Beth El Congregation Collection, 723 WFCHS

Scope and Content: This contains a program from the Cornerstone Laying and Dedication Service and Rededication Service with a history of the Beth El Congregation 1954-1974 and a history of the Jewish Community in Winchester, VA.

(1 box) Last updated 11/06.

Biographical/Historical: The Beth El Congregation of Winchester, VA, served by Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion since 1953 has been affiliated from 1956 with the Union of American Hebrew Congregations, the organization of the Reform movement in Judaism. The temple construction was completed at 520 Fairmont Avenue, Winchester, in 1956. The Beth El Congregation continues to serve the Winchester area and surrounding Lower Shenandoah Valley communities.

Cite As: Beth El Congregation Collection, 723 WFCHS, Stewart Bell Jr. Archives, Handley Regional Library, Winchester, VA.

Organization:

Box 1

News articles—unnumbered, printed (photocopy)

Cornerstone Laying and Dedication Service – March 11, 1956, 1 item, printed, 2 pages

Rededication Service and Mortgage Retirement Ceremony – September 20-21, 1974, 1 item, typescript (mimeograph), 8 pages

Jewish Heritage of the Winchester Community, 1 item, 29 leaves, typescript (photocopy)

Bar Mitzvah Services
Samuel Firestone Stiebel, 8 April 1995, printed, 36 pages
Zachary Allan Recht, 15 June 1996, printed, 34 pages

Bat Mitzvah Services
Lauren Elizabeth Connor, 15 May 1997, printed, 36 pages