The Chippewa River District Library System
The Chippewa River District Library System provides materials and services to enrich, enlighten and inspire all of the people in our community. Special emphasis is placed on stimulating an interest and appreciation in young children, promoting recreational reading for all ages, and utilizing the library as a reference and independent learning center
On May 20th, 1998 the Library of Michigan officially recognized the Chippewa River District Library system as a legally established district library. A volunteer board of eight trustees governs the Chippewa River District Library System. The Board of Trustees meets monthly. For a list of board members, board meeting information or board policies, please call 989-772-3242, ext. 19 or click the CRDL.org website. The district area currently encompasses the City of Mt. Pleasant, the Mt. Pleasant Public School System, Union Township, Coe Township, Fremont Township, and Rolland Township. The library system is funded by a millage levied in the district area. The district serves roughly 51,000 in-district residents with Veterans Memorial Library in Mt. Pleasant, Faith Johnston Memorial Library in Rosebush, the Shepherd Community Library in Shepherd, the Fremont Township Library in Winn, and the Rolland Township Library in Blanchard.
Veterans Memorial Library
Mt. Pleasant's first library was organized on March 15th, 1879. It was known as the Library, Literary and Musical Association of Mt. Pleasant and was housed wherever there was an available space. Being an association, its materials were only available to members. After a fire destroyed most of the books in 1895, the Library, Literary and Musical Association faded away. In 1909 a movement, championed by the Mt. Pleasant Woman's Club, began to establish a public library in Mt. Pleasant. The first board was named on December 6th, 1909 and the library opened on March 19th, 1910 in a building on South Main Street over Jamison and Young's office. The library later moved into the house of Mr. and Mrs. L.N. Smith at 412 E. Broadway. In a few short years the library had outgrown that building and was relocated to the First congregational Society of the City of Mt. Pleasant (formerly known as the Unitarian Society) on the Southeast corner of Illinois Street and Normal Avenue (subsequently named College St. and now University Ave.), Veterans Memorial Library's current location. the Mt. Pleasant Woman's Club raised $2,693.12 for equipment to furnish this new location.
In 1953 plans for financing and constructing a new library building were studied by community leaders. Money from a special library building fund, municipal court funds, a postwar building fund and a loan from other municipal funds were put together, and with the old church literally falling down, a new library building was placed into service in April of 1957. Not only was there a new building, but a new name as well. On May 24th, 1957, the library was dedicated to Mt. Pleasant's veterans of all wars - Veterans Memorial Library. By 1974 the library was already running into space limitations. As the community continued to grow, so did demand for library services. After years of exploring multiple possibilities, voters approved a $1.2 million bond in June of 1983 to expand Veterans Memorial Library into the building we use today. The building expansion was completed in 1985.
When the Mt. Pleasant Post Office relocated to a new facility in 2002, the old Post Office and the parcel of land it sat on became available. Feeling the pressure of increasing demands for library services, the library board took advantage of this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, purchased the former Post Office in 2003 and along with it a much needed parking lot. The former Post Office was renovated just enough to make the building usable, attached to Veterans Memorial Library, and named the Library Annex.
In 2010 Veterans Memorial Library was renovated using the support of many generous donors and funds from the library's millage. The renovation included new lights, HVAC system, computer networking, paint, and carpeting as well as rearranging the layout of the building to better accommodate our patrons needs.
Faith Johnston Memorial Library
Faith Johnston was a very giving spirit throughout her lifetime; giving of her wisdom, time, and resources, so it was in her nature to aid the library when they were in need of a new library space. Due to the generosity of Faith Johnston the Rosebush Branch Library was able to expand and find a home within the walls of the one room clapboard church on Michigan Street in 1993. The building began to show signs of stress both within its original foundation and the floor due to the enormous weight and strain of the book stacks. As would be expected just as the community grew, so did the contents of the library. In the summer of 2006 the library district was able to purchase a large commercial space located at 4035 N. Mission in the center of the village. Renovations for the new library space began with the partnering of CMU's IET department (its staff, students, and the Home Builders Student Chapter) and the library district. Once plans were approved by the County, demolition took place, and then the rebirth of the building was set into motion.
The new location of the Faith Johnston Memorial Library branch of the Chippewa River District Library system was complete and opened its doors on Monday, August 27, 2007. The new space is three times larger than the old space and while it provides the same quality services to the community that it always did, it can now offer additional children's programs, as well as, teen and adult programs. There is also a large community gathering space and a meeting room for public use. Included in the expansion was the addition of separate adult and youth computer space, as well as, a wireless network providing the community with free internet access, and separate areas for relaxing and studying for adults, teens, and children. A unique feature that patrons can enjoy in the warmer months of the year is the reading porch located in the back of the building.
Shepherd Community Library
In February of 2011 the Chippewa River District Library System acquired the old Kentwood Pharmacy building (257 W. Wright Ave.) in downtown Shepherd as the future site of the Shepherd Community LIbrary. While renovations to the building included upgrading the heating, electrical, and networking systems, we were very excited for the opportunity to revitalize a historic building in downtown Shepherd and were able to maintain a large portion of the buildings historical integrity. Some changes to interior walls helped to define the space for patron usage and historic windows were uncovered to allow us to fully utilize natural light. Upgrades within the building allowed for more computer workstations, laptops and wireless access, and provide more room for study and reading space. Programming space was added which enabled your CRDL to increase programming and library activities for the Shepherd community. These changes allow your CRDL to provide easy access to information and cultural activities - whether in print, audio, in person or online in order to help meet your educational goals and improve quality of life.
The official Grand Opening of the Shepherd Community Library was held on Thursday, September 20th, 2012. With these changes and upgrades, our hope is that your new library building will become a center of community activity in Shepherd.
Fremont Township Library
The Fremont Township Library is located in Winn, a small farming community nestled in the southern half of Isabella County. The library is flanked on one side by Cedar Valley Antiques (in the same building) and on the other by the Judge’s Bench bar and grill (across the street). The building that houses the library is over a century old. It originally served as the headquarters and meeting place for the local chapter of the Masons, who also constructed the building; they held their meetings upstairs and rented the two downstairs units to local businesses. Since it was erected in 1908, the space has been used as a meat market, an ice cream parlor, and a grocery store; the township board and Food for Friends also held meetings there. The library first took up residence in the building in 1981 and has been there ever since.
Rolland Township Library
The Rolland Township Library is located in the village of Blanchard, at the extreme western end of Isabella County. It is known by its traditional name, The Rolland Township Library but many know it simply as The Blanchard Library, which is how it is listed in the local phone book. The library has been located in the Rolland Township Hall since it moved in to that location in 2003. The library operates on the first floor of this historical building in a space which also functions as a meeting hall for the Rolland Township Board, for tax collections, town meetings and other community groups. The building was constructed in 1903 by the Oddfellows as a meeting facility. Later the building was purchased by the Masons, who used the upstairs area for a meeting hall, banquet facilities and visitor’s accommodations, while the first floor was rented out to businesses. In 1973 the building was acquired by Rolland Township to be used for board meetings, public meetings, banquet facilities and, in the upstairs area, for storage, including all the elements of Blanchard’s traditional holiday season street displays. The facility is located in the center of the village of Blanchard, on Main Street, close to shops and other businesses. The library, which is fully air conditioned, has a public restroom and is open to the public for 30 hours each week
Library leadership is currently reviewing options and working toward addressing space issues in Winn and Blanchard. Through a partnerships with the Winn Activity Center and the Winn Elementary School, the library reaches out to young patrons in the community to keep them reading throughout the summer. Both libraries offer a great selection of materials as well as high speed Internet and an interesting place to explore new ideas and discover wonderful stories.
CRDL feels strongly that library buildings are more than just functional spaces, they are about providing exciting new services to help our children learn and grow, improved and equal access to current and emerging technologies, and enhanced recreational, educational, and cultural opportunities for seniors, families, and individuals of all ages.