published in connection with the Centennial Celebration of the Organization of the Classis, 1825-1925, 1 item, printed
Centenary Church of Christ - record book, c. 1741-1887, containing baptisms, deaths, marriages, communicants, subscriptions, news clippings, 1 item, manuscript
Centenary Church of Christ - photocopies of records in Record Book, 45 leaves, manuscript (photocopy)
Deed from Lord Fairfax for Reformed Calvinists, 1750, 1 item, framed, manuscript (photocopy available in the Lord Fairfax Collection, 57 THL)


Other names by which this congregation has been known
Reformed Calvinists Congregation
The Winchester German Reformed Church
German Reformed Centenary Church of Winchester
Centenary Reformed Church
Centenary Evangelical and Reformed Church