The primary mission of Fairfield Public Library is to provide access to information of an educational and recreational nature for the residents of Fairfield and those areas contracting service with the library. The library will give priority to these service responses:
- Current Topics and Titles - Provide ready access to current materials in a wide variety of subject areas and formats.
- Lifelong Learning - Offer opportunities for ongoing, self-directed growth and development.
- Commons - Be a place where residents enjoy meeting, interacting with others, and participating in public discourse.
- Information Literacy - Guide patrons in finding, evaluating, and using information effectively.
- Basic Literacy - Support patrons in reaching their personal literacy goals.
By focusing on these five areas of service, the library will promote an informed citizenry and strive to enrich the personal lives of its residents.
To fulfill this mission, Fairfield Public Library will develop and maintain a collection in a wide variety of formats and provide other means of information access. A competent staff will be employed to develop, interpret and disseminate the collection. The staff will identify the community's information needs and strive to meet them.
The library will provide physical facilities and current technologies that enable the staff to efficiently and comfortably deliver the collection and services. The library will work with other local agencies, the Regional Library System, and the State Library to achieve these goals.
Adopted as revised 6/19/06